Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: therapy

[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I've heard that a lot of people have had success with explosure therapy but
    the only time I really panic anymore is when I feel sick or have an upset
    stomach. I get a little nervous when my kids or husband feel ill - I certainly
    don't want to be anywhere near them while they are getting sick but I don't
    really have too much of a problem cleaning it up say.

My body cannot differentiate between nausea and panic/anxiety and I just
    don't think exposure therapy would do anything for that.
    anyone else?
    thoughts?

Hi Velvet,

Actually gradual exposure WILL help with that, if your therapist knows what s/he's doing. So long as looking at a picture or video raises your anxiety, even a little, then your brain can start to "re-learn" (i.e., make new synaptic connections). You can learn how to lower your anxiety level after it gets raised ever so slightly. This will help your brain to "understand" that you can TELL it what to do. (Sorry if this sounds overly simplistic). Then you can tell it not to be anxious when your stomach does funny things, or in certain situations.

So that's how it works.

Check out the Treatments thread for lots of info about how to find a therapist, the nature of this disorder, etc.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

so do they make you make yourself sick?

woodsy...you should read sage's article on treatments and how she was cured...it is a relief! No they dont make you sick...

not only do they not make you get sick, "they"shouldn't MAKE YOU do anything! YOu are in the driver's seat in your own therapy. Never agree to ANYTHING that makes you anxious or uncomfortable. TALK to your therapist about the course of treatment, etc.Let him or her know you want NO SUPRISES EVER under any circumstances. (My therapist assured me of this himself when I first went, and I similarly assure my own clients...however I heard of one treatment program where they threw a bag of vomit at a client one day by surprise...then made her carry it around all day...what idiots are those, eh?)

You're in control. you decide...you demand to know everything before it happens.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.