Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Why is it...?

Why is it that when I think of all the times I V*ed I don't remember it being THAT bad or THAT scary. In fact I remember this one time where I was V*ing like all day (That only happened once the other times I v*ed I only V*ed twice and that was it) but anyway I remember watching TV then calmly getting off of the couch and walking into the bathroom and V*ing. I don't get it. I was NEVER scared to V* myself when I was a kid, I was only afraid of others doing it. Now all of a sudden I'm scared of it and I don't understand why. I never had any truamatic expereinces with it, I mean like I said, I remember being calm and cool. What's up with that?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Hmm, I'm not sure. I know with myself I am afraid to do it, but when I
    do have to do it, its like I've resigned myself to my fate and I'm
    pretty okay. Then a few days or so after I'm sick, I get freaked again.
    I think its a matter of holding onto that "it really isn't so bad"
    feeling. I remember the first time I v*ed in like 10 years I actually
    laughed cause I was like "wow this is what I was scared of for that
    long?" but yea it usually manages to creep back in there, though its
    not near as bad as it was.

I'm with you Monica. I don't get it at all. Did you have anyone in your family that is an emet as well? A therapist once said that me that my emet was a learned behaviour.... my mum and my nanna (more so nan) pace around when they feel sick. Also, my dad used to get a bit merry when I was a kid and vomit and because mum suffered with emets she would rant and rave at him, therefore, I possibley see vomiting as a bad thing if you get what i mean.

Who knows.

Same here, when i was sick the other month due to to much acid in my stomach, i just let it happen and i was fine, i didn't or cry. The time before that which was about 3 years ago, i had this awfull pain in my side due to beinbg on my time of the month, it made me very sick and i V around 15 or so times, or even more and i didn't panic or cry then either and i remember laughing at myself as i couldnt acctuly stop being sick, in the end it stopped and after about 3 hours i was fine and ate some toast. I think its just the thought and build up of being sick that people fear..but some people fear actully doing it.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just goes to show that this is an irrational fear- that there actually is no reason to fear vomitting- it serves a purpose, and although gross, is not really all that horrible. Yet, for some reason (or for a combination of reasons) you mind has constructed vomitting as being a horrible act that should be avoided at all costs. Although logically one would assume that after you vomit- 'get it over with' so to speakand realize there is nothing to fear, the phobia would be over. However, one act can't necessarily de-program all that your mind has constructed which enabled this phobia.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

right on, crim. ... it's the anticipatory anxiety that is the killer. It's a strange phenomenon, and not "logical" which drives most human beings nuts. We think our logic is the only part of our brain operating, but the brain is just so complicated. The "danger" system in the brain will respond to logic, but 1) not quicly [i.e., over only a long period of time] and 2) not when continually stimulated. So if you're IN a situation where you're terrified, logic just shuts down. Yu can agree to it and hear it, but it won't stop the fear response. That's why you need to "play with it" gradually...very VERY slowly...i.e., gradual desensitization.

Once you're actually DOING the thing you fear, then all the parts of the brain agree: hey - this isn't dangerous! However a day later, that silly amygdala [fear centre] will start right up again playing tricks on the neo-cortex [logic centre].

Maybe if folks read these posts like,a hundred timesa day, then it would start to sink in...but maybe not! That's where setting up a treatment program with a therapist really helps.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.