Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was wondering..................has anyone ever had this problem, got braces, then some time after the braces come off, start to have the same problem?

When I was 14, I had an over bite and got braces, had them on for 1-1/2 years, then had to wear a retainer. Well, I decided the retainer was ugly and stop wearing it. I told my dad I lost it, and never got another one (because I was careless). It's been 20-something years now, and I have noticed over the years, very slowly, my teeth are moving/shifting.

So, if I would have kept wearing the retainer the length of time I was supposed to, would this be happening now?

I really, at my age, don't wanna get braces again.

Anyone, advice??
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Your teeth keep developing, to where they will be until your about 19 or 20 i think my orthodontist told me so your supposed to wear a retainer up until that point...

Oh my gosh. Do you really have buck teeth?? I'm so sorry. Shoot. I don't know what to suggest to you. I think I would go for the invisible braces. Have you thought of that?
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

CAROLEE~~

OMG!! I'm in my late 30's, and they're still moving---yikes!!!!

MEL~~~

They're not buck teeth, thank goodness, but they are just kinda still moving. The way I can tell, is that I open packages with my teeth, and I noticed that they don't "align" like they used to[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img].
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thank goodness you don't have buck teeth.lol I'm sorry. It just sounds funny. What about the invisible braces??
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

The invisible braces are a great idea!!

I think I will look into those---Thanks MEL[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

uugghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

i wore invisible braces after i got my real braces off because i refused to wear a metal retainer. lol. my teeth definitely shifted since i stopped wearing it. it's worth it... you will forget it's there! i don't know why i don't wear mine anymore because it wasn't uncomfortable at all. oh well. definitely look into it!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Thanks BLONDIE !!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

hmm this worries me, I am in a similar situation. I had my braces a few years ago (for an overbite and a couple gaps, I was probably at that age of 14 too lol. I had them in 8thgr, I'm in 12th now), then got my retainers... I'm supposed to be wearing them, but they feel gross so I don't.. and I worry my teeth are moving... maybe I should start up again. since I didn't realize teeth would move for so many years...

CONFUSEDGIRL:

That's a good idea to wear them. I know they're icky, but learn from my mistake--teeth do shift for a long time, and that's no fun.

~*~Charlene~*~

OMG, that is soooo me!! I have been having those same thoughts lately. I am looking into invisilign. Gradual clear retainers. Ive heard they work very well.. Ah well, I guess the 4 years of braces have gone to waste.. Wear your headgear and retainers people!!

--Kim

Can you get brace's to fix and overbite?!?!?! MY DOCTORS A LIER! lol
    i got told they couldnt be fixed with braces and that i would have to
    have an operation to fix it, i have an overbite and underbite, so my
    front jaw is to far forward and my bottom jaw is to far back, so they
    both have to be moved. But if its the option between having braces
    or having an op, i would go for the brace's.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Californiagirl: Can I justcall you bucky?? lololol I'm just kidding. What are you going to do? I know. This is very serious. It would suck to have a crooked mouth. That's it right? Or crooked teeth is it?
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Funny thing is, my teeth are perfectly straight, always have been, but I hadthat damnoverbite. My dentist said that if I didn't get braces, I'd have no chin! I was soooo into my looks as a teenager, and my parents had the $$$ for whatever needed to be done, so we did the whole thing: braces, bands, dreaded headgear, and retainer!

ROOFUS~~ Yeh, I think you can get braces for your problem. I'd get a second opinion. The dr. told me that your bottom jaw doesn't move, even with braces, so what my dentists did was put braces on my bottom teeth, just to keep them in straight, then moved my top teeth back with the top braces, and the headgear moved them back as well. I HATED the headgear, so thank goodness I only had to wear it at night while I slept, and not out in public.

MEL~~ Hey, this is funny: "BUCKY" on AI has bad teeth too!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thanks [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] i think im going to the hospital soon about it and about getting braces to fix it, um what headgear do you have to wear?..i've never seen any headgear?
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Californiagirl: Could you imagine if you had to wear that head gear all of the time? Could you imagine seeing clients with the head gear on? I'm sure they would ask you everytime what was wrong with you, know? I don't think dentists have patients wear head gear during the day now, do they? Well, good luck, bucky.lol Just kidding.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Guys, my mom had the same thing happen to her. The dentist was able to give her a retainer thing that she wore at night and it straightened them right out. I don't think you will have to get braces again.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip