Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: smoking

I have a question about cigarette smoking. I really want to quit, but smoking is something I do when I am having anxiety or a full-blown panic attack, and it is like my security blanket. I am a fairly light smoker, usually 4-5 cigs a day, sometimes more on bad days. I know it is really unhealthy, and want to quit, but what can I do as a substitute when I'm freaking out? Does anyone have any experience/wisdom to share? Thanks.

Hey, well im not a smoker, but my brother was a very heavy smoker he used to get through a few packs a day, he used to smoke when he was stressed or feeling down. He did it by working out and things, like going on bike rides and stuff to keep his mind occupied, so he's quit now and hasnt been smoking for about 8 months now. Also when i have a panic attack i tend to chew gum a lot.

Ruth.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am the same way- a light smoker around 5 a day unless a lot of stress. I
    absolutely hate it, and every where I look I see someone else with lung
    cancer from smoking. I will be happy to buddy up with you, I just now
    threw my cigarettes away for the 200th time. I have a daughter (I never
    smoke around her- I go outside on the porch) so I would like to be
    around a long time for her. I had quit until my daughter got a sv* last
    month and started right back up again.

I'm a smoker too but I smoke WAY more then you guys. Half a pack a day just about...maybe even more! I want to quit but I smoke SO MUCH...my dad smokes like 6 cigs a day and he's been able to quit for a year at a time but then he starts up again. So I think to myself, If someone who only smokes 6 cigs a day has problems quitting then what hope do I have? Then again I had an uncle who smoked a pack or two a day for 30 years and quit cold turkey and hasn't had one since I saw him about 4 years ago. I don't know how people do it, but I would be open to any advice too!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I have heard smoking actually increases stress levels. I've just done a quick search and found this: http://www.cbn.com/LivingTheLife/Fea...ndaHelps/Cigar etteSmoking.asp

Two close friends of mine gave up smoking last year, one was actually a chain smoker. They have now been off them for just over a year. They did it through the free NHS programme - they went along to group meetings and used nicoteen patches prescribed for free as part of the programme. One of the friends actually can't bare the smell of cigarette smoke now! The money they have saved not having to buy ciggies has treated them to allsorts!

Having just lost a friend to lung cancer most likely caused through passive smoking, I am a big supporter of people wanting to give up.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I'm a big time smoker too Need to quit really bad....but love it so much...most of the time anyway. I have found that 99% of the time, it relieves much stress for me. I would feel very stressed if i did not have my cigs. My father has had heart attack, stroke, lung cancer, and has emphysema now and is on oxygen.....his dad died of emphysema and smoked forever too. My father quit cold turkey after smoking since he was like 12...he's now 71...and he's been quit for about 12 yrs i think. He nags me alllllllllllllllll the time about it. He says smoking causes all my stomach problems...which he is probably right. I am very stubborn. I have tried to quit twice...and it worked for 2 days....i went insane. But i know i need to. I have a whole box of patches at home, never put one on....i had a whole bottle of that Wellbutrin and never took a single pill. I am actually scared to quit. That's my only security blanket i have in my life. I have control over whether i smoke or not, and i think that is why i like it so much...b/c it's something I can control. I don't know, i know it's going to kill me one day. Just watching my dad struggle for every single breath he takes should give me some incentive...but i am weak.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I am a smoker and i don't want to quit yet, my smokes are to me what a blankie is to a baby! Ya- Ya- I'm only me. Who does'nt have a bad habit? I'd say, chew gum or like some people say, chew on a straw? That's what i'll try first when i try to quit., if that don't work, maybe the patch- but some side effects are what us emets do not like. Good Luck- I heard food tastes better to a non-smoker too! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]