Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Welp today I got 2 cavities filled (yippie!) and well I was wondering is it normal for the tooth to hurt when you bite down on it, and the teeth around it some to hurt too? Its like biting down on tinfoil if I chew too hard on the teeth or the immidiate teeth around the ones filled. Is it a nerve thing?

I've spent a lot of time at the dentist, and have plenty of experience. There are a few things it could be. Your dentist may not have filed the filling/tooth down enough after doing the filling, thus making you bite harder on the side work was done on. This can hurt pretty bad, the pain is even worse if you have any inflammation in the gum tissue around the tooth. If your bite is off, you'll want it fixed so you don't start developing jaw trouble. It could also be simple irritation from the dam they put in or from theanesthetic used to numb the area. You may also have a gum/tooth infection or abscess, you'll know you have one if the pain keeps you up at night or causes tears. I developed an abscess after a simple filling once because the dentist didn't dig out all of the decay before filling. Putting the filling on can seal in the bacteria, which inflames the tooth pulp. The bacteria have no place to go from there. If it gets worse, call your dentist. If it isn't better after a week, you should go back. Hope it feels better soon!

Katie

You will probably find that your teeth settle down again in a day or so.

I have naff teeth and always am haviong something or other done and my teeth are sensitive. After the dentist has been diggingabout for a while you are bound to find some discomfort.

As per subabruprincess, if you are still having problems in a week, go back to your dentist. Hope the teeth feel better soon!!!

Laney XX

I've had A LOT of work done on my teeth and I would say that my teeth feel sore after getting worked on at the dentist. It should clear up in a few days, if it doesn't I'd be worried but I just think it's from the work you had done on them.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Thanks for the replies. Its not bad, its just when I bite down with food its like ouch! Hopefully it'll be okay here in a day or so. Nothin like drilling all around and injecting novicane into my jaw. Sometimes my jaw is sore too where the shot went in (thank God they numb the skin before they put the needle in! Only once they didn't they were already working and man OUCH!)

maybe you have sensitive teeth??
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

I have somany fillings, even some of my front teeth are filled. It's normal for a recently filled tooth to feel a little uncomfortable for a few days, especially if the filling isquite large, you just need to give it time to settle down. If it's still bothering you after a week or so give your dentist a call.

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Thanks Tracey,

Your probably right. Maybe its because when they drill they go near the nerve or actually touch the nerve? WhenI brushed my teeth it was quite uncomfortable to even brush over the filled teeth. I'll just have to wait and see if it gets better.

Mine ALWAYS hurt after being drilled. I went 16 years without a single cavity, and now all at once I have had like 5. Only 2 have needed drilling so far, and they are STILL sensitive after being drilled like 2 months ago. It strikes me as a nerve type of problem like you thought- or my teeth are just totally sensitive/I have thin enamel. If it isn't normal for you to have pain after that, please do call your dentist if it doesn't improve.

I have worked in a dental surgery for many years and in my experience I have found that when the filling is still sore to bite down on after a few days, it can bebecause the filling is too large and needs to be shaved down a little to match your bite. See how it goes. If it doesn't improve I would be going back for sure. It will only take 5 mins if that is it.

thanks csjones and antz. Its still like ouch when I bite down too hard on it. Hopefully it'll just get adjusted and be okay.