Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

so I am afraid to drink because of my phobia and i was wondering how you guys got started. i always panic even after one sip of beer. the only time i ever got drunk i got high too and came home and threw up, everything was fine but the next day i was like, HOLY s*** I THREW UP and haven't drank since.....i feel like my social life suffers cause of this

hi,

yeah i know waht you mean, i have troubles with alchol, i dont like to drink alot because of my phoia and i will avoid going to places where there will be alot of alchol involved

I have no trouble whatsoever with alcohol. In fact, at times it is the only thing I can take to calm me down when I'm having a panic attack. I rarely over indulge though and with practice I have learnt to recognise the point at which I have had enough to ensure no nasty side-effects.

I think there are two issues here. Firstly, why you feel the need to drink. Plenty don't and it shouldn't affect your social life just because you prefer to abstain. Hopefully no-one's putting you under pressure. Remember, it's OK not to! However, if you would like to partake in the odd tipple now and again, try something long and light, like a white wine spritzer, and drink with a meal - you'll notice it less then. And stick to just the one for a while so you get to learn how alcohol makes you feel. One glass of wine with food will not make you ill, unless of course you are allergic to alcohol, which is unlikely as most of us tolerate it far too well!

I find a glass of wine or two the perfect way to relax when I'm stressed but I know it's not for everyone. Good luck!

I can say that I have never been drunk because of my emetophobia. I am 32 and have never drunk enough to go beyong buzzed.

I panic too sometimes while srinking and always down a glass of water between drinks.
    This is the only time that my fiance loves my emetophobia because he has a live-in designated driver.

Wow I was the opposite. None of my friends knew about my phobia so I drank to fit in with my friends so I thought! When I felt 'no pain' I felt normal that I was one of them. Puking never bothered me at all I was so far gone. The hangovers were the killer. I ended up quiting alcohol altogether for me and my son's. I gave up the friends who drank all the time. Now I can't stand the smell of beer or any alcohol. So now for the past 7 years I have dealt with this phobia with no alcohol at all.
    Having a few drinks won't make you sick, just stop at 2 or 3 and start drinking water. Everyone should know their limits.
    I look at people who are drunk and acting really stupid with their I love you's and you are the best, and to think I may have been one of them!!!

My hubby's always trying to get me to get drunk with him. I just don't want that nasty drunk feeling or the hangover. It's not worth it to me. Maybe I'll just get "buzzed".lol
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I have got into a realllly bad habit of having a few glasses of wine every night, I know its not so good for me but i like it andI dont drink to excess.

I have a few memoriesof getting so blitzed that I stayed by the toilet all night feeling gross but..............nothing happened. Im sure I would have prob felt better if I had v*!!!

Its up to the individual really and deciding whether a) you like it and b) whether yyou can have a couple and stop when youve had enough!!!

I have too many other crappy issues going on in my life at the mo to stop medoing something that I like!!!

Laney xx

I myself don't mind v-ing, but because I hate it when I get so drunk and out of control, I usually just drink enought to get buzzed.

I do, however, avoid parties a lot of the time when there will be alcohol. I can control the way I act, but not the way otherschoose ot act and I don't like putting myself in positions where I might be exposed to watching others v-.

I'm scared to drink too. I've had small amounts (like maybe a quarter of a glass) a couple of times of wine.. I'm scared to go over that, because I don't want to get drunk and be sick. I also know that I have a tendency to get strong reactions to medicine (like, if a medicine says "may cause drowsiness" and I takeunder therequired dosage, I will probably fall asleep) so I worry what my reaction to alcohol may be. Though, I'm going to college next year and I want to be able to party....I know I would still be underage so it's illegal.. but I still do want to have fun V_V I wish there was a way I could just know how much I should drink in order to feel relaxed and not sick, without having to experiment and find out how much my body can tolerate.....

i dont drink alcholol too much, maybe sometimes a little.

[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I'm a bit of a typical student - have been absolutely wasted a few times this year!

It wasn't always like that. I was too scared to have more than say, 3 drinks, in my first year at Uni because of my emetophobia.

Don't know how it started, but I had a few more one night and had a hilarious time, and felt OK. So I kept increasing the amount (not nec. purposely...I'm just a social drinker). My emet is under control these days so I will drink quite a lot. I didn't want emet to stop me having fun with my friends.

I've had the room-spinning lots without nausea, but things went too far in November...mixed terribly and had my worst panic attack and bout of nausea in two years. I wasn't sick thoughand had a very supportive friend with me who was fantastic.

Since then I don't mix (if I do, it's not to excess) and I've always eaten before drinking, and I always stop drinking and start on the water as soon as I feel a bit dodgy. Generally though, alcohol doesn't affect my stomach as badly as other people, and I only sporadically feel sick because of it.

I drink wine and it chills me out so that i don't worry nearly as much. I don't get drunk, just buzzed. I don't fear v* from the wine.

The last time I was actually DRUNK was at my 21st birthday party (Last year in September) I didn't get sick or anything but I did have one HELL of a bad hangover...and because I can't take my meds while I'm drinking I didn't sleep at all that night...and on top of all that my friend got a little too touchy feely with me that night.

Since then I know my limit. I can have one martini, I won't drink any more then that. It doesn't even get me buzzed any more cause I guess I'm starting to tolerate it but I have one just about once a week or so. You just have to know your limit, but like everyone said don't go out and start drinking everything in sight. Have one or two drinks. When you get buzzed you'll know it, and then you should stop.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i love my alcohol... yes i hate the nausea and the hangovers and everything but i hav had enough experience to know where to stop and how to handle it... my rules are:
    1) ALWAYS eat somethihng with carbohydrates and proteins before a night of drinking.
    (i usually go with rice, pasta, bread, meats and potatoes). This will stop you from getting sick as you wont be drinking on an empty stomach and there is something to soak up excess alcohol.
    2) keep drinking water.. i know i used to roll my eyes at the whole 'drink a glass of water after every alcoholic drink' but until i tried it i was bearing the WORST hangovers. this REALY REALY helps. it flushes out your system and keeps you hydrated.
    3) because i love my vodka i always drink it with the typical orange juice and for a very good reason. orange juice is known to speed up your liver, therefore working on the alcohol a lot faster and getting it out of your system in double time.
    4) before i pass out when i get home, i make sure i drink a glass or two of water and again eat something with carbs, usually bread or crackers or something as it will soak up the excess alcohol in your belly and stop you from feeling sick.

and then, if for any reason i DO feel sick the next day, i have my stemetil (an anti-emetic) and cigarettes to save me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] but i assure you if you are sensible wit your drinking, know how to handle your grog and do it for enjoyment, (not to get completely blitzed off this planet, which i know can be fun [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) lol... drinking is normal and enjoyable...

stef - everything happens for a reason

This is my 1st time posting anything on this site, my shrink recomended this website to me and OH MY GOD, do you know how good it feels to read your replies???! I never realised that so many people had this phobia and hadfelt what I was thinking and feeling. I thoughtI was some sort of freak and wimp.

As far as drinking is concerned, I can drink sometimes, before I got hooked on anti-emetics I used to drink, I'm 26 and only got really drunk once and thrown up, I've sat up all night fighting it but only actually sick once and I have to say because I was with someone else and they were sick first and held my hand whilst I was being sick it was ok. It has been the only time in my life that I didn't fight it or fear it and felt safe and like it was going to stop. Now I have a bucket load of anti emetics I don't drink coz it says ' DONT TAKE WITH ALCOHOL', and I have been so reliant on these tablets to get me through I haven't really drank... Although I am trying not to take Cyclizine anymore so have been having the odd glass of wine and it feels GREAT!

I dont drink..nit only because of my phobia..but msotly because i dont feel the need to.

It floors me that you feel that not drinking effects your social
    life. To me it is a sad day when somone has to drink to
    socialize. I have had two sips of alcohol my entire life and am a
    rahter socail eprson. I can go out to bars and to aprties and
    have a spectacular time without alcohol. If people dont invite me
    out because i dont drink then screw em..its a personal choice that i ma
    proud of.

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by stef
    i love my alcohol... yes i hate the nausea and the hangovers and everything but i hav had enough experience to know where to stop and how to handle it... my rules are:
    1) ALWAYS eat somethihng with carbohydrates and proteins before a night of drinking.
    (i usually go with rice, pasta, bread, meats and potatoes). This will stop you from getting sick as you wont be drinking on an empty stomach and there is something to soak up excess alcohol.
    2) keep drinking water.. i know i used to roll my eyes at the whole 'drink a glass of water after every alcoholic drink' but until i tried it i was bearing the WORST hangovers. this REALY REALY helps. it flushes out your system and keeps you hydrated.
    3) because i love my vodka i always drink it with the typical orange juice and for a very good reason. orange juice is known to speed up your liver, therefore working on the alcohol a lot faster and getting it out of your system in double time.
    4) before i pass out when i get home, i make sure i drink a glass or two of water and again eat something with carbs, usually bread or crackers or something as it will soak up the excess alcohol in your belly and stop you from feeling sick.

and then, if for any reason i DO feel sick the next day, i have my stemetil (an anti-emetic) and cigarettes to save me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] but i assure you if you are sensible wit your drinking, know how to handle your grog and do it for enjoyment, (not to get completely blitzed off this planet, which i know can be fun [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) lol... drinking is normal and enjoyable...

thats really good advice, thanks, and to everyone else

i am still a little nervous to get drunk but im going to try...

I have no trouble with alcohol- I generally end the day with a glass of wine, and start it with a coffee and rye, lol. That being said- I only get 'drunk'about once a month- even then it's not even extreme....just a few glasses of wine. Definitely not to the point of doing anything stupid or falling all over the place.

I enjoy the taste, and the little 'kick' it gives me- in the morning a little nip gets me awake. and at night a glass of wine helps me settle down and relax. That's not saying that I need it- I can go without it quite easily (and have done so on many occasions).

I don't need alcohol to be sociable- there have been many times when I have gone out with friends and ordered coffee or a tonic instead, because I just wasn't in the mood to drink. It's not something I ever feel obliged to do when going out, or feel that I 'need' it to be able to interact with people.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skint- you can drink without getting 'drunk'. A few drinks, with glasses of water in between, will allow you to feel a bit relaxed/uninhibited without the nasty side effects of nausea, vomitting, and a killer hangover. That, and you shouldn't feel 'obligated' to get drunk- what's the positive anyway? What really stops me from drinking to excess is seeing other people who have already reached that point stumble around and make arses of themselves.

Go out and have fun! But don't feel that you need to get 'drunk' to do so...

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i agree with amber, you dont need to get drunk to enjoy alchol, i have never been drunk before, but avoid alchol, unless it is a special occasion, like going out fora meal, where i wioll only have one glass!