Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Lexapro

I would like to ask if anyone here takes Lexapro. My doctor wants me to start it, gave me a month's samples but I am real scared of the side effects. Kim

Kim,
    I did take Lexapro for about a week and the only side effect I had was insomnia. It actually made me manic. But remember that everyone is different and has different experiences with medication. I have heard about many people on Lexapro who absolutely swear it has changed their lives. Good luck with that!

(for fairness I should add that I am very sensitive to medications and never have good experiences! so, don't base your possible experience on my bad one. know what i mean?)

\"This too shall pass\"

I take Lexapro, have for about 6 months now. I had occasional night sweats for a while, but overall my anxiety is pretty much nil. Lexapro has worked great for me.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I was on Lexapro for about a year and a half. It worked wonders for me emotionally. My anxiety all but went away. I did have a few side effects. I would have night sweats, but it didn't bother me too bad, I was always cold before. I also gained 25 lbs. I seem to be very sensitive to medicines that have weight gain as a side effect. When I was on Depo-Provera years ago I gained 30 lbs. If you start taking the medication, you need to take it for at least 6-8 weeks before you can decide if it is working or not. Also if you are afraid of the nausea side effect - like I was - tell your doctor. My doctor gave me a script for Phenergan and told me to take the phenergan 30 minutes before the Lexapro (both at night-phenergan makes most people very sleepy) Good Luck!

Hi Kim,</font>Right now I am trying to switch from Celexa to Lexapro. So far I have had no side effects. Give it a try and start out gradually, which I am sure your doc has told you. Good luck....</font>

Andee... I made the switch from Celexa to Lexapro a while back. The way it was explained to me is that Lexapro is just a more concentrated form of Celexa, same drug, so there should be no side effects.

One thing that you should know about Lexapro, as with all medications, is that there is a chance of withdrawal. I went through terrible withdrawal from Paxil many years ago. It lasted about 4-5 days. Last summer my doc and I decided I didn't need Lexapro anymore, so we reduced the meds down over a period of 8 weeks. After the first week I started having withdrawal symptoms. I finished the reduction period and was off the medication for over 10 weeks before I finally had to go back on, I just couldn't stand the feeling anymore. I'm onhalf thedose now thatI was on back then, but it has taken me quite a while to get back level. I'M NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN TOYOU because it doesn't happen often. But just know that it is a possibility, kinda like side effects, they just have to mention that. Thousands of people take the meds and successfully get off them, and apparently I am prone to it because I went through the same thing with Paxil. For both meds my doc said they were not habit forming and would have no withdrawal... he still thinks I'm nuts for having withdrawal... then again... I wouldn't be on this wonderful board if I wasn't nuts! HA! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Being on the med is fine, of course, I have been on random meds now for so long I don't know what it feels like to not be on them. I had no side effects when I first started taking it. Hope that gives you a little info.. feel free to email me if you want to chat more about it.

Later
    TiffEdited by: tiffanator

Thanks Tiff,
    I had that same problem with Zoloft. The doc gave me the same spiel, but I know I had withdrawal symptoms and had to go on again. I don't think I will be totally getting off these meds for a long time, if at all.

There is a difference though between withdrawal symptoms and needing to go back on a medication because you are anxious or depressed without it. A person goes on the meds to stop the anxiety. If the person goes off and gets anxious again, that is not withdrawal, that is just that they are in need of the medication to stabilize the anxiety.

Hey i ve been on Celexa for 3 years no problems at all just being able to get through the day with so much anxiety... that's a good thing
    You MUST do the thing you fear the most- E. Roosevelt

japa... that is what my mom kept telling me. She said that maybe I'm just a person who needs the medication. NO! What I had was like nothing I've ever had before, it was a physical withdrawal from the medication. I did get anxious and depressed again, it was because I felt so bad for so long and I though I would never get over the withdrawal... and I didn't. I ended up going back on the medication just to make the withdrawal symptoms stop. I have read of other people having the same problem with withdrawal.