Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have to admit I am a severe emetophobe.
    I thought I was getting better, as in, I was able to talk about v* and other choice words relating to it. And if people pretended to gag (like the "oh gross *gag*) I was able to overcome it and laugh about it.

However, today some kid v* water & later I guess he v* other stuff (he did it multiple times but by then I had curled up and was ramming my face into someone's body and screaming & trying to hide) right infront of me through a tennis court gate (he was inside and I was outside) and I had a panic attack and had a rather melodramatic episode and people were just looking at me as if I were mad! (Well, honestly I would have had the same reaction if I saw myself.)

And after that I had my friend (who was making fun of me the whole time) guide me while I shut my eyes closed to the parking lot where my car is

Needless to say, I want to die right now not from embarrassment but from what I saw today.

Hi

I understand what u are going through. I am 17 and i have very bad emetophobe. and i hate it, it has taken over my life, if i want to do something then its like something is pulling me back and saying "no u cant do that it will mack u v* and all this stuff" and of course i give in.

I cant go through a day without worrying about it. I cant do the things i want to do with my live. and sometimes i just think whats the point in all this.

But i have been thinking alot and i have decided im not going to let this thing beat me. I want help for it, really i do. But then i starts all over again, its like something is telling me "no dont get help because what if it doesnt help at all" and then i feel so small all over again.

I totaly understand how u feel
    A.fretwell

When I was 15 and in highschool I remember walking up the hall to last class and some one had been sick a few feet ahead of me I freaked out, I started to get anxious and began freaking out, basically I looked like an ass. I didn't go to class, I went home. I quit school, I couldn't handle it at all.
    Please don't get down on yourself, this phobia is hard and so frustrating. It can ruin your everyday living I know it wrecked mine for 31 years. Now I am stronger. It has taken years to get to where I am now. There are so many things that I have accomplished because I have put my foot down and said enough is enough. I am ready to conquer this phobia and I am almost there. Try to find a therapist to help you with this phobia. Honestly you are stronger then you think.

As with many phobias, there will be ups and downs. As soon as we think we've conquered it we let our guard down and it comes fighting back. Don't be hard on yourself, most of us on this board would have done the same thing, that is... if we actually stayed there. I know I would have run off screaming had it been me. Keep your chin up and keep fighting, don't let this set back get to you.

Unfortunately, everybody comes across v* things from time to time, a lot of things that non-emets wouldn't even notice, like on TV or jokes or whatever. Someone mentioned on another thread about seeing v* on the street and how it always seems to happen to us. It's just typical!

I take it you are still at school, and horselover says they are only 17 too. I think a lot of people have this fear from a young age. I am a 22 year old girl and I have had my phobia since I was 10. It is hard when emet feels like it's ruining your life, but please don't let it stop you going out, mixing with people and doing things that you enjoy

PS - I have only just joined, but I am finding this site very supportive!