Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've had a fear of *V* for over 10 years and I'm sick of it.
    To the point I have all sorts of anxiety and panic over it. I let it run the
    last 10 years of my life but I'm ready to fight back. I tried, just moments
    ago, to make myself *V* but was unsuccessful. I pressed my middle finger
    against the right side of my throat, on my tonsil. I heaved but no *V*. I did
    this about 5 or 6 times but came up empty. Does anyone have any suggestions? I
    don't think I want to try ipecac. I've heard too many horror stories. Plus I'm
    not sure if I really want to poison myself.

Thanks,

Steve

Trying to steal my life back from this son-of-a-bitch called emetophobia.

Well if you really want to try, theres this thing about not being able to drink a gallon of milk under an hour without v*ing, lots of milk quickly should do it. But are you sure you want to do this?

Wow, Steve. You sound pretty pissed off at emetophobia right now. Way to go! One question though. Why do you feel the need to vomit so badly? Why not just wait until your body naturally needs to do it and then remind yourself all of the things you are feeling now?

Otherwise, I have no suggestions as to how to make yourself sick. Ever watch the movie Heathers? Remember when Winonna suggests milk and orange juice? Doubt that works. We did learn from that not to down liquid plumber, either! lol!I agree with ya that I would keep my hands off the ipecac. yuk. Maybe try some Taco Bell??? We at least know that if you don't vomit, you will get cleaned out the other end from a good ol fashion soft taco!

Good luck with taking your life back from emetophobia. Seriously, it sounds like you are on the right track.
    \"This too shall pass\"

well, good luck...i think...sorry that i have no suggestions to help you out. are you sure its a good idea, anyway? making yourself v*may not be the best way to conquer this phobia. although, i do admire you for having the courage to take this big step. good luck! let us know how it goes

-hayley xoox

p.s. sorry to sound so negative
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

Here are some V* tips!!
    1) Stick your fingers down your throat and leave them there until they are covered with V*.
    2) Massage your throat with your fingers until you feel IT on your fingers.
    3) Drink tons of warm water, jump around, and then drink more and more and more - your body will eventually V* up the water.
    4) Eat until you can't swallow anymore and then continueto eating once you reach that point. Eventually, your body will start to V*.

Just be warned that your fear might not be in the physical act of V* itself, it could be much deeper. V* when you are in control of it is one thing, but V* due to illness or something else you might still be afraid of.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The easiest way for a smoker to puke is to hold the smoke infor about 10-20 seconds. A lot of smokers discover this by accident! However, smoking could become addictive so a non-smoker should not try this.

I agree with Hannah that the simplest and least objectionable way to do it is to drink milk. A half gallon in less than half an hour ought to do the trick. There also should be no surprise as to what the vomit looks and tastes like.

I don't think it is a good idea to induce vomiting by using your fingers.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Steve,

I started a thread awhile ago called something like "inducing v* gently for exposure" where I talked about some ideas my therapist had, and people gave lots of good responses too. Maybe look that one up? And good luck! You can beat this!

Exposure therapy would help to cure you. Making yourself vomit probably won't cure you.

But like shiva said, stay pissed off, and you'll be able to take some action against this, I bet.

Hey Steve-

Ditto to what Japa said. Logically, vomitting *should* be the answer- so you realize that it really isn't that bad, and there is nothing to fear. But this phobia is irrational- and you have trained your brain to think a certain way in order to fear vomitting. It was a multi-stage process- so this one act will likely not cure you. You need to essentially re-train your brain- this can be done through cognitive behavioural therapy and exposure therapy (check out the stickies in the treatment forum).

Just to further corroborate this- there are people on this board who have vomitted, and afterwards though "oh my god, THAT was what I was scared of? How ridiculous".....however, that feeling didn't necessarily last. The anxiety came back the next time they felt nauseous. Also, I only fear others vomitting- and since developing this fear have been in many occasions where I have witnessed people being ill- and even has kids vomit on me while babysitting. I still have this phobia.

Don't want to tell you what to do though- if you want to try this, give it a shot.

And I also like your attitude- give this damned phobia a good kick in the arse for me too!

*amber*

Wow, congrats on being brave enough to acutally consider vomiting! And kudos on your attempt too!

Though vomiting may not be a cure to your emet, as amber mentioned above. You've trained your mind to associate vomit with negativity and so it may aid in the short term, I don't think it's a very wise choice for the long term.

But really, to each his own and if it does cure you, I offer you my warmest congratulations and keep us updated on how it goes! What was the eventual verdict of what made you vomit? Lol.

I tried it, the old milk gallon trick, it didn't exactly cure my emetophobia, but if you haven't v* for a long time, it's odd to feel that feeling again, if anything, food poisoning scares me more than a goliath tarantula but v* from sculling milk didnt, it was funny for me.

Still, after not feeling v* for about 3 or 4 years then doing it sort of brung up some bad experiencesI had when younger (my food poisoning) which scared me but I sort of unconciously realized it wasn't really the v* that scared me, it was food poisoning + the fact that there is "no help available" at the time, I'd fear drinking ipecac because you know you can't stop it.

As for the milk gallon, be prepared for about 45 seconds or so afterwards to hurl up a LOT!! The whole gallon generally leaves someone in 1-2 heaves then your stomach is empty. No REAL nausea or cramps but if you have a strong stomach muscle it might hurt a little.

I agree, it may help for a short term, but im not sure about long term. A few months ago when i started to eat again my stomach was in so much pain from eating and all the acid in the stomach, i got so fed up with feeling sick i tried to make myself sick, which failed and i didnt bring nothing up, but im not sure if that was because i had used antiemetics that day. Then the other time, my stomach got so much acid in it i felt really sick, and kept pushing my throat and stomach (pushing the stomach wasnt a very good idea as i kept pushing it so hard it felt bruised and made it feel worse) but eventlly i v* and it helped short term with the fear, but i found that mine is still there, but in a different way, its weird. The next time was about a week ago, i felt so full and i couldnt stand it, so i stuck my fingers down my throat, which i didn't bring much up the first few times, then v* out some of my lunch. It helped me short term, but i don't know about long term....
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

LOL!! Purpleteacher, your tips make me want to v* just by reading them!!!

Steve, I hope you find a way that will help you get over this phobia, and if it's by making yourself v*, then you are a very, very brave man!! Good luck, and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean

LOL!! Purpleteacher, your tips make me want to v* just by reading them!!!

Steve, I hope you find a way that will help you get over this phobia, and if it's by making yourself v*, then you are a very, very brave man!! Good luck, and keep us posted.

I know lots of friends with bulimia... hehe... :::blushes:::
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick thanks for all the advice. I will keep you posted. I have class
    tonight so I won’t be attempting the deed today. However, I do plan on succeeding
    this weekend.

(another snapshot into my life)

I also have a fear of having heat stroke or exhaustion. I know my body can
    physically handle either one but I can't handle the vomiting that comes with
    it. When I say my body can physically handle it I guess I'm trying to say that
    I have access to resources (phone, water, etc.). It's not as if I am stuck in
    the middle of the <st1lace>Sahara</st1lace>.

I live in <st1lace><st1:City>Phoenix</st1:City>, <st1:State>Arizona</st1:State></st1lace>
    which is the runner up to the <st1lace>Sahara</st1lace>. Yesterday it was
    93 degrees and today it's going to get to 97. Anything over 80 I start having a conniption
    fit.

I have all night classes this semester, so come <st1:time minute="30" hour="17">5:30</st1:time> (sun still high in the sky)
    I'm heading off to school. But yesterday being so hot I went out to my car,
    drove around the block and decided I couldn't go to school. It was still too hot out. My anxiety and
    fears were too high. I associate warm weather with my first panic attack and
    warm weather makes me nauseas.

Since I didn't go to school because of my fears I decided to try and be
    productive with my night off. By productive I mean; trying to make myself
    vomit. Although I was unsuccessful I think I made a step in the right
    direction.

Now I know that making myself vomit isn't going to be a cure all. I'm hoping
    that if I can do it once, I can do it twice and so on. Even if I am successful
    I still wont eat birds. Salmonella isn't a friend of mine. Now I'm just
    rambling. But you can see now why I am pissed off at this fear. I want my life
    back.

Steve

Steve,

Chances are if you do vomit, it won't cure you. I felt like you at one point. I went almost 20 years without doing it. Now over the past six years I have had 2 stomach viruses and thrown up with both of them. I'm even more scared now. I'm have surgery in three weeks and absolutely terrified of waking up and being sick.

Steve,

Maybe my last entry was too negative. I didn't mean to scare you. I just think there is a major control issue with all of us. I think we are more scared of the fact that it can just happen to us without us being ready for it. If you induce it yourself, it probably won't be so bad because you are ready to do it and expect it

Steve,

Whatever you do, don't try ipecac. It's a poison, and will make you very very sick. The milk will work, but don't try water. Water may not make you vomit, and too much water can actually kill a person (that's how a lot of folks on ecstasy die - from the water) Apparently the lactic acid in the milk induces vomiting, but you have to drink like a whole gallon of it.

It may not cure your emetophobia, but then again, if you kept doing it it might help you to reason with yourself that you're not in any danger any more.

All the best.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

ho wmuch is too much water for it to be harmful, i have heard this before...

I think it's a LOT, LOT, LOT. It does happen to people on ecstasy and sometimes long distance runners who have overhydrated for their race. It's not anything that people have to worry about on a daily basis because we won't normally drink such a huge amount of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee
    ho wmuch is too much water for it to be harmful, i have heard this before...

And of course a glass of very salty water should do it.

Yes - a hellavalota water. I would never recommend drinking it until you're sick...cuz if the emet stops you from vomiting up the water (which it well could if the emet's bad enough) then the water could kill you.

No one else here needs to worrry about too much water...cuz you'd never drink water until you felt sick! (8-10 glasses a day is recommended, and that's plenty)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi

I dont think making yourself V* will help at all. Like most people say if you want to v* it wont happen, because your waiting for it, and then when u dont want to v* it does happen.

If you want to try Making youself v* and see if it works then try it. But dont make yourself v* all the time as you will only make yourself ill.

I really dont think it is a good idea, and i dont think it would cure you.

I would hate the thought of thinking of making myself v*.
    A.fretwell

Personally, in my opinion, inducing v*ing in any form isn't a "cure". You still have control of the situation. The time, the place, everything.

I hate to sound negative, but I think this fear is much deeper than that. I have had 2 sv's and alot of morning sickness in the last 6 years, and it did not cure me. I thought for a while, maybe, because I was so used to it when I was pregnant. But, unfortunetly, the fear is still there.

I think that exposure therapy and/or cognitive therapy is the only was to beat this.

Just my two cents, but maybe it will work for you. I hope it does, but it didn't for me.

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!