Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So I finally decided after 2 years of fighting these panic attacks to get on some medication. I've had a very rough 2 weeks with multiple attacks every day...my son and I have been around many sv's lately, including one that went through our house but didn't get either him or me, thank God. But anyway, I had mentioned it to my bf once before that I was thinking about getting some meds and he said he thought I could get through the attacks without meds and I kinda agreed, I hate the idea of being medicated every day. But with the frequent attacks lately he and I both agreed that I need something, even if it's temporary, just to help me relax and get a hold on the situation. I just want to enjoy my life again, that's it.

So I talked to the pharmacist I work with and she mentioned Wellbutrin. I asked my doc for a prescription today and he told me to try it fora month. He also mentioned an anti-anxiety called Buspar (buspirenone) and I wasn't very familiar with it so I took the Wellbutrin instead. Then when I went to get the medicine the pharmacist gave me a pamphlet on Buspar and it does sound like it fits my situation better that the Wellbutrin would. But I will try this Wellbutrin for a month and see what happens.

Is anyone else taking Wellbutrin or Buspar?? I'd like to hear experiences of both. My Wellbutrin pamphlet says something about it possibly causing insomnia, which is really worrying me...it's getting close to Finals week at college and my job requires me to be very responsible handling peoples' meds of course, so I can't be tired and groggy...any advice is appreciated.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Okay, I've read some other threads and I've seen a med mentioned called Celexa. Can anyone tell me about that one too?

I'm just so worried about side effects, especially loss of sex drive...

I don't know much about either of these meds, I just wanted to comment on being on meds. If they help you get through your day, then you shouldn't feel bad for taking them. You have a legitimate medical reason for using them, and if they help, I say more power to you. I have been on Zoloft twice, and it helped me to be less paranoid and more calm. I am not on it now, but I think I am going back on, because things are just too hard right now without it. Good luck![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I was placed on Welbutrin in 2003, and it made me much worse..I didn't get out of bed unless I had to, and it made me almost suicidal..so just be careful ~

I take Celexa, and am glad to have it. I know people on Wellbutrin and actually it is one of the meds that has the least sexual side effects. The Wellbutrin helped my friend greatly. I am much better with my anxiety, OCDishness and emet thanks to the Celexa. I don't take medication unless I truly think I need it, as is the case with me here. I acually sleep better on the medication, but I am not groggy. There are many meds to try and the doses can be adjusted. I hope you get to feeling better.

I took my first Wellbutrin this morning and so far I am a little drowsy and have some dizziness/vertigo...I suppose that's normal for starting a med like this. I take 1 pill for 3 days then up the dosage to 2 a day...I took it with food in case it upset my stomach. I'm going to look for message boards and try to find some experiences with Wellbutrin/Buspar.

Smokycat - you said you only take celexa when you need it...so it's not a med you take daily? I hadn't heard of it before, so I didn't know anything about it. I don't even know if we have it at the pharmacy. I read in another post that you are in TN, correct? I'm in KY.

I have taken Buspar on and off for 10 years. At most, it takes the edge off of daily anxiety, but it doesn't help with my panic attacks. Of course, you can take up to 60 mg a day, and I only take 22.5 mg a day.

Do you have any side effects from the Buspar?

I am not an expert, but buspar is kind of an old anti-anxiety...I really think that there is newer and better stuff out there. I have heard really good things about ativan...but these are sort of addictive. I have tried wellbutrin, lexapro, and paxil and found that the paxil helped me so much...the important thing to remember is that everyone responds to these medications differently and it may take some time to find the best one for you, but make sure that you give it a good chance, at least 3-4 weeks or more to decide if it is working and NEVER mess with your dosage or stop taking it without talking to your doctor...Man, I sound like one of those anti-depressant commercials!!

I don't want to scare you or anything but the Buspar made me VERY sick. I never V*ed or anything but I was like N* 24/7 when I was on it. The figured out that was the cause of it after a month so they took me off. I'm not saying it would happen to you but it did make me sick.

I was on Welbutrin for a year or two and that seemed to help me with panic attacks (I was also on Zoloft) My dad took Welbutrin to help him quit smoking (I guess it helps I don't know) The only complaint HE had was that when he meditated (Which he does twice a day 7 days a week) he was having weird images in his head so he stopped taking it. But Welbutrin never made me sick and it did help. I'm glad you didn't go with the buspar...I never want to even SEE a pill of that again!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Today I've noticed the drowsiness and dizziness as I mentioned above, and the past few hours I've noticed something else. When I'm not doing anything physical and my mind is just "there", not thinking or working, I've noticed that I kind of tune out. Like earlier, I was watching TV and all of a sudden I realized I hadn't been paying attention to the program or even noticed anything on the screen. Kind of like daydreaming, but more intense, or really heavily. I don't know how to describe it.

Samara, maybe this is what your dad experienced? Because I can see how that would happen if I was meditating and my mind was relaxed, it's like I would kick on auto-pilot or something. Thanks for the info on the Buspar. I wondered why I hadn't heard of it...it must be an "older" med. You say Paxil helped you? Any side effects? Is it for panic or depression? My mom's mentioned it often and I'm considering it if the Wellbutrin doesn't do the trick.

Wellbutrin is also prescribed to help people quit smoking. It reduces the cravings for food so you won't gain weight after quitting.

I'm sorry, that was silver that mentioned the Paxil. Sorry Samara!

Hey falon! I take the Celexa daily. I just meant that I feel its necessary for me to be on this med to improve my life and its not like I just take stuff to get a buzz or something (I know people like that--any reason to take a Valium is good) not that Celexa gives me a buzz, but you know. Yup I'm in East Tn. Whereabouts are you in KY?

Just a quickie - there's a terrific site called Remedyfind.com. Lots of consumer reports on any med you can think of. Of course they all have positive and neg things to say about everything. To be honest, Wellbutrin sounded not all that helpful!

A friend of mine is doing great on Prozac tho she's taking it for general depression not a phobia. I am thinking of starting the Cipramil (celexa) I was prescribed a while ago as I'm so fed up with feeling low... keep putting it off as I feel I should really talk to the doc first (and I don't want to!).

Let us know how you get on!

Hey smokycat! I'm in southeastern KY, right on the VA border. Maybe we are close?!

Falon,

When I take a higher dose than usual of the Buspar, I sometimes feel a little lightheaded.