Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just curious if anyone can remember before they had this phobia. Some of us believe we've had it all our lives. I'm thinking about therapy again, for the third time, and I'm just trying to think back in time. I know when I was a child, vomiting did not bother me at all. I can specifically remember several encounters where I vomited, and it didn't bother me. Does anyone else remember being sick before they had this fear?

Hey, i've been thinking the same thing!. I remember the last time i was really really sick, was when i had this thing you get where your period is really heavy and i v* about 20 times and i had terrible cramps in my side, but i don't remembering it bothering me, i just laughed and kept saying to my mum all i wanted to do was have a cup of tea and cookies and get in bed, the next day after that i was fine and went back into eating normal and did so for a few months, then suddenly got this phobia..but i don't remember how?. its weird...
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I remember getting sick when I was little and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't like it, but I never remember it being that big of a deal. It just stunk because I couldn't eat or play outside. My priorities were much different.

I remember the phobia "starting", I guess you could call it that, when I was in 5th grade or so when I started having bad stomach problems and a few other things happened. I always thought it was gross, but the phobia didn't come until later.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes i remember being very sick and just getting on with it. That was about 35 years ago and i haven't been sicksince.I don't remember whatit feels like not to have the phobia.

So, does this seem to be something that started for everyone when they were very young?

One day I am a happy little girl playing with her barbies and bang that little girl was gone. The phobia took over. Looking into why

I remember the first memory that I have of getting sick and I was always extremely bothered by it. I always tried to hold it back and not let it happen. I remember in 4th grade being sick in bed and putting my head down in my pillow and telling myself "you won't be sick" over and over. Then I was. My mom yelled at me for not making it to the bathroom. But even then I told myself that going to the bathroom meant I would vomit.

The only time I recall before then, I was 4 and did it in my sleep. I had NO idea what had happened. I just remember staying at a friend of my mom's and she had to get me out of bed and give me a bath in the middle of the night and call my mom.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I remember one time when I was little, I was in bed and I didn't feel good so I told my mom. She got the pail, and sat with me until I was sick. I was laughing when I was finished because it reminded me of when our cat v*ed!! I have no idea how I went from laughing about it, to being phobic about it.

I started to be like this when I was pregnant with my son back in 1999. It never bothered me before that. Now, I totally freak out about it. I HATE IT!

I'm not sure. I can't really remember. I mean, I was scared of it for awhile when it wasn't a phobia but I was never okay with it. I never outright told my parents that I felt sick. At least that's all I remember. My memory can only go back to when I was 4 years old. Before that, there's nothing and from 4 I remember being weary of it already.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I have NO IDEA what so ever about why i have this phobia. I haveent had any pass bad expereinces or anything. I rememeber when i was sick when i was younger but all i use to do was forget about it after i had done it and then next day i would laugh and joke about it.

Its so strange. I dont no im like this now, im so scared of V* now.
    A.fretwell

I was ill as a baby and was emet from then. So I don't know what it's like not to have this fear.

Ive had it since the very first time I v* as a young child. Kim

o yeahI remember being fine with v* when I was younger.. well I didn't like it... but I dealt with it alright. In fact, the last time I remember v* (I was probably around 10 *knocks on wood*) I sort of made myself v*. I felt nasty and went to the toilet and pretty much willed myself to v* so I would feel better. I barely v* anything and my mom said the only reason why I probably did v* then was because I wanted to so badly... then I remember getting a sv or something about 2 yrs later and being so terrified of v* that I fought n* for three days till I felt better. and was an emet since then. though I remember there were some aspects of v* that bothered me before then. For instance, I remember there was this cartoon show where at one point a toy's stuffing got ripped out (we had it on video I forget what it was though, I think some Christmas special and I was around 6), and I couldn't watch that scene because it reminded me of v* (very weird... since I could be around people v* and do it myself fine).

I can't remember ever not being afraid of it. My earliest memory was being in a van on a field trip when i was in daycare...I must have been about 3. One of the kids got carsick and I started freaking out and crying cause I could't get away.

I remember every single solitary puke incident since I can remember...I remember the scared feeling I had, how much i hated it, how much I wanted it to end..whether it was me or someone else. So i guess i don't know what an emet free life would be like.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I was fine with it when I was little, even remember getting sick in the middle of the night and just going back to bed like it was no big deal. The fear started for me when I was 12 and I got a bad sv* after helping other students in my class as we were on a camping trip. I wasn't afraid the night that I was actually sick and violently ill, but it has built steam since then. Its really ridiculous that it didn't bother me as a small child, but now it freaks me out....goes to show how powerful the mind really is to create that fear.

I remember how it feels not to have this. I'm 37 and I didn't get what I now know is emet until I was about 17. I was OCDish at first and it sort of morphed into emet. I was OCDish because I was afraid of catching something. I remember being able to get lunch in the school cafeteria (how brave I was!) and eat it with my bare hands, not even caring that I hadn't washed them, not even thinking about catching an sv*. Once I walked past a batch of "it" on the sidewalk and just went "EW!" and kept gabbing with my friends. I was so free! 20 years--wow. That's a long time. But, yes, I remember being carefree. I don't know what happened that it started so suddenly, and why emet? Why not some other phobia? Oh well.

Also, the few times did get sick, I sure didn't like it, but it wasn't freak out panic.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I remember one time when I was little, I was in bed and I didn't feel good so I told my mom. She got the pail, and sat with me until I was sick. I was laughing when I was finished because it reminded me of when our cat v*ed!! I have no idea how I went from laughing about it, to being phobic about it.

I was the same way..I remember laughing about it because I felt so much better afterwards and it wasn't that bad. odd how that changed so drastically.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I remember three times I v*d when I was younger. The last time was 7 years ago, when I v*ed into a bin in front of my class. I also developed eating problems around this time - my first episode of an anxiety disorder.

Before that I remember a time when I was up with my mother during the night v*ing and was very, very distressed by it because it was very painful.

The other time, my mum blamed my v*ing on me eating too much, and prior to it I ate super noodles and to this day I can't touch them.

My mum remembers me being terrified I would v* from a very young age. The thing is, I don't think this phobia "starts"I think it's a gradual process and it just creeps up on you.
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

I dont remember ever not being freaked out by v*.

I have manymemories from a youngish age, Ive said b4 that my siser v* all over the carpet when I was about 7 and I never walked on that carpet again, several incidents from primary school when i would have been around 6/7,about the same time I had some teeth out and the dentist said I would v* from the gas but when I did it was minor,I remember getting sick in the night and getting to the bathroom but mising the toilet (only a little, again) I can still picture this now and it must be over30 years ago.........

It seems to have been with me for ever............. (but hopefully wont staywith me forever!!!)

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I remember always being afraid of it when my SISTERS were sick and I would run away from them. I never really cared when I got sick, except I do remember a few times when I was little being really nauseous and just fighting through it instead of V*ing but I wasn't scared. The only times I used to get scared was WHEN I was nauseous but never before that. Then all of a sudden like two years ago I started to fear myself doing it. But it's weird cause I can remember having a SV like when I was 6 or 7 and I just calmly walked into the bathroom to V*...I mean I didn't LIKE it but I didn't freak out like I do now.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I remember maybe one time when I v*ed and didn't feel like it was horrible for hours afterward, but I truly cannot remember any time when I didn't have the phobia AT ALL.

Mine started about 3rd grade I think. My parents were always SO disappointed in me if I was sick. A girl in my class got sick and everyone laughed. Somehow in my brain, I decided that it was something bad people did. I know this is irrational, but I just can't get over it. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

BandNerd

I don't ever REMEMBER not being afraid, and my first remembrance of being afraid was when i was three.

But, my parents told me about a time when I wasn't afraid...when I was born my esophagus wasn't fully developed, and so the valve that prevented things from coming back up didn't work. I v*ed so much for the first nine months of my life, and laughed after. I took great delight in v*ing all over my mom! Lol. But then...I dunno. Something maybe to do with that, or my dad's liver illness. Idk

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I think my emet started because of transferring anxiety to nausea when I was bullied in schoolm that started when I was about 7 and the only non-emet v* experience I can remember is when I had an operation and I was in a recovery room surrounded by kids v*ing from the anaesthetic. I remember refusing to eat the sandwich they gave me but that was more of a logic thing because the kids who ate were v*ing and I decided I'd rather not, definitely no panic though.

I don't ever remember not being afraid either, but I remember being way MORE afraid later in my life, like in my teens and twenties. But I've heard from my family that my fear of sick people started when I was a baby and my mom went into the hospital.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I kind of remember the last time I v* and it was no big deal. I have just been very lucky to not have done it in a long time. I guess I fear the unknown..b/c it has been soooooo long. I did not get phobic of it until Emma had cancer.

Alls I know is that I wasn't scared of people vomitting in 1st grade, and then I was in 2nd grade. That was around the time that I started a new school 40 minutes away from my house, started to get babysat after school by my paternal grandparents instead of my maternal grandmother (not that it was a bad thing- it was just a big change), and started to get more self conscious about my body (I was very tall, developed very early, etc.). I'm sure that a lot of the anxiety I felt about other things in my life transferred itself to this phobia- I just need to learn how to un-transfer it, lol.

Around that time apparently (I don't remember- must have blocked it out) we were driving and my brother was going to be sick. This was not an uncommon occurence (he got sick A LOT when we were little- so did I for that matter), but my parents had a new car with automatic windows. Well, from up front instead of my mom putting the window down, she put it up, and lo and behold, my brother got a faceful of what he was trying to get rid of. Apparently I thought he was choking and freaked out completely. I can see how a 6 year old mind can misinterpret that experience as something life-threatening, when in reality it was just....gross.

So, the short answer to your question is- Yes, I DO remember a time where i would see someone vomit and go- well, that's kinda gross. NEXT! Now only to get back to that state....

*amber*

I remmember it. I was little (i have this phobia since 5-6 years old) and I V some cherry juice or something, and I was ok with it...

These were days...