Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I did have my first appt with someone to get help with my emet. I had to
    fill out a 5 page questionaire for him to review before our first meeting.
    After reading this, he came in and began to tell me I had OCD and that
    my obsessive emet thoughts and fears were part of this OCD. I began at
    age 4 or 5 to do strange ritual things like blinking my eyes for hours,
    licking my lips over and over until they were red and raw, clearing my
    throat over and over for hours and hours, counting my teeth, and other
    strange things- the list goes on- this was on my questionaire sheet. My
    parents and I always laughed about these wierd behaviors and now we all
    think it was just funny. Back in the seventies you didn't take your kid to a
    shrink. Anyway, I never thought much about it, except it was wierd but I
    seemed to sort of "outgrow" it and just had my emet for the last 20 years.
    The first thing he did was write out a prescription for several drugs he
    said I needed to start taking to benefit our therapy and it was necessary.
    I did argue a bit, but submitted. I am not afraid of nausea or anything
    like that, I just don't want to start filling my body with a bunch of meds, I
    really was hoping for counseling, behavior modification therapy and the
    such. Not a bunch of pills to pop. He prescribed- Zoloft, Clonazepam,
    and Niravam-for extreme circumstances like my daughter v* when I'm
    alone with her. I haven't taken them- and I don't want to! I am torn. Do I
    really need all this medication to get better? Anyone pls give some
    suggestions!

<<<<Do I really need all this medication to get better? Anyone pls give some suggestions! >>>>

In one word- NO! If you don't want to pursue treatment with pharmaceuticals, then by all means DON'T. It is your body, and it is your choice to put in it what you want. Inevitably, you are in the driver's seat in regards to what treatment options you want to pursue- if you don't want to take meds, that is completely your choice and your doctor should be able to work around this.

If I were you, at the next appointment I would definitely discuss this with your doctor- tell him what you are and are not comfortable with. Tell him exactly why you don't want to pursue pharmaceutical options, and that you are firm on this decision (if this is the case). If he is not amenable to this, then definitely pursue other options in regards to a therapist. Not everyone will "click"- don't get discouraged if this person doesn't work out. EVentually you will find a therapist you are comfortable with.

Goodluck! Hopefully you will be able to discuss this with him, and he will agree to work around your decision.....because after all, inevitably it is YOUR decision- no one has the right to tell you what is and is not necessary to put in your body.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't understand why he would give you 3 different medications? I don't understand why medications would benefit your therapy. If you honestly feel you don't want to take the meds then don't.
    Years ago when I went to a doctor the first thing that came up was meds, I don't feel comfortable of taking them either. I had other issues with counselors and became frustrated and never went back. I am starting to see some one now, and I felt angry because of something she said to me, the following week I went back and I told her honestly how I felt of what she said. She apolized to me and everything is fine.
    About you arguing a bit about the medication is good, I think when you go back ask why you need medication to benefit your therapy. Be open and honest with him.
    I know people are on medication for anxiety because of this phobia and it works for them.
    This is a good question for sage to answer!

Amber; Iposted my reply and saw yours..Totally agree

lgood22573when you go backI think you should be upfront and honest with this guy, tell him how you feel about medications. If you feel that this won't work I suggest looking for another therapist.

I am not opposed to medications when they are warranted. But in this case, to jump right into the meds seems foolish and counterproductive. I wouldn't do it.

Is this guy a psychiatrist as opposed to a psychologist, psychotherapist, social worker and so on? If he is a psychiatrist, then in the large majority of cases, a psychiatrist's only goal is to dispense medication to you. Many of them do not do much else, and in subsequent appointments the psychiatrist will only meet with you for about 15 minutes for an update on how the meds are working and then to modify the meds if it's needed.

For counseling without medication, I'm pretty sure that you need to see a psychotherapist or psychologist. I also think that if you want CBT, you will need to ask the psychotherapist about his/her approach -- ask him/her if it is cognitive-behavioral. You could even ask that on the phone and make the appointment with someone who does CBT.

I wouldn't take any of the meds. This guy is too pushy. I would go back to the drawing board and find a counselor instead of a psychiatrist.

wow - interesting dude. It's not that I disagree with his diagnosis (sounds like OCD to me) or his prescription of the meds (which sound pretty standard for OCD with intermittent situational anxiety). What blows my mind is his apparent arrogance and refusal to treat you as an equal and discuss what you want or think. It sounds like he's treating you like some sort of "victim" or "invalid" who isn't capable of contributing to her own treatment or therapy...basically unable to make decisions about her own life.

If you feel differently, then go back and talk to him. Remember you're his equal. You're both adults. Talk to him like an equal - ask what his thinking is about drugs, psychotherapy, etc. If you don't like what he has to say, then get another opinion - simple as that. Keep up your commitment to getting help!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks- I have decided I am NOT taking the drugs. I am going to go
    back and tell him the drugs are not how I wanted to start my treatment,
    that I hope he will continue to treat me, but if he will not, then I respect
    his opinion and will find someone else. I would be willing to try the drugs
    if my sessions were not benefiting me, but I do not want to start off just
    taking a bunch of drugs.

Here's his website if anyone is interested...

http://www.anxietydepressiondisorders.com/

Be careful with him if he is JUST a psychiatrist. Most of them usually only dispense drugs. I refer to my psychiatrist as my drug pusher, because all she does is write prescriptions for me, after 10 minutes of pointless small talk. She used to try and "counsel" me, but I put a stop to that once it seemed her main interestwas that it was weird that my favorite soda was Mountain Dew (honestly, who the hell cares?) She laughs at the exposure therapy I'm doing, and tries to up my dosage over every little bit of anxiety. I hate her. I just get my scrips and leave. My therapist, who is an intern working on his Masters in Counselling, is the one who does my therapy once a week, and he IS helping me. At this point though, my brain chemicals are still whacked out, so I need the meds. Hopefully one day I can dump them.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

lgood - Yeah, I looked at his website -- that was interesting. He's well educated and well credentialed and all of that. But the website keeps repeating that he specializes in treating "chemical imbalance in the brain." To me, that sounds like he will be very medication oriented, and his dispensing of the meds to you right away seems to confirm that.

Not to mention that the paragraph under services says that he will "formulate a treatment plan with medications, behavioral modifications, life style changes or hypnosis as needed for you." Note how the word "medications" comes first in the list, and it seemed to come first when he met with you too.

He's also an M.D., and psychiatry is quite prominently and repeatedly mentioned in his specialty list. Like kel said, I tend to think of psychiatrists as pill pushers more than anything else because that is all I have ever experienced from them. I've always gone to Ph.d psychologists, and master's level social workers for my 50 minute therapy sessions. Edited by: japa

I just read your psychiatrist's website, and it seems to me that his theory is that ALL anxiety disorders are a result of chemical imbalance in the brain...therefore the only "cure" would be to take drugs (forever). Although I agree that anxiety disorders lead to chemical/hormonal changes in the brain, there is actually no proof that these chemical changes are the "cause" of a phobia. And if drugs worked then nobody on this website who's on meds would have a problem...but they do! (ask anyone).

It kind of makes me mad that there are arrogant psychiatrists around like this. He actually advertises a "quick fix" - three or four sessions! Sounds so simple. But again, ask anyone on this site (and there are thousands)if they've gone on meds and just been cured - or even symptom-free for that matter.

Now I do agree that anti-anxiety medication is in order for many phobics. And I am NOT against it one bit. Some people are SOOOOO anxious that it's totally called for. So is occasional use of tranquilizers. But if you're only going to commit to 3 or 4 sessions, then what role will the "behavior modification" he advertises play? (I'd ask him that).

When it's all said and done, it's good he has a website. Therapist's websites are very good for letting you know what they're all about.

Check out my therapist's website and see the difference: www.geoffreycarr.net

All the best in your treatment...you hang in there and keep trying!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Well- I have cancelled my next appt with the pill pusher, and set up an
    appt with a psychologist who specializes in behav. mod. therapy so we'll
    see how it goes!

awesome - good move!

I checked out the website, and I'm considering therapy, but who can afford $150 an hour? My husband would support me if the cost were less, but I know he would never support that kind of cost.

BandNerd

You must not have any health insurance??

Anyway, I negotiated an affordable payment plan based on my income with the therapist I work with.

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd

I checked out the website, and I'm considering therapy, but who can afford $150 an hour? My husband would support me if the cost were less, but I know he would never support that kind of cost.

BandNerd

I pay $150, and have for the past 4 years. I used to go once a week when I was in intensive treatment. Probably cost me $10,000 to get fully "cured". A lot less than a car, is how I usually look at it.Many of usdon't think twice to buy cars or houses or patio furniture or have our flooring re-done. But what value can one place on good mental health? Peace, joy, freedom...even sanity. I think the 10 grand was cheap!

(oh...and also, you can get good therapists for half that if you live in a city centre and REALLY look hard - spending a long time interviewing and such)

You can find therapists who work on a sliding fee scale. I started seeing my therapist when I was unemployed, and it costs $20 per session. It still costs $20 per session, because they keep you at the same rate you came in at. I work with interns, rather than licensed therapists, but they are actively supervised by a psychologist in the office.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Yes - some interns can be great (hey - I was an intern just last year myself). We charge on a sliding scale as well. Sometimes you can get a really good deal and a really good person. Other times you can pay $200/hour for a complete idiot. The rule is: do your homework and interview, interview, interview!

Strangely enough, I didn't originally start therapy over this phobia. I started because of bad depression and feelings that I was a bad person. Now that I have resolved many of those problems, I have been thinking about eradicating the last bit of the phobia for me. So that's probably next.

Anyway, another thing that I did for the financial situation was that I made a budget and eliminated whatever bills I could (for example, I ditched cable TV), and I also picked up a part time job. What it does amount to is that being cured of the phobia or the issues I had trouble with is that it just simply is going to cost some money, and if you want the improvement in the quality of your life, you have to spend the money. There is no way around it.

amen to that!