Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Soap

Hi Everyone

I have just started a new job and in the toilets, instead of hand wash they just have bars of soap. I mentioned this to someone at work as i think it is really unhygenic but my company can't do anything about it becasue the bulding is shared.

Does anyone know if soap is as clean as handwash, and if not - what shall i do? I have been keeping baby wipes in my drawer and cleaning my hands before i have lunch but have slipped up a few times and don't want to get caught out

Thanks
    Will this last forever????

Well, I don't like the idea of bar soap, either. I worry about other people's germs on it. Maybe you could wash with it and then use some Purell or other hand sanitizer to be extra sure.

Thanks

I also don't want to draw attention to myself and use something descrete if possible - i don't want people to know about my phobia and will look daft taking something into the loo with me every time i go [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

If they cant' change it and you dont wanna take something with you, maybe wash your hands and then when you go out use your baby wipes? that would be basically the same.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Maybe you could carry your own bar of soap with you. You could get the trial size and get a case for it and it would be small enough to be discrete. In fact, it would probably look like a small make up compact. Edited by: babygap5
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

well, i hate bar soap too...but sometimes i get so fed up, i just say "hey, its soap! its self-cleaning " lol. however, i like the idea of carrying a small personal soap with you good luck!

-hayley xoxo
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

I always carry a handy little bottle of Purell hand sanitizer with me and use it after i have washed my hands before i eat when i am work. I know it is pretty expensive over here in the UK but it is well worth the money and there is the bonus that you can use it anytime as it just looks like you are rubbing in a little handcream! Here is a link to a shop selling it on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Purell-Instant...tiser-Medical- Healthcare-or-In_W0QQitemZ7602903184QQcategoryZ31474QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Trinity

I work in abuilding with 100 so staff and the toilets have handwash but I dont like using it so I always keep good ole babywipes in my drawer and use those each time I use the toilet or before I eat.

My colleagues dont think I odd they just love the smell of babywipes (and I think if they are good enuff for cleaning babys bums they are good enuff for cleaning jmy hands!!!)

Laney[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To save your hands from drying out this is what I do (although we have hand wash at work there is no hot water on my floor and I don't feel my hands are clean unless they are washed inhot/warm water[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]This has been non-existent on my floor since we moved in to the building we are now in last year!).

Anyway - I wash my hands with what is in the bathroom at work after going to the loo but before I eat anything I use a hand sanitizer - like Purell. That way I know my hands are clean and it makes me feel that I look less of a "freak".

Hope that helps.
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

Thats GROSS!! I would bring my own bottle of soap with me! Sometimes we run out at work so I keep an extra stash at work with me!!

Okay, so my son-in-law is sitting on my couch studying for his bio exam (he's in pre-med) and he's studying the transmission of viruses right now. So I asked him... a) can bacteria live on a bar of soap and b) what's the chance someone could catch a noro-virus (that's a stomach-virus proper name) from a bar of soap. His answer was a) a small amount of bacteria could live on the soap for a short time - although it's unlikely that enough of the bacteria could live there to get someone sick and b) the chance of catching a noro-virus from a bar of soap when you wash your hands with the soap is ....zero. (!)

Hope this helps!

Oh ya - he also added: you should be far more worried about touching other peoples' computers at the office!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Good to hear! I still am careful with phones and puters!!!

Thanks everyone for your re-assurance. I may get myself some hand sanitizer just incase, but feel fairly confident that the soap and baby wipes are ok for now!

You could also purchase some of those antibacterial hand wipes. They come in individual packets, so you can put a couple in your pocket in the morning on your way out.

folks i don't think purell kills the norovirus (norwalk) but i know there is a product (hand sanitizer) that does. my gf and i use it all the time when traveling, etc.:

http://sf1000.registeredsite.com/~us...02/product.php

Yuccck, I hate it when people or businesses only have bar soap. I also think it is unhygenic. Like everyone else said, use some Purell or a similar product. It is discreet enough, I really doubt that people would notice you were using it, and there is nothing embarrassing about washing/sanitizing your hands before you eat anyway.

I know that if we shower with bars of soap it is probably just as sanitary but... I dont really trust it myself. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Edited by: heartfromthe50s