Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I think I am slowly moving from being a general emet to being hardcore weird.

Lately I have noticed that being in a bathroom, for any reason, triggers a small to large panic attack. And it isn't any bathroom, but small, private bathrooms (like one in your home). I am ok if someone is home or if I am in a public restroom and other people are in there too, but alone...I start freaking bigtime.

And I always like to know where the bathroom is because I have IBS.

Does anyone else have bathroom triggered panic attacks or am I just nuts????

You are not nuts. I think a lot of us might havea fear of bathrooms because that is usually where our worst fear will take place. We all have little variations of what we are afraid of with this phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by halfoverthefur
    You are not nuts. I think a lot of us might havea fear of bathrooms because that is usually where our worst fear will take place. We all have little variations of what we are afraid of with this phobia.
    I just feel crazy because bathrooms didn;'t start bothering me until recently. Like I said, as someone with IBS, I like to know where the bathroom is as I may need it. And I never felt...almost claustophobic in one as I do now.

You aren't nuts...I mean I have strange little things about me I do cause of my emet...everyone's different. Although I do not have a fear of bathrooms, unless of course I'm nauseous, then I won't go NEAR one.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Marie,

You're not nuts. It makes sense completely...it is simply an indicator that your phobia is getting slightly worse. Sometimes this can be temporary. It is often brought on by changes in your nuclear family or your family of origin. The change can be negative or positive (i.e., a death or a birth or a marriage or a promotion.) See if you can think of anything that's happened just before your fear seemed to get worse. Sometimes talking with family members more about the event and/or the family stress can relieve this sort of "worsening" altogether.

At any rate, make sure you don't start avoiding going to small bathrooms alone. This will make the problem even more worse!

If you just keep going there by yourself, and if you address any family stress head-on, then this additional symptom will probably pass quite quickly.

Keep in touch, and all the best.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Marie,

You're not nuts. It makes sense completely...it is simply an indicator that your phobia is getting slightly worse. Sometimes this can be temporary. It is often brought on by changes in your nuclear family or your family of origin. The change can be negative or positive (i.e., a death or a birth or a marriage or a promotion.) See if you can think of anything that's happened just before your fear seemed to get worse. Sometimes talking with family members more about the event and/or the family stress can relieve this sort of "worsening" altogether.

At any rate, make sure you don't start avoiding going to small bathrooms alone. This will make the problem even more worse!

If you just keep going there by yourself, and if you address any family stress head-on, then this additional symptom will probably pass quite quickly.

Keep in touch, and all the best.
    *sigh* My family lives on the east coast and I am on the west coast and my parents and sister are fighting horribly.

And I am stressed about school and work.

Avoiding the bathroom is not an option. I just have to work on the panic-attack-while-on-potty issue.

Himarieb,

I too suffer from IBS and have an obsession about the nearest toilets, in the pastI had several instances when I have almost had to run to reach the nearest toilet, but now I can tend to associate certain feelings with a need for the loo (sorry ifTMI) in advance. Whereever I go I always make sure I know where the nearest loo is, and this especially applies when Im walking somewhere( which is quite often as I dont drive).

Laney xx

I always have to know where the closest bathroom is at all times when I'm out. If I don't, I get panicy and I always have to spot trash cans.

My bathroom at home I just plain hate. It is in the middle of the house, with no windows to the outside, and is SMALL. I hate places that are small and have the potential to get stinky - I just get creaped out. I dislike feeling trapped.

Public bathrooms are okay. I just go in and go out. I don't linger.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

marie,

I don't know anything about the details re: your family, but I'm pretty sure it is contributing to your anxiety. If there is any way to remain as calm as possible AND remain neutral AND in calm contact with your family, it should help. Whatever the fight's about - just listen to both sides and stay neutral. Say stuff like "hmmm...how are you going to manage yourself when you hear [her] say things like that?" Say this as though you're interested, not sarcastic or angry.

Avoiding both sides will actually up your anxiety in general. As will taking sides, or getting involved when it's not about you.

I also understand that you can't avoid bathrooms. Try to talk to yourself with EXTREME logic while in the bathroom. It shouldn't have the power to make you more anxious, and definitely not sick or sicker. It's just a bathroom. And you're ok!

Let us know how you're doing with this. Good luck!

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

im the same i hate going into the bathroom and i also have a habit of putting the toilet seat down if im in the bath or anything i wont have the toilet seat up i dont know why its just me.... [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

We always keep the toilet lid down, and we make sure to NEVER EVER flush until the lid is closed! You would be surprised where those germs end up...or your urine or feces!

In the UK we used to have a program on TV called Tomorrows World, it was all about inventions etc. Anyway one night there was something on about toilet seats that automatically put the lid down when the toilet was flushed.... BUT, they said it was not good to do that because it trapped the germs in the bowl, where they bred and the next person who lifted the seat got a right face full of germs!!!!! Ever since that I have always insisted that people leave the toilet lid UP.... I would rather have a few germs from a flush than a big whoosh when the lid is lifted.... I saw this about 15 years ago and it has always stuck with me!!!!!

Thats a very interesting point. I am going to have to do some research about that. Never thought of it like that. I just hear about how stuff flys onto your toothbrushes. And that grosses me out

I'd be interested to hear if you find out anything in your research....... As I said it was one of those things that stuck with me for years, coz of emet I guess, we remember weird stuff don't we, lol!!!! Maybe bleachs and disinfectants and stuff are stronger now and kill more germs... I don't know really, it's just one of those things I do!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Here's what I do: I keep a spray bottle with bleach water in it, and after flushing, I give the bowl a few spritzes.

Sweet...here is a website that I found that has good info about keeping the lid down

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology...web2/stan.html

This site has some good tips for the bathroom!!

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article...5.htm?z=3609_0 0000_2438_f1_04

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1143577.htm

Hope this kinda gives you an idea which is safer...UP or DOWN

OK I'll be closing the lid from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!Woah!!!!!!!

Oh my!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]Now @ don't know what to do.... LOL!

Thanks for the info, I laughed alot at the "wash his hands in the toilet and crap in the sink" quote!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

i guess im ok then cos the toilet seat is usually kept up in our house its just when i go into the batroom for a bath or to do my makeup or whateveri put the seat down because for some reason im scared i may be sick... i dont know why its just my strange little head playing tricks on me....[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]