Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

my therapist and i were thinking about why we are actually s*? i know this is a really bazzar question, but it is a valid one, the only answers i could think of was
    1. <LI>to pump out drugs from your system (when someone has taken an overdose)</LI>
      <LI>to getalchol out of your system when you have had too much</LI>

anyway it is my homework to find out more, so i would appreciate any thoughts on the matter, thanks

honeybee

With many types of food poisoning that have rapid onset, it is more advantagious to get the offending item out of your stomach ASAP so that it can't do as much damage to the rest of your digestive system.

Also- the most important one for me- when you are sick if you vomit you usually feel better afterwards. It reduces nausea, at least temporarily.

Our bodies were built this way for a reason- vomitting essentially lets us know when something is wrong- that we are sick, have eaten something that we shouldn't have, etc. Vomitting is part of your body's attempt to maintain its equilibrium, and to get anything that may be a source of danger out as quickly as possible.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I completely agree with crimgoddess.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most true, it's just a shame that it's such a horrible process!

But why are we sick from travel sickness? That doesn't make as much sense (I know it's all to do with inner ear inbalance linking to the v* bit in the brain, but it's still bizarre I find).

I always wanted to be a horse when I was younger, as they can't get sick (however that makes illnesses like colic etc far more dangerous for them).

i hadnt thought of motion sickness!!! good point

Motion sickness sucks SO BAD! I mean up until I was like 5 or 6 I was able to go on my dad's friend's boat fishing and what not. Then one day we were out fishing (Which I love to do! LoL I don't know why but I think it's fun okay?) So anyway I started to get N*. I was stuck on the boat for another two hours, completely miserable cause I wouldn't V* and get it over with.

Of course my parents being the jerks they are always made me get on boats, up untilI was like 12 or so and started to adamently refuse to get on a boat cause it would make me sick.

But yeah, what is the point of motion sickness? It's stupid if you ask me! I wish it didn't happen!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Motionsickness is a result of balance and equilibrium- the same areas of the body/brain that produce motionsickness are also responsible for our 'spatial orientation'- it tells us if we are moving, standing still, what direction, etc. This serves a purpose. However, these senses can be tricked.

Here is a bit ofa technical explanationfor why motionsickness occurs:

The symptoms of motion sickness and dizziness appear when the central nervous system receives conflicting messages from the other four systems.

For example, suppose you are riding through a storm, and your airplane is being tossed about by air turbulence. But your eyes do not detect all this motion because all you see is the inside of the airplane. Then your brain receives messages that do not match with each other. You might become "air sick."

Or suppose you are sitting in the back seat of a moving car reading a book. Your inner ears and skin receptors will detect the motion of your travel, but your eyes see only the pages of your book. You could become "car sick."

Or, to use a true medical condition as an example, suppose you suffer inner ear damage on only one side from a head injury or an infection. The damaged inner ear does not send the same signals as the healthy ear. This gives conflicting signals to the brain about the sensation of rotation, and you could suffer a sense of spinning, vertigo, and nausea.

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/dizziness.cfm

When you think about it....how long has this been an issue? It has only been fairly recent in the history of humanity that we are so mobile, and use various means of transportation. Who is to say that our bodies won't eventually evolve and adapt to this new situation?

*amber*

and its not just humans that sufer from motion sickness! dogs for example can get travel sick, so maybe it is more natural than i first thought to suffer from motion sickness.

What_is_a_vomit.doc

is about why we are s*. it is quite graphic so be warned, no pictures though i promise.