Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone, I want to start opening up to people about my emet, and I don't know how. My husband and a few close friends/family know I suffer from panic attacks, but they don't know the main cause of them.
    I am so tired of this, and want to reach out but I am scared to. I don't want people to think I'm crazy, or scoff at me or laugh. And if anyone teased me I think I would die. Thoughts? Thanks.

Well, I told people right away. That way I have them looking out for me when I am at work. They tell me if there is v* somehwere. People at work finally now realize how bad I am. They laugh, make jokes, think its funny, but I don't care. I am what I am, don't like it, don't talk to me. My mom thinks I'm nuts too. But since I showed her some websites, she seems to understand. I think she just thought it was me being an idiot. If I were you, I would print out some information to explain it to people. They seem to understand it or find it more believablle if they read it on paper. I think I read some where that emet is the #6 phobia. So, we are not alone. Hope things work out for you. Keep me posted!

My mother understands this better than anyone. My ex-husband knew and my current husband knows, but I don't think they can begin to understand this fear. Also, one of my friend's from high school knew I didn't like to see vomiting scenes in movies, but I don't think they really knew about my phobia. Not sure I really knew it was a phobia then, either. It's hard for others to understand how we feel.

If they tease you or think you're crazy, it's their problem, not yours. Well I know a lot of emets feel ashamed or embarassed about their phobia. But i've never been. If ppl dismiss my fear as childish, or tease me and laugh at me, calling me crazy, i'd defend myself. After all what's so crazy about this? Is throwing up something really that pleasant? Is it something that ppl are supposed to desire? Even the least phobic person would say vomiting is unpleasant and that they dont' like to do it. So it's not surprising at all for some ppl to have a fear of it! Unpleasant things causing phobias is not surprising at all! I haven't been teased at all, but some ppl have said "oh that's so weird" even that pissed me off. I said "well what's so weird about it? phobias exist, there's all kinds of phobias on earth. Plus it's not like a phobia of apples or olives, it's a phobia of something that nobody likes dealing with, so what exactly is causing you to say it's so weird?" So don't worry! Don't be afraid to tell ppl! And never be embarasssed of this phobia.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: bigemet

i told people straight away, then they will understand you more and more. they will except you for who you are other wise they are not worth it. it is important to remeber this when telling people, so you dont get upset.

i dont think that you have to be embarrsed abou this phobia, it is just something that we have come accross. i am sure than everyone is afraid of something, you are affraid of s*. if people get funny with you than that is a good way to remind them that your normal!

be warned though- when you do tell people they usually begin to describe the times where they/their buddy/sister/dog etc. got sick. Or they pretend like they don't feel well and are just about to and then fake it. Don't tell anyone that won't care about you enough to stop it when you tell them to knock that off and explain that you're serious.

I recently told my dad as he has MAJOR anxiety issues (only started in last few years) as I wanted himto know that I understand his anxiety issues but obviosly where v* is concerned.

I told my hubby 18mths ago after a really badseries of events and he was really supportive. He has a problem with dog poop (now that doesnt bother me at all - ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!) so could understand my issues.

A couple of weeks ago I told a work colleague who was really supportive, she said when she walks past v* she holds her breath and altho she has kids she rarely gets sick (she cd be mildly emet but who knows)

Well lastly I told my boss as I have some big training coming up that involves going to another town and I panickes, she was ok about it (not as supportive buut I know she is not good with "persoanl stuff"and thats fine) amd siad rather than travel with colleagues I can get the train. Phew *breathes biiiiiiiig sigh of relief*

I guess the moral to my (long) story is that you just have to think carefully about who you tell. Im now 37 and only 4 people know for sure about my emet.

Laney xxx