Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I posted last week about my friend's little girl who got sick v'ing last Wed. She is just now over her d*. Well, her grandmother watches her while her mom is at work, and yesterday morning the grandmother started having v'ing and d* all day long. She got sick 8 days after her granddaughter. Hello, what about our 3 day rule?????

the poop is still infectious for up to two weeks.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

That's what I was going to say... She was still shedding the virus, which Grandma must have come into contact with and not washed properly.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I've also read somewhere yesterday that the viruses can live on surfaces for days to weeks. So, make sure to keep cleaning counter tops and door knobs and what not for awhile. You already know, but keep your hands away from your face. Hope things get better. You deserve a break. You've had a rough winter. I hope it stops for you two.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by princessmel
    I've also read somewhere yesterday that the viruses can live on surfaces for days to weeks. So, make sure to keep cleaning counter tops and door knobs and what not for awhile. You already know, but keep your hands away from your face. Hope things get better. You deserve a break. You've had a rough winter. I hope it stops for you two. </font>
    OMG, really? I thought viruses needed a host to live off of? They can live on surfaces for weeks?!?!?!

Info taken from the cdc.gov page:
    "People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness."

However it does say "Viruses...are not affected by treatment with antibiotics, and cannot grow outside of a person’s body."

I side with swiftette and shiva on this...but I would want to make sure all household surfaces possibly infected would be clean as well. Grams probably did come in contact with the virus after the fact, but since she wasn't expecting it by that point, didn't wash up well enough.

The cdc link to this info, and other helpful info, is here --&gt; http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm
    Take small account of might, wealth and fame, for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds.

Just some other possibilities: It could have been a different virus the grandma got, or something she ate.

she could of got it from somewhere else

I always understood this "rule" to mean 3 days after all symptoms stop - includingd*. As has been pointed out above, she was still shedding the virus via the d* so contact with that and a failure to wash thoroughly can lead to illness.

I read somewhere the noroviruses can only live two days on an infected surface because they need a host to reproduce and survive.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I posted last week about my friend's little girl who got sick v'ing last Wed. She is just now over her d*. Well, her grandmother watches her while her mom is at work, and yesterday morning the grandmother started having v'ing and d* all day long. She got sick 8 days after her granddaughter. Hello, what about our 3 day rule?????

First of all, the grandmother could have contracted it elsewhere. But what I think is happening, people with norwalk virus can shed the virus via stool for up to 2 weeks! So this is probably how she got it. Has anyone seen the new Clorox spray you can spray on anything? Kim

Hey Kim:

I just bought that yesterday, but didn't use it yet. I hope it works. I'm sure it does.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

a good rule of thumb is 2 weeks (because of d) - here is a good example of that off of pro med (detailing an ill food worker at a large national restaraunt sub-sandwich chain who infected hundreds over the course of 8 days). this article will make ya mad by the time your done with it:

HINT: my rule of thumb, never eat the lettuce unless you bought it and prepared it yourself:

edit: nevermind i guess i can t cut and paste??

From all I have ever heard about viruses (and now I am going to check with my sister who is a microbiologist), they cannot stay alive on surfaces outside the body for more than a few hours.

Also, I bought that Clorox stuff too, and I think it's pretty funny because it's basically water with less than a tenth of one percent chlorine. When I spray it around, it makes my apartment smell like a pool, and it reminds me of when I was a little kid and used to go to the public pool with my sister to hang out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by anti

That's a great site! I've been reading it all morning!

Scary stuff though. They talk about washing lettuce for sandwiches in the food prep sink, and people also washing their hands in that sink! It makes me want to go and inspect the kitchen of every restaurant I eat at!!!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Take small account of might, wealth and fame, for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds.

i've done my research on noro and it can survive on surfaces up to a month or longer! i know of a story(study) of two carpet layers who became ill with the virus after replacing a section of carpet in a hospital ward over a month after the v took place.