Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Rant

I went to the doctor today because i have been getting bad headaches and feeling ill. I told her i had emetophobia and therefore didn't know what feeling sick felt like, she grinned and kind of chuckled turned away from meand then said "did you vomit".

I feel stupid and wish i hadn't mentioned it. I feel as if bysaying i had a phobia was me being awkward. I know i could take sage's notes to her but to be honest i don't think she would be the slightest bit interested. I just wanted to say this instead of keeping it to myself and have it going around in my mind. Carol

Sounds like you have an inconsiderate doctor and you probably will be better off to find another one and soon. If they can't take you seriously then find another one. I hate that you had to go through that though. You would think a doctor would be more professional about her patients. Don't be embarassed about your phobia...just find someone who wil understand...feel better soon[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I don't support this doctor (or any) chuckling at a phobia, and she would get a piece of my mind if I were her patient.

But I am wondering - is it that she asked you if you got sick, but by sick, she literally meant did you vomit, rather than just, "did you feel nauseated?" Maybe that's why she was laughing because she figured that you would know if you had vomited or not. I guess that I am asking, could it have been a miscommunication between you two over the intended meaning of the word "sick"?

I think she was uncomfortable with the word emetophobia maybe because she didn't know what it meant. I have a problem admitting to it, so with my shame or embarresment and her lack of knowledge or interest the appointment didn't go so well.

I feel so bad for you! That is exactly what I am afraid of happening to me and why I am scared to mention it. I wish you luck in finding a new doctor!

Cloughie -

When I had surgery last month, I told the anesthesiologist I was emetophobic and wanted anti-nausea meds put into my IV - he laughed at me too. He said - "I've never heard it put that way". My response was - well then it's time you learned what that means. I was really offended. If you like the doctor otherwise, I would give her a second chance. If it comes up again - I would and her reaction is the same - I would not only give her a piece of my mind for her lack of bedside manner - but consider turning her in to the medical board...

Like with everything in life you get good and bad doctors. One doctor told me when I was in my mid-twenties the cure-all to my problems was to think about having a baby!!! He actually had the nerve to say if I had a baby to worry about then I wouldn't worry about trivial things likes v*ing in public (my biggest fear). How totally callous and stupid is that suggestion?! I was so upset and angry when I left the surgery that day. I told my dad, who at that time was a support worker for mentally ill people, he told his work friends (including psychologists, psychiatric nurses ie people who know a lot about mental health) and they were absolutely disgusted by the doctor's attitude. So you see any doctor that makes a flippant remark about their patient's problems, especially one that can badly effect life on a daily basis like chronic phobias, is just plain ignorant, and isn't worth worrying sleep over.

I never saw that doctor again, and never will. There is nothing to stop anyone changing doctors, so this would be my advice to you. Above all though, do not let this experience put you off confiding in people, especially the medical profession, about your phobia and fears. If they don't take you seriously they are ignorant and not very good at their job. Most people I have told about my emet have been very understanding and supportive, but there will always be the one idiot out there that will scoff or make light of it - if that comes from a medical professional you are in your rights to complain or just ask to see somebody else, if the attitude comes from a member of your family or friend just rise above it, they are not worth worrying about!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Aww im really sorry guys for the doctors doing that, yeah i think its best to find a doctor that understands, there will be some. Its like one doctor i went too just laughed at me and said you just have to go through it, which made me really upset. But the doctor i have now understood and gave me antiemetics for reasurance if i needed to take one, also the hospital understood when i went down there as i kept having dry heaves and it was hurting my stomach really bad and they gave me an injection which stopped it.

I had a brillaint doctor, who went out of his way to help me, but when we moved 6 years ago, we had to change because we were out of the area. Anyhow, the new doctor i had was totally selfish. She would never go out of her way to explain anything to me and she used to say my OCD was an excuse (for what??). Anyhow it went from that to always commenting on my weight (i'm a big girl) and she would always insist on weighing me, even when it wasn't necessary. When i stood on the scales she would then tut and say 'oh dear, we've been a bit naughty again, haven't we?' She f*d me up good and proper and in the end when i saw my psychiatrist, i told him i was self harming again because i was fat. He asked where i got that idea from and i told him about my dr. He was really nice and told me how to complain if i wasn't happy with the DR. I did complain and she then treated me even worse. In the end she wrote to me and asked me to get another doctor as we had a breakdown of doctor-patient relationship. I was at my wits end and i felt lost so much so that i begged my doctor from 6 years ago to help me find another doctor - he alas, could not get involved. Anyhow i joined another surgery, and i have never been treated better. My weight is never mentioned, unless i want to talk about it, and my new doctor has been brilliant about my pain killer addiction and is helping me through withdrawal (only its not going well!). Nothing is ever too much for my new doctor, and i am so glad i changed surgeries. It is important to get the right doctor and although i constantly fight for my 2 kids with learning disabilities to get the best in everything, i tend, as a carer, to forget about myself. I would never let anyone talk to my kids like that, but i just took it. You could ask the receptionist next time you need to make an appointment to see a doctor if they could recommend a sensitive doctor, thats what i did, and i can't believe my luck now.

And her point was? She can be patronizing? What she did was just plain mean and went against the grain of what doctors as supposed to be about. If I was presented to like that, I would shop around for another doctor. Minimizing and making fun of your phobia is just plain wrong.

Stella

Trudy, that doctor you used to see sounds awful - she really is in the wrong profession talking to people like that. She sounds rude, condescending and uncaring. Ok, if a doctor has a genuine concern about a patient's weight as they think it's affecting their health there are ways to go about it ie with friendly encouragement and discussing diets, not by belittling someone and trying to embarass them into losing weight. She needed a good slap, lol [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Anyway I'm glad to hear you have found a good doctor now. Oh, and by the way Trudy, I've just been looking at the pic thread and you have the most amazingly striking eyes - really beautiful! And your kids are adorable!

- Japanese proverb

Hi Tracey, the really funny thingabout my weight, afterI had Alice, I had a nervous breakdown and tried to commit suicideI weighed 8.5 stone. I was severely undernourished and very depressed. Anyway to cut a very long story short, my social worker was really worried and accompanyed me to the doctors, who admitted thatI needed to put on weight. I was literally like a skeleton wrapped in skin, my eyes were sunken - it was horrible. Anyhow the doctor (my first one who was nice) got the psychiatrist to put me on Prozac. This was in 2000. Shortly after we moved here and thats when i changed doctors. Over the years i have gone from an unhealthy 8.5 stone to a big 17.5 stone. Now i have had my heart monitored and i regulalry see a nurse for measurements etc., but it is put down to prozac - it is a side effect, but with me, because it makes me feel good and better about myself and my life, i eat more and i actually enjoy food now as opposed to years ago when i would go out of my way to avoid food, of any kind.

So, yes i have put on weight, but i am a better person, a better mum, a better wife, daughter, friend etc., to me that is a small price to pay. I eat sensibly and i come from a family of large women - my sister is always messing herself up over how much she eats. I just tend to enjoy food - well, i'm sure you know, as much as i can!!

I used to say thathorrible doctor had a real problem about something. Once in her room, i noticed her packed lunch on the table - in a small plastic container. It literally consisted of cut up fruit - hardly enough to feed my rats. I really believe, even now, she had serious problems of her own and actually envied me, because i was a better person and could eat what i want. It wasn't just me either, she used to make my hubby feel bad about his weight, and he is not huge!

Thanks for the lovely comments about my eyes! They have been my main feature for many a year - shame the rest of me has gone south, my peepers are still lookin' good!

Oh Tracey,I had to have one of my black boys (Dre) put to sleep a few weeks ago, so nowI only have 3 ratties. Have you still got your senior rattie?

Hi there. I'm so sorry you went through that, it must have been a nightmare time for you. I too used to be so skinny - I felt totally embarassed and wouldn't even wear a short sleeved t-shirt on hot days cos my arms were like matchsticks. I hated being thin and wanted to put weight on but couldn't. I was anxious most of the time and when I'm anxious I can't eat. Things changed when I started takingseroxat as it works so well in helping combat my anxiety/panics and depression I have such a ravinous appetite most of the time now! My weight went up and up, until I decided I had to start watching what I ate and try and losea few pounds- a totally new experience for me! But I'm so happy with not being skinny anymore, and have never felt better about the way I look (apart from the flippin ever increasing wrinkles and grey hairs...grrrrr, I'm 36 now, lol)! And good for you, who the hell cares if you are not Kate Moss size if you are happy, content and more confident - you are a lovely looking lady, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I'm so sorry about your loss of Dre, it's never easy. Yes, I still have my little old man - he'll be three in a couple of months. Bless his heart, he has hind leg paralysis and is balding all over - he looks so decrepit -but whilst he's still enjoying his food like he does and has quality of life I refuse to have him put to sleep. I have to wash him daily and help with his other needs but he enjoys his grooming sessions, licking and lovingly nibbling me, and he manages to pull himself around with his front legs so can still get around on his own. When I see he's not got quality of life anymore or is suffering I will have the vet help him on his way. I really am dreading that day.

- Japanese proverb