Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hiya,

Last week I decided that i wasnt going to put up with this phobia anymore, i didnt wanna tell anyone (including my family) just incase i couldnt do it. But anyway it seems as tho the fates have been testing me this week.

First of all, I was in my psychology class wen the boy 2 seats away from me, asks to leave the room becuz he felt sick. My ears pricked up and i felt a bit uneasy, but then he went home after he was sick and I felt more comfortable. It didnt cross my mind anymore. I wasnt worried that evening or anything (which is great for me) and wen i saw him in school the next day, I asked him casually if he was feelin better. I found out that he is diabetic and his sugar levels had been dodgy which made him ill. So... it made me realise that if i had have been worried about it then it would have been a complete waste of time becuz its nothing that i could have caught!

Also, for the football match on last night, me and my friends all went to the pub. First of all, the pub was so PACKED, we could barely move. This would normally worry me, becuz i wouldnt have been able to easily get out if need be, but i didnt think about it until afterwards. Also one of my friends had quite a bit to drink and after returning from the toilet she said that she had been sick 4 times. I assumed that it was from the drink so I didnt worry at all, i was around her the rest of the evening and didnt panic. not even wen i had got home 4 hrs later. I cant believe how calm i have been about things lately lol!

A few more incidents with other ppl vomiting have occured in the past week but i dont want to bore u all lol. The main thing is that these thingsseem to have jogged something in my head, thats telling me that just becuz someone else has been sick, doesnt mean that im definately goin to be too, so theres no point in worrying about it unless it actually happens! Sorry this was a bit long, but i'm really proud of myself! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Hopefully i will be able to control this bloody phobia after all!

Rachel xxx

Yup you're right!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]There was a time last month when i said i wanna be cured of this phobia..... then i was in some quite awful situations and i kept calm about it all! but i wish things had stayed that way.... i'm worrying a lot lately [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]And i have no reason to be!

But i hope you keep those things up, it sounds liek you are doing great and i hope it sets an example to everyone here [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

thats really great rachel.... so glad ...

im a bit depressed today cause just today one of my friends ran to the toilet casue she was feeling sick.. and i went and had a panic attack... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

i felt so selfish, SHE was the one feeling bad!! i just cudnt help it...

i just got out of the classroom she was in, and went and sat in a room alone for a while...

eugh. so disappointed with myself, but if u can do it, one day, so can i.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

two things:

1) jen: don't be so hard on yourself. beating yourself up doesn't help anything...it just makes you feel way worse.

2) rachelle: good on you. my therapist explained to me that there's a strong link between behaviour, thought and anxiety, and that the first step is dealing with the behaviour. here's how he explained it to me. every time i don't touch a doorknob because i'm afraid of the germs on it, i reinforce the thought that the doorknob=germs and that that's a bad thing, and it reinforces the anxiety i feel around the issue. but if i DO touch the doorknob, and i do it repeatedly, eventually the thoughts are given less power and lead to way less anxiety...does this make sense? that's why your behaviour is a great first step toward healing, and not to mention that it will simply make you feel better because you're getting out more and because you're setting out to beat this thing, which is powerful psychologically.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Good on you Rachelle, I've glad you've handled your week well! On the other hand, I've also had an awful week with my phobia but haven't been doing so well. I've actually beendoing okay for some time with no major freak-outs since March,but this week has been terrible and all the old worries and feelings have come back Sorry if this gets a bit graphic.... On Monday I drove past the school near my house and saw a girl doing the deed outside. It was horrible but I didn't see much as I went past quite quickly. Then on Wednesday I went to a concert and some guy threw up RIGHT next to me on the train home- somehow I didn't freak out and reasoned with myself that he was drunk ... and then today! My colleague comes into work and tells me in great detail about her boyfriend's stomach bug and how he was up all night with it ... noooooo! Last night I had two panic attacks; it's been a horrible, horrible week! And now my stomach is hurting and I'm convinced I'm coming down with something from one of these people...I'm scared to go to bed tonight

Whew...what a first post!

Hello! Welcome to the site. Sounds like a bad day! Anyway you are sooooo lucky to have found this place! It is thebest place in the whole world wide web! (Except that you have to have a debiliating, misery inducing phobia to qualify to join but still!) Welcome. Do you want an avatar? I always find great ones, ask anybody.

Well Rachelle That is AWSOME I am so proud to hear how well you handled it all.
    Just remember this time and how awsome you felt the next time you get into a situation.

Jennah don't be so hard on yourself. I wouldn't feel so bad about it ESPECIALLY if your friend knows about your phobia.

AUFACHSE welcome to the site. It is a pleasure to meet a new person. You have a found an awsome site. You will get great advise and super support. Not a great day it seems for you, but you made it through. I hope you have an easy rest. Unless you were kissing or sharing drinkins with her boyfriend or was close to him for a long period of time using his things I wouldn't worry about it. Just wash your hands a lot and don'pt share your cup with your room mate. She may not even get it, IF it was in fact the stomach bug. If she doesn't get it then the chances are TINY TINY for you.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

E-liz: you've got a really smart therapist. I hope others have read your post and gotten a little more enlightened about the dangers of avoidance behavior. I hope he's nice, too!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

just wanna join in and say welcome to aufachse..... uv come to a great place

and thanks guys... i think iv stopped being so hard on myself....hmph.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN: