Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am dying to know what you won't tell me in the post below about the endoscopy, if you don't want to type it on here, please email it to me

I need to know.

ThanksEdited by: ChippedAway

chippedaway: if its the message i read, i think confused left it out for a reason... i expect it was a bad experience of the endoscopy... hence why they said " get anti-emetic drugs" i think it wud be better for you if the curiosity didnt get the better of you ... im sure it wont help...

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipped Away,

I posted on your other topic about this, but I feel like you really need reassurance about this test.

I have had it done four times due to a medical conditon that I have and I have NEVER had a bad experience with it.

I have never even had the least little hint of nausea. Compared to other tests I have had it is easy.

I know it is difficult to do something new and you are very apprehensive and fearful which is understandable but they need to do the test for diagnostic reasons. They will most likely give you something that will relax you and the actual test doesn't take very long at all. It is over before you know it. Please try not to be afraid or cancel your test.I know that is easier said than done, but believe me I am a real chicken and have made it through this test just fine.</font>
    Debbie

This is one of the problems with coming on here and asking questions. If you really use logic, then you could ask a question about every single thing in the universe - and if you asked EVERYONE, then at least one person would have vomited from the damn experience. Think of it. Ask about every food in the world, every medical test, every medication, while wearing every type of clothing, on every date or time in life, during every life experience (exams, wedding day, the hairdresser, picking cabbages, changing lightbulbs). I mean, really! If you ask enough people, someone will have vomited from everything.

So let's start with the worst-case scenario. "Confused" vomited before, during or after this test. SO WHAT????????????????? That DOESN'T mean that you will (or anyone else reading this.) In fact, even the emetophobes on this board who are terrified of all "gagging" things were all perfectly fine during the test.THAT'S why I advised "Confused" not to post such things - I knew it would freak you out and you wouldn't want to get the test done.

Just because one person barfed once during either this test OR ANY OTHER THING ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH does not mean that you will. The whole point of phobias is that phobics fear things that almost never happen. Like just cuz some planes have crashed occasionally phobics think it's acceptable to be afraid in all planes at all times. THIS MAKES NO SENSE. More people die in cars than planes, butthe same people arenot afraid in all cars at all times.

Similarly, if you really lived your life based on the advice of one person who vomited once, you'd never do ANYTHING, cuz for sure someone has once vomited doing it. If you were going for anX-rayon your toe, would you fear vomiting? No. But if you asked everyoneon the planet ifthey've ever vomited during a toe x-ray, eventually you'd find someone. IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The test is safe. It doesn't cause vomiting. Vomiting ruins the test, so doctors make sure you don't vomit. IGNORE one lone story from one person - DON'T base your decision on that "evidence" - that's just dumb. Go with the majority - listen to them...then BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. If most people don't vomit, you won't either.

Oh, and one final word: tell the doctors and clinicians that you're a phobic. Explain it to them as clearly as you possibly can - EMPHASIZE how afraid you are. Let them help you. Let them reassure you, or order medication or whatever. Most medical people are glad to help.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I needed to get it knocked back into my head. I'm not a phobic that really avoids things, I sit in the middle of the row in class, I ride roller coasters, and I go on road trips. I am nauseous because of ulcers or something else (that they are going to look and see) and I am worried that if something makes me gag, I will vomit because I am already nauseous so much.

I'm not cancelling it. I finally told my mom how afraid of vomiting I am, she was a little skeptical, yet I am not the type to be overly dramatic about anything, so she's going to call them tomorrow and ask if it would be possible to get an anti-emetic, if not just for peace of mind on my part.

Actually, if I could, that would take away everything I'm nervous about, I think the CT scan was worse because it was really hard to drink the barium! Like a whole jug of it, that was pretty gross. So this one will be easier than that.

all i can say is: you go for it chipped. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

Ya - way to go! And drinking berium IS worse for the patients I see. It's amazing anyone can keep that stuff down, but people do all the time, no matter how sick they are in the first place. You'll be fine! Let us all know.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks...

My mom called, they said they won't give anti-emetics, but the nurse on the phone said she's been doing this for 10 years and has never seen or heard of anybody vomiting during this one, she said for other, longer procedures, but not for the one I am having. She said the doctor I'm using is quick, she said he is usually done in 3-5 minutes! And she doubts I'll remember anything about it, most people don't.

I'll let you all know what they find, I have the follow up appointment on Thursday, so I don't have long to wait at all, and I like that.

Actually the worse part right now is that I can't take ibuprofin, and I had 3 fillings today and my jaw is sore... whine whine [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

awwww, whining is good. u sound a lot more optimistic about the whole thing, which is good !!

Jen xxxxx

MSN:

I'm sooooo sorry. I never ment to cause such problems. Sage was right, I should never have wrote what I did, all it did was make you afraid. I'll be more careful when I post from now on.

Although I hadn't checked the site in a few days, I kinda did it on purpose, because I felt really really bad, and I wanted to avoid typing out anything that could change your opinion based on what happend to me, because I felt like I had done enough damage and I knew that if you heard my story you'd probably cancel. so i wanted to wait until after you had the test, so I couldn't cause any more problems.

I am really sorry if I caused you or anyone else any anxiety, I was only trying to let you know that yes, I did in fact get sick, and you should look into anti-emetics. It was tramatic to me because I was just a little kid, but the details aren't important. I was just trying to help you out.

I am so sorry that I caused such a problem.

Aha - see? A little kid...totally different story than a teenager or an adult. Little kids have underdeveloped GI systems and vomit a lot more, and easier.

Don't worry about the faux pas, Confused...we all do it once - I did the same thing to Allyryder and scared the hell out of her cuz she gave her dog something to "test" and he ate it so she concluded it must be ok...and I said oh no don't do that cuz I've seen my own dog eat beef stroganoff that's been in the garbage for 3 days and smelt to high heaven so that's no test...you get the idea...anyway, sometimes you just don't think about how scared people are around here.

This was a good learning for everyone reading.

Best of luck Chipped! I'm sure you'll be ok. Let us all know.