Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

WARNING -- TMI will be listed below because I'm ranting and I have to get the honest nightmare of my emet attack off of my chest right now or my head will spin off into oblivion...

TOTAL RANT BELOW:

Okay, so I'm in the middle of an "emet attack" right now. I know it is the weekend, but just posting to the site makes me feel better. I am going to rant and rave and speak my mind. I know EXACTLY what is causing my FLIP OUT SESSION tonight and after briefly talking with one of my friends in culinary school, I know why my stomach hates me to such an extreme degree (he asked me if onions were in what I ate for lunch...).

First off, DON'T OVEREAT! It isn't worth the pain. The food won't spoil if you wait 4-6 hours. If you believe it will spoil in that short a period of time, then it probably wasn't worth eating to begin with. The stomach pain, gas, and nausea doesn't make overeating worth it (unless you believe in some self-torture for emets..)!!!

Second of all, NEVEROVEREAT while constipated!!! Bad combination and it creates even more nausea, discomfort, and annoyance. I have done this today and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Third of all, don't overeat on GAS PRODUCING FOODS! Yugh... I'm burping my head off, hypervenilating, farting, and still waiting for my intestines to empty. I have tried sitting upright in bed, sitting in the living room with family watching tv (closer to the bathroom there), AND sitting outside. Meanwhile shaking, my face doesn't want to move correctly (feels all prickly and stiff), jumping around, and trying to run away from myself -- all at the same time. Did I mentionI have called almost every friend I have just to get them to talk to me about ANYTHING because as long as I'm talking, I feel grounded to something.

I ran out of people to talk to and my family told me to stop talking about my stomach because it was stressing THEM out, so I turned to my trusty computer and I'm charging my cell phone in case anyone calls me back (no, not all of the messages I left were totally spastic in nature... hard to be believe, yes...).

I am writing down my thoughts because my thoughts are running me out of my mind. I need and I deserve to be grounded. I know what I ate wasn't tainted, as no one else feels sick. I eat the same things over and over again and my lunch was shared with my family, who are all staring at me like I'm some freak show!

I last ate 6.5 hours ago and I binged all morning, eating about 3 full meals in 9 hours because I woke up early just to eat. All I have had today has been GAS PRODUCING FOODS! Peanutbutter, bread (wheat), onions, chocolate, tons of veggies in the soup, and beans. I have also had soda.

Yes - I am to blame and take full responsiblity for my gassiness tonight, but that doesn't leave me any less miserable. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson. Just because something tastes good, doesn't mean I should eat it or that my body will like me for it. Yes, I needed the nutrients desperately - but I know that I tend to panic if I start burping excessively like I have tonight.

What is the moral of this story, well... don't overeat on gassy foods while constipated. It just makes for a stinky, uncomfortable, and gas out the mouth night!

If you read this far, I applaud you. Writing it out helped a lot. I still feel nasty, but I know the reason to why I am feeling nasty. I'm not sick and I know that for sure - but panic and logic started to fail me, so I pulled out my bag of tricks and thankfully this site was in it because it I needed a safe place to rant.

*hugs* --- Me going to sit in bed or sit online or sit just anywhere but outside because it is a little nippy.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey purp,

howyadoin? I'm kind of ranting myself tonight, cuz I just watched like 2 hours of NASTY VIDEOS for the sake of my desensitization website. God almighty!

I think by the sounds of it your anxiety may be getting the better of you. The food you listed doesn't sound all that bad...veggies, peanut butter and such. And it's been such a long time since you've eaten. Sounds more like the anxiety is shutting down your normal digestion process. If only you could find a way to relax, and let it digest. Laying on your right side is supposed to help empty your large intestine. Deep breathing, and slow, steady muscle relaxation. I wonder if you can do that.

Where are you in the US? I'm on the west coast of Canada so it's only 8:11 pm here.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Purple- I'll be up for a while if you need someone to talk to. I don't have
    IM because I'm on a Mac- ugh~! But you can email me and I'll get right
    back. [email protected]

It is a little after 10pm here. I didn't know that onions and chocolate could cause so much gas! I ate tons of BOTH of them today, along with soda. I know the food wasn't rotten or spoiled, so that does put me at ease. I just didn't know exactly how my body was going to react to veggies after not getting them in a long while... I guess I found out!

Sitting outside helped some because it was so cool and dry.I tried the breathing and eventually was able to make it back to my bedroom where my computer is located --- which is a big step from where I was 2-3 hours ago. Talking to friends on the phone really helps me because talking helps to regulate my breathing without me consciously thinking/ focusing on it.

I know I have trouble with delayed gastric emptying because of my eating disorder. I figure that caused the pain for the first few hours after I ate when I wasn't able to burp. The burping started around 3 hours after I ate and after I felt the food start to settle and work its way down.

The burping sets off my panic because I hate burping. The panic then stops my digestion (fight or flight response), which causes more nausea and burping. The only way to stop the burping is to reduce the causes of the inital burping (foods, swallowing air, etc...) and combine that with relaxing so my stomach can continue to digest. I have to mentally get to a place where I can control my bodily functions so the pain and nausea will go away. I know I have to let my body take care of itself and my mind needs to stop interferring with the natural process --- it is when I try and control something I shouldn't be controlling that everything STOPS, making the situation even worse.

The burping is starting to calm down now and so is my anxiety. I am getting better recognizing and describing what my body is going through when I get these attacks. Trying to rationalize with myself is difficult when my thoughts are racing. Attacks like I have had tonight make me realize the biggest part of my phobia is within myself and about myself V*, not necessarily about others.

Needless to say, no more of grandma's veggie stew. This is the second time it has made my stomach burpy. It tastes wonderful, but I can't mentally handle it right now.
    FACEBOOK ME --

hey glad you're feeling a bit better. Honestly, I'll call and talk to you if you want (pm me back)

Maybe don't write off grandma's veggie stew entirely. Next time you have it, take some "beano"! Beano is not just for beans...it helps stop gas building up with any gassy food. It's awesome.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yeah, I'll 2nd that. I was feeling pretty good today and DH and I went out for supper with the kids. I ate too much so was already feeling bloated, then my anxiety got triggered and I've been feeling awful for hours. I know (mostly) it's the combination of overeating/panic that is making me feel so crappy, but it still isn't good.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Last night was rough. I woke up a couple of times with a bit of panic and reflux, but I made it through. I'm still tasting the onions and I have for sure learned my lesson.

I think I'm going to keep a Food Log that will keep track of the following:
    1. Types of food/ liquidconsumed (in approximate amounts - for example a glass of water, a slice of bread... nothing "technical")
    2. Time of consumption
    3. Any type of feelings after consumption (cramps, gas, bloating, etc...)
    I think this might help me figure out what is triggering some of my stomach problems. I am not going to be keeping track of all of the calories per say, but just logging what I eat when might also help me keep track of when I actually do overeat and how my body responds to what I eat and when.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Hi purple teacher, I hopw you are feeling much better now!!

Keeping a food diary is a fab idea, I used to do it to help my IBS, and worked out which foods cause me the most problems, for me its mushrooms, onions, sprouts (yes Im a freak, I love them!!!) too much wheat (I adore pasta withmushrooms and onions!!! not good!!!)too much wine which is also bad as I love that too!!Too many vegetables together for me isnt a good idea, as well as big salads and loads of fruit. I try to eat relativelt healthily but when its the healthy stuff that makes me feel bad its difficult!!!

I alsowent to see a food allergy speciailist and all the foods Id worked out caused me problems, he then confirmed. He was quite surprised when I agreed with all the ones he mentioned.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am STILL burping the onions, nearly 24 hours later! Ugh... Besides that, I'm doing fine. My stomach is hungry, but the onion taste is making me nauseated. The food diary is what I know I need. I also FORGET what I eat and in what combinations and or quantities, so writing everything down will let me better track my weight gain and loss too. I love veggies, as I am a vegetarian, but I guess I just need to more careful with certain combinations.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Aww, I'm really sorry to hear you had such a rough night ..

Why do you not like burping? I love burping!

Burping for me is really uncomfortable. I don't really know to burp, so air just "slides up". When air slides up, I get scared that food might too - especially when I feel a burp get stuck or when I can't get enough air out to feel any relief.

Excessive burping makes me think I am going to V*, even though I have no memory of burping ever causing V* in me. I guess I'm just scared that more than air will come up.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Hello, I am a newbie to this site and think it is fabulous! I just wanted to say that keeping a food diary may be helpful to you if you use it in the correct way. Just try and make sure that it doesn't become the main focus in your day. For example, make sure that you do not rely on it to the extent that forgetting to add an entry would cause you more anxiety. I go through similar processes with my condition and regularly play the 'checklist' game as I like to call it..i.e working out the foods I have eaten during the day which were 'safe' and those which are more likely to enduce v* (eg meats, cream milk etc..) Silly, I know, but all part of the process as I am sure many of us know! Hope you are feeling better [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by missscotland

Hello, I am a newbie to this site and think it is fabulous! I just wanted to say that keeping a food diary may be helpful to you if you use it in the correct way. Just try and make sure that it doesn't become the main focus in your day. For example, make sure that you do not rely on it to the extent that forgetting to add an entry would cause you more anxiety. I go through similar processes with my condition and regularly play the 'checklist' game as I like to call it..i.e working out the foods I have eaten during the day which were 'safe' and those which are more likely to enduce v* (eg meats, cream milk etc..) Silly, I know, but all part of the process as I am sure many of us know! Hope you are feeling better [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have an eating disorder, so I have to EXTRA careful not to track cals and other stuff like that too! My problem with food is that I either don't eat anything or I start eating and literally cannot stop until it is too late. I don't know how to "moderate" what I eat, so my weight fluctuates - but has slowly been going down over the last few months.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Hey Purple, I totally know what you mean about burping. I panic too when I burp alot because I don't know if it's v* or air. Onions are so good, but so evil at the same time. I feels like they just sit in your stomach for days sometimes. Hope you feel better soon!

Part of my fearof "bringing something up" is that I do have reflux. Sometimes stuff DOES come up when I burp or swallow. I have had severe reflux and burping all day and I haven't eaten in 24 hours. I am hoping to sip on some tea later tonight and keep that down. I really just don't feel much like myself and I know that the amount of stress I'm under right now isn't helping (being CALLED INTO work, Holy Week, family stuff, 2nd round of a job interview, etc...).

Burping scares me out of my mind! I think I have somehow put my body into ketosis too.. argh.. and I have been honestly trying to avoid that too!
    FACEBOOK ME --