Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've been searching for a job and I got an interview at this store that
    sells maternity clothes. My question is if they offer me a job do you
    think it would be safe to take it?

I don't want to have to clean up v* and I know pregnant women get
    morning sickness. I asked my mom about this and she said she thinks I'd
    be fine because morning sickness doesn't come on spontaneously. She
    said it's triggered by something like a food smell. Does any one have
    any experience with this? Would it be an okay job or would it be a
    nightmare for an emet?

I say if you want the job and think you will enjoy it, take it regardless. Yep, some pregnant women get morning sickness, and for some people in can come on suddenly- but that doesn't mean they will be puking all over the store!

I've worked in malls before, including a stint in walmart (*shudder*- capitalism at it's finest)- in the 4 years I've had jobs in that area, it was very rare that I actually saw someone get sick in public at the mall/store. I think it was maybe twice, and in both cases children. The only time I have seen a pregnant woman get sick suddenly was at the grocery store....which I think is understandable, considering the smell and sight of food.

Besides, not all women get morning sickness.....and not everyone who sets foot in a maternity store is actually pregnant. There are people hoping to get pregnant, people who have friends or family that are pregnant, etc.

Sounds like an interesting job- It would be a shame if you let the emet get in the way!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You'll be fine! I don't think pregnant women don't puke in public any more than anyone else! lol

If anything ever happens, just tell your boss it's not in your job description to be a janitor anyway! Enjoy the new job.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yes, take the job! I've shopped in maternity stores many times, either for me or other people, and I never once saw anyone looking ill or v*ing. And if a pregnant woman was prone to v*ing, she'd have a bag orsomething for emergencies.

Good luck - I hope you get it.

I may be wrong, I've never been pregnant. But dont they only get ms for the first 3 months? And Im sure most women want to stay in their normal clothes as long as possible, so they probably wont even be in your store during the first 3 months? Something to think about!

--Kim

I think a job there would fun! Seriously... I mean you get to help women feel good about the blessing to the world Maternity fashion is awesome and at least they don't make pregnant women wear bags all the time because there isn't anything in style.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Oh believe me, they don't have that problem at this place! When I was
    in there dropping off my application I kept thinking to myself "damn! I
    wonder if they make that in normal sizes?" They had so many pretty
    things.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Now lets hope the interview goes well. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i use to work at babies r us and ive heard of like three stories were the women vomted right at baby regerstry thats were i worked baby regerstry i guess u could never know

Oh don't let something like morning sickness get in the way of a new job! Working with babies and expectant mothers would be so great, don't you think? And i'm sure the percentage of pregnant women that acutally get sick while shopping is VERY low. Would you go out if you felt ill? And yes, morning sickness is usually triggered by certain foods/smells.

Good luck and have fun at your new job!

Oh- and this is a cool fact I learned when I was reading my moms maternity books (I love kids, can you tell? haha) If you're expecting and you eat small meals of protein throughout the day .. it reduces your nausea/morning sickness? Cool eh! I've made hard boiled eggs a part of my daily diet now lol.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.