Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello all. As alot of you know I overcame my fear of vomiting, however, I still have alot of anxiety and depression. I saw an infomercial on tv a couple of weeks ago for anxiety/depression. I am totally against all infomercials for fear they are a bunch of BS and a waste of money. Well...I ordered it, because there was a guarantee, and well, nothing else, not even meds worked for me.

My program arrived a few days later, containing 15 cds (including relaxation cd), 4dvd's, a work book, and note cards.

Guess what?? I am on cd #4, and I have already learned how to stop panic attacks altogether, be more positive and outgoing, and I have learned to not expect so much from others and myself. I am sooooooo much happier guys!!!! This program really works!!

It is a 15 week program. It teaches you step by step, to get over ALL anxieties completely! (including phobias) I am so damn grateful for this!

The founder's name is Lucinda Bassett, she is great. This program costs about $450, but it is a small price for me to get my life back. Not in your budget? Make monthly payments. Can't pay one month? They work with you. It is awesome.

I will post under this thread tomorrow, about how you can order it too!! You won't regret it!!!!! ~ Charlotte
    Spring is here!

By the way, I forgot to mention the method Lucinda uses; it is Cognitive Behavior Modification. You basically retrain your brain. ~Charlotte
    Spring is here!

They had a seminar here (Lucinda Bassett)and I went. There were 4 men and 3 women who were the hosts.After it was finished I told the guy about me and he gave me every thng for free, thecd's, the books etc. This was between him and I. This was about 3 years ago.
    I went through it all and it didn't work. I am glad I didn't pay. I think what works for some people may not work for others.
    I am glad it has helped you Char.

It sounds wonderful. I don't think my mom would buy me anything that is $450. but if I save up, I can buy it in about 2 years.

2 years and 14 day away![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Sora: Riku, you\'ve been hanging out in the darkness too long. You gotta try to think positive.
    Kingdom hearts II

I agree that it would be very helpful for some folks, not for others. I've seen this woman on TV as well and what she preaches is not wrong or untrue...it's just that the nature of some peoples' anxiety is so intense that it can ONLY be treated in relationship....not through books or CDs.

Glad it helped you, Charlotte. I also agree that just treating emetophobia without getting at the roots of what contributed to it will result in it showing up in other forms of anxiety. So it's good you're working on anxiety in general now.

For a lot less than $450,and the exact same idea, is a book by Bourne called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". I highly recommend it, esp. if you're the type of person who can be proactive and work away at your problem systematically.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree that some people feel more comfortable with having a live person help them, as opposed to cd's, workbooks, etc; however, I think that if a person did exactly what each weekly cd has to say, they can't go wrong as long as they do the work.

I have learned with this program how to stop the negetive intrusive thoughts, and turn them into exciting, comforting thoughts. Negetive self talk is what makes a person feel hopeless, and gives them a low self esteem.

I am one of the worst cases of anxiety...by far. In fact, before I started the positive self talk, I was worried that if I didn't have any of my negetive thoughts, I would run out of thoughts altogether (another neg thought...lol).

I realize that not alot of people can afford this program andI am one of them. I have worked out payments, and once I get my student loan next month, I will pay it off. It is also said on one of the papers that came with the program, that you may be able to have your insurance cover all/some of the costs.

There are many books out there for anxiety/depression, and I do believe they can work also. For me, I need the vocal guidance and assurance through the cds. Sage is right...not everyone can do this without a live person, which is understandable.

Charlotte-

Oh, Sage...you are also right about needing to get to the roots of anxiety. Just because I got rid of my emet, doesn't mean I never got rid of the anxiety that caused it in the first place! I still had that general "fearful" outlook, and now...I am FINALLY freeing myself!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Spring is here!

....I have listened to the entire program. I enjoy the relaxation session at night for sleeping but further to that, there's very littleit can do for me.

I really benefit from a 1 to 1 trusting relationship and talking things out, and self discovery coupled with treatment. I find that the CD's are very much a "one fits all" basis and each persons anxiety/phobia will develop individually and I think if you're pretty bad you have to understand your own reasons why it happened. The focus of the CD's was generally panic disorder/agoraphobia... Or that was my impression. I think if I suffered from one of those disorders, or I had just developed anxiety and didn't understand it all it would be very helpful. Everyone will think that their anxiety is horrific because it feels like it, but there is always someone worse out there. Honest. I'm an "urgent" case but my doctor still says I'll be at the bottom of a waiting list to be seen!

To be honest, I've been needing years of therapy, notsome CD's, andI agree with Sage.I like to chuck ideas about and see what my therapist/psychologist thinks... I just think there's no way a CD can replace a real live human who is trained to help you. Lucinda Bassett doesn't know you or your fear, hence the "one fits all" thing.

I'm glad they're working for you though and all the best! I've listened to them and although they helped me understand anxiety, they didn't help me recover.

Lesley x
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

So with this thread so far, it would seem that the consensus is that different people will benefit from different treatments (i.e. some from books, some from CDs, some from a human relationship). This is kind of like the prevailing theory about learning - some people are visual learners, some auditory, some kinesthetic, etc. We all have different ways.

So for people reading this thread, think about what type of treatment will benefit you (perhaps a combination?). What type of person are you? What do you imagine might help?

I think that the worst outcome of this thread is for someone to say to him/herself, "Oh well, these CDs won't help everyone. They probably won't help me. What's the sense in bothering?" By this, I mean feeling discouraged about treatment would be a bad outcome.

The idea is to try something. If that something doesn't work, then try something else, and don't give up.

Sometimes it can also be timing: Are you really ready to work on a treatment? Maybe something that didn't work before could work now because you, yourself, are in a different mindframe.

I read a lot of posts that say, "therapy didn't help me." "Exposure therapy didn't help me at all," and so on. But although it didn't help one person, that doesn't mean it won't help you. Again, it is indeed best not to allow the different experiences that someone had to discourage you from seeking treatment.

That's all I wanted to say.

Quote Originally Posted by japa

So with this thread so far, it would seem that the consensus is that different people will benefit from different treatments (i.e. some from books, some from CDs, some from a human relationship). This is kind of like the prevailing theory about learning - some people are visual learners, some auditory, some kinesthetic, etc. We all have different ways.

So for people reading this thread, think about what type of treatment will benefit you (perhaps a combination?). What type of person are you? What do you imagine might help?

I think that the worst outcome of this thread is for someone to say to him/herself, "Oh well, these CDs won't help everyone. They probably won't help me. What's the sense in bothering?" By this, I mean feeling discouraged about treatment would be a bad outcome.

The idea is to try something. If that something doesn't work, then try something else, and don't give up.

Sometimes it can also be timing: Are you really ready to work on a treatment? Maybe something that didn't work before could work now because you, yourself, are in a different mindframe.

I read a lot of posts that say, "therapy didn't help me." "Exposure therapy didn't help me at all," and so on. But although it didn't help one person, that doesn't mean it won't help you. Again, it is indeed best not to allow the different experiences that someone had to discourage you from seeking treatment.

That's all I wanted to say.

I truly believe that it is far too easy for a person to live in their "comfort zone" with anxiety, phobias, and depression. If one is not ready to take the step and say, "I am so ready to give this program my all and nothing will get in my way", then they should not waste their time and money. (same with any other treatment) No one will do the work for them...THEY have to make the program work; they will only get out of it, what they put in.

Sure...alot of people hate living with fear and anxiety...who doesn't? But some need to aske themselves, "are you really ready to step out of what you are used to, and have been used to for years?"

As for me, I am. I let go of my emet, which took a long time, and alot of hard work. Now it is time for me to dig into the deep sh** of my life; what has caused my anxiety? Or better yet, who cares...I need to get rid of it.

Japa, you are right (along with some others), different treatment for different people, but they shouldn't lose hope on trying new/different things. With this program I am working through (Attacking Anxiety & Depression, A Self-Help, Self-Awareness Program for stress, Anxiety & Depression) I feel as if I can handle the change. Why? Because it isn't overwhelming. You go into it gradually making a new change every week. I am uncomfortable with other fast paced treatments; they are just too much pressure.

I still see my psychologist weekly. It is awesome. He supports me with this program, and is on my side. I still get the "outlet" I need with therapy, and the fun stuff at home; at my own pace.

Please people, don't get discouraged because others on here aren't interested, or they say programs like these haven't worked for them. Everyone is different. Why not try, right? [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

~Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I purchased that program about six years ago, and it definitely helped me at the time, though didn't "cure" me. I felt better for a few months after, then started slipping into my old ways of thinking. I know I should got through it again, but I never seem to have the time. I've been super stressed with my upcoming surgery, which I'm afraid I'm going to chicken out of. This would be a great time for me to start doing the program again.

Quote Originally Posted by halfoverthefur
    I purchased that program about six years ago, and it definitely helped me at the time, though didn't "cure" me. I felt better for a few months after, then started slipping into my old ways of thinking. I know I should got through it again, but I never seem to have the time. I've been super stressed with my upcoming surgery, which I'm afraid I'm going to chicken out of. This would be a great time for me to start doing the program again.

Like my psychologist says...with a program like this, you must stay completely focused. He also said that under times of stress, it is all to easy to get sucked back in to the old ways (comfort zone) That is when you need to work the hardest.

I am glad it helped you, but maybe the next time you go through it, practice the tough times; challenge yourself. I know it is hard, but once you get through tough times with using the program, you will make it that much easier to stick with it forever~ [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] GOOD LUCK!!! Charlotte
    Spring is here!