Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just got a prescription for Ativan (lorazepam).* Has anyone had any trouble taking this?* Both my sisters takes it, and they haven't had any trouble.Edited by: Girlygirl1980s

No nausea at all. I do however find that I suffer from some memory loss.

Works WONDERS and keeps me calm all day long.

I take this all the time.....well i take xanax...and i take the generic of it...and i think it's about the same as what you have...no side effects..just a very calming feeling and relaxes me so i can sleep or i use it if i am panicing....i love this stuff!!!!!!!
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Have you ever felt worse after taking this? One of my sister's says sometimes she feels more anxious at first.Edited by: Girlygirl1980s

I love lorazepam, when I'm freaking out, I take one and it completely clears my head. It makesme a bit sleepy though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My mother-in-law was given lorazapam during chemo to help with her nausea. She actually has been taking it for over 30 years and I think she was addicted. It made her loopy and not in touch with reality. I think if you have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), which I think many of us do, you need to consider getting on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds which help to maintain a level of calmness that doesn't interrupt daily life. If you only take the xanax or lorezapam every now and then, you should be fine, but I think many people over use and abuse it.

If you are asking me that question...then the answer is no...it doesn't stop you from V at all....if that's the case...but it's for anxiety...and it just relaxes you and calms you down. I adore it. I only take it when needed...i can go for weeks without it....i only use it "IF" i get into a panic about something.....like if i "think" one of my kids might be sick...or something like that...if i can't fall asleep for some reason...and i am on a very low dose and i only take one when i do take them.....so it's something "to each his own" on this subject b/c i find it helps me alot...and i don't abuse it at all. Alot of people probably do, but i don't. I want the effect to last, not to have to keep upping my dose.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hey, I have been taking ativan for years ( not often ) But it has never made me v or n It i srelaxing and helps with anxious feelings

halfoverthefur, to answer your question, I have never actually V* since I have started taking Xanax, but when I do take it, I don't seem to care if I puke or not, however I do think it stops it (for me at least). Does that make sense?
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I did take a lorezopam before to get thro some doc appointments and surgery I was really freaked about, and I think it kind of helped, like maybe took the edge off, but I didn't feel like REAL relaxed or anything, I still had my wits about me. The very first time I took one tho yea it did make me able to well heh dance nakee on the table lol! I think tho the effects wear off quicker the more you take it, because by the 3rd time I took it it didn't help as much as the first time. It also depends on the dosage you get, I think mine was like 15mgs. No v*ing though.

Yes, that is what I wanted to know.* Thanks
    Edited by: Girlygirl1980s

Ativan also has anti-emetic qualities to it. They use it in the hospital for after surgery, if people are anxious AND nauseous together cuz it works for both. Also they use it to calm people down for transport by air or ambulance cuz it has anti motion-sickness qualities.

It's a little wonder drug! Too bad it's habit-forming and should be used sparingly!

The main side-effect is memory loss and drowsiness (it's also a good sleeping pill therefore).

Ask your doctor all these questions, though. I don't recommend you take our word for it - medical advice off the internet is never a good idea!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi

I don't recognise the name of this drug. Is is called something else in the UK?

Halfoverthefur, I agree with mjewell. when I feel nauseous, I take about less than .25 mg of xanax cuz I know if I'm nauseous, my anxiety comes next and if I let it go too long, it turns into a panic attack that requires a higher dosage of Xanax which I don't want. I've tested this several times. I just combat it right away. I wonder if xanax has an anti-emetic effect to it or if it is all just psychological. When I take xanax, I believe that it not only relaxes my body but also my insides such as the stomach if it feels like beginning to gag. Then my nausea if gone and I eat at normal while on the xanax. I have never taken xanax and felt n*--not even the first time I took it.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

xanax isn't an anti-emetic...which should be really good news to you....meaning, your nausea is in fact anxiety. So you have control over it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I love that little pill. I take it very sparingly, but when I'm really having a panicky time (like tonight) it is a life saver. I took one 45 minutes ago or so, and I can just feel myself relaxing. If anything, it takes away my nausea because it calms my anxiety. And anxiety always makes me queasy.