Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey everyone! This is my first post

I actually stumbled upon this forum because of an emetophobic incident today that left me feeling embarrassed and ridiculous... and I just HAD to find out what was wrong with me!

Today I went out to dinner with a few co-workers. One of my co-workers brought her two-year-old son. Her son was just getting over a cold, and had a phlegmy cough.

The verysecond I heard him cough that phlegmy cough, I felt as if the world had lurched andjolted inside my head. For a few seconds I couldn't focus on anything but the cough. I was SO afraid that he would vomit...and was so relieved when he didn't.

Then, about 15 minutes later, as I was looking over at him and smiling at his cuteness, he opened his mouth again (which was full of chewed-up food, btw) and coughed the phlegmy cough again.

I gasped and my body turned cold and I jumped about a foot in the air and turned my head away from the sight as fast as I could, even though he didn't vomit or even cough again. He wasn't even close to vomiting. It was a completely involuntary reaction... it happened so fast. My co-workers all stared at me as if I were crazy. I tried to play it off like I had been about to sneeze.

Oh, and just yesterday, I had the fortune of being stuck in a crowded van next to a carsick friend as we stopped and started and stopped and started in the crowded city streets. Although she didn't vomit, I was gripped with fear and panic the entire car ride, and I couldn't focus on anything else but my carsick friend and the movement of the vehicle. I monitored every little movement she made and every little change in her facial expression and PRAYED that she wouldn't vomit. I KNOW I would have completely freaked out if she had.

When I vomited a few years ago from drinking too much (the first time and only time I had ever vomited since I was 7, and I'm 23 now), I was surprised at how easy it was, and I thought I would be able to get over the emetophobia once and for all. But now it's back, and I don't know what to do... I know I should get treatment for it or something, but the thought of seeing/smelling/hearing vomit scares me so much that I can't bring myself to do anything about it.

sigh...Edited by: luv2travel

Hi! Welcome! I think many of us here (me for example) are also terrified of seeing other people v-. I am in complete agreement, I think I would have flipped s*it sitting next to a carsick friend.

There are many treatment ideas posted in the treatments section of this board. Plus we are here for help and support.

Welcome and good luck with overcoming this horrible phobia. I know that one day we will all be able to do it!

Hey, Welcome

Yes I would have reacted in the exact same way in that siutation..

As Kirsti said there are alot of information in the treatments thread have a look there.

I do hope that you find alot of support and infomation here, there are some lovely people here with alot of love and support to give..

Take Care

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks you guys for all the support!! I will definitely have to check out the Treatments section for hints. This is a terrible phobia and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but at the same time I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with this problem. I had been feeling so alone, especially since I've never met anyone else with the same issues, so I'm REALLY glad I have you guys now!

Looking forward to getting better with you all!!!!!

Nice to meet you, luv2travel! It's just amazing, the first time you realise you're not alone in this phobia...it's just so nice to know there are other people out there, feeling exactly the same!

Anyway, it's great to have you here. Take your steps along the road to recovery as slowly as you like - do things at your own pace! We're all here to help, so sing out if you ever need anything, or if you've just had a bad day...there's always someone to talk to here^__^

See you around!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"