Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know I've written a couple of times about my upcoming surgery, but I am terrified, as you can imagine. I am having a dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary, and possibly the whole ovary. This is scheduled for May 4, and I am so scared I'm going to end up cancelling it! After extensive research, I think spinal anesthesia would cause less nausea and/or vomiting than general anesthesia. Has anyone ever had spinal anesthesia or know anyone who has? One of my friend's had this for a C-section, and she was fine, but I really needmore reassurance! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Edited by: halfoverthefur

Hey half-

I had a gynocological surgery in March and posted the same concerns back then. The doc didn't give me the choice of anesthesia, so it was a general. I too was scared to death. I told the anesthesiologist I was emetophobic (and, of course, he laughed), but he DID put an anti-emetic into the IV line even before the surgery. They continued with the anit-emetics after the surgery, and I didn't ever feel the least bit n*. I also had an epidural (spinal block) when my son was born. No n* there either.

Please don't think about cancelling the surgery on account of the anesthesia making you sick. If you take the proper precautions before and after by telling them you want an anti-emetic, you won't have any problems.

On another note - be careful about the pain meds AFTER the surgery. Morphine pumps can make you really n*!

Good luck!!!

Marby,

Thanks for reassurring me. If you don't mind me asking, did you have to stay in the hospital? I have to stay two to three days because they are doing a laparotomy. I have never stayed ina hospital or had surgery, and my nerves are getting the best of me right now. My doctor did say I would probably just go home on ibuprofen. What did you take for pain, the morphine?

I have had spinalfor giving birth, that was nice. But it makes your back sore. I also had surgery almost a year ago to remove a lump off off my head. I was put under. They gave me something to get sleepy as well as something to keep me from v*. Then they put me under when I got into the surgery room. Things went good. Just have them give you some anti n* meds

Half -

Yep - I stayed over for two days. I can understand your concerns since you've never stayed in a hospital or had surgery - nerves are normal! I did not get to the point of the morphine pump because my sister (who knows about the emet) told me to be sure I didn't get one because it made her very n*. They gave me Vicodin, which did not make me n* at all - then I moved on to Ibuprofen when I got home.

Try not to stress too much about it. I know - easier said thand one. You'll do great! Alot of people told me that the waiting was the hardest, most stressful part of the surgery - and they were right!

i had my baby 3 weeks ago and i had some complications so they said they were going to use forceps and if that didnt work they was going to give me an emergency C section... so they would have to give me a spinal anesthia which they did and i was scared i would be sick so i told them i didnt want to be sick and they gave me an injection to prevent me from being sick and guess what.... i wasnt sick! i was fine so im sure you will be too.... [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've had 2 epidurals and no nausea.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Me too, 2 epidurals, no nausea. Also, one general and no nausea either. It was only a 20 min op though but if it was longer I'd definitely ask for an anti-emetic, it really isn't a problem to give this and I'm sure the anaesthetist will be more than happy to help

Good luck, either way, there's plenty that can be done to stop any v*

Just definately ask the person doing the anesthesia to make it so you don't feel sick. Don't be embarassed to do this. I did and to be honest I felt funny, but it was okay, and they did and man I felt on cloud nine when I woke up. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Just one question for those of you who had epidurals. Did the actual injection hurt? I mean it is so long that I wondered if it was more painful than your typical injections? What hurts more the needle of an epidural or the liquid?

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

Hey Pumpkin -

My doctor numbed the area with a topical anesthesia before putting the epidural needle in . I felt pressure, but no pain. My hubby on the other hand almost passed out!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I think spinal anesthesia doesn't cause as much nausea and throwing up. But you should tell them about your phobia and they should give you an anti-emetic. 4 yrs ago, I had a hernia operation which required general anesthesia and i went into it without knowing it could cause nausea and vomiting. It happened to me tho, i threw up twice. I told them rite b4 i got sick, "Can you give me an anti-emetic or something" they were like "no we can't, coz you're just gonna throw it up anywayz, you're too nauseated now, you should get sick and feel better, you should have told us b4 the surgery tho" So i had no choice, it wasn't that bad tho becoz at least for me, the smell and taste of vomit are big part of my fear. Since i had nothing inmy stomach, i just threw up some medicine-like tasting plain liquid which was odorless. But the nausea really scared me.

So ask for an anti-emetic b4 hand.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Good luck!</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

My advice is to be very upfront with your doctor and surgical staff. I've had two surgeries and before both of them I made it very clear that I did not want to have any n* or v*. They shot me up with antiemetic meds before they even put me to sleep, then in recovery they continually asked me how I was feeling. The least bit of n* and they gave me another dose of it.

You'll be fine, remember they don't want you sick either, so just make sure not to eat anything the morning of the surgery and be upfront with the nurses taking care of you.

Pumpkin, Once the needle is in, you can't feel the liquid. Bend over so your tummy touches your knees and scratch your backbone right in the center of your back. Thats about how not painful it is. I also warned the anestheseologists about my fear and with my c-section, by the time I started to feel a little nauseas(and I mean very tiny bit-more like my acid reflux because I was lying so far backward on the table) the baby was out, and he turned up the anti-emetic and the demeral and I was in sleepy land.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I just wanted to say that when i had my epidural i was in labor so the only pain i could feel was that! lol ugh!

marby-lol at the hospital i was in they make all hubbys leave the room during those because too many have fainted there haha.

Not so bad...I have had 3 c-sections 2 of with were spinals as opposed to epidural or general and yes they can give you an emetic in your IV but the worst part is ok....I have to be graphic- with my last baby I knew I wanted my tubes tied so I knew the c-section would be the perfect time but the pressure on my stomach and organs with the tube tying was alful...I to the anestesiologist "give me some nausea stuff " and he said he did butthe reason it was so bad was cause they were reaching and pulling on my fallopian tubes and that is right in the general area of the stomach. The other two spinals were so so but this last time with the tubes tied was rough. Just relax it has to be done but the anti emetic stuff really worked the 2 previous times. Good Luck
    You MUST do the thing you fear the most- E. Roosevelt

Sadiemae,

Did you have any sedation, or were you wide awake? I am going to have sedation, as well.