Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Good morning everyone,

I had what I think was a really bad exposure and would like your opinion on its severity. I bought a cereal bar at the drugstore, took it to work, put it on my desk and a short while ago ate it. Rather than take it out of the wrapper and eat it with my hands heaven-forbid [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] I pushed it out and took bites as I pushed it. But in the process of eating the last bite, my lips touched the very end of the wrapper and I swallowed.

I am now convinced that this was a major exposure and I am doomed to get SV - just thinking of all of the things and unclean hands, etc. that touched the wrapper that then touched my lips.

I am so scared... afraid I am doomed... do I have any chance of not getting it now?

Thank you so much,
    Lewis

No, your fine....don't worry. I eat my stuff like that all the time. Will never take it out of the wrapper, dont want my germy fingers on the food. You will be fine. No worries!!!

Nah, don't worry about it. You WILL be just fine. I have seen tests done swabbing door knobs at public places, public toilets and money-things handled by tons of people daily. Money had the least germs for some reason and I've read that even a dog's mouth is cleaner than own. How ironic is that? A dog eats just about anything and we don't. I am an emet and have accidently had my dog lick me on the mouth and I've never gotten sick. I'm convinced that your wrapper was a lot cleaner than my pet's mouth. You will be fine. Try not to focus on that too much or you'll develop fake symptoms that only serve to drive you to obsess.

Let us know how you do so we can remind you the next time this happens that you will be fine again cuz you were this time.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

Keep in mind that it takes quite a bit to make you sick. Your body's natural defense can kill off small amounts of germs, usually without you noticing, its when there's too many and you have to set your immune system into high gear that you feel the illness. No worries, there is no way that could make you sick!

Thank you so much for your responses everyone. But I now have an even worse situation. It's been a horrible day.

I was just outside for a half hour on a phone call and I couldnt' stop the call but was attacked several times by a swarm of flies and gnats. We are right by the water and it is 80 degrees out now so it is unavoidable. I got back inside and even found two on my shirt.

I read online that flies and gnats etc. can spread gastroenteritis - SV!!! I am still pulling them off my shirt - tons of them!

I've really done it this time.... am I doomed??

Thanks everyone ... I am really panicking here.

Best,
    Lewis

It can only spread if one particular fly had bitten one particular person while they were still in the contaigous (sp?) stages of SV, and drank enough blood for it to affect you. Or, if you were somewhere near a sewer and the fly that bit you also ate some contaminated poo. The chances are slim, but there, however I highly doubt anything will happen. I wouldn't be too worried. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Edited by: phobos

I have never read anything about flies and gnats. However, the wrapper thing is also an impossibility - you can't get a virus this way.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't worry about the wrapper!! I highly doubt that there is virus on there. I know it's hard to calm down when you've had a bad emet day already, but we know that you can do it. Do something that you really enjoy, or something that relaxes you. You're fine!!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

lewisr -- Weren't you the person whose work had the sv going around it a few weeks ago, and you were really panicking about that?

If that was you, I believe that the anxiety that got stirred up from that admittedly difficult emet experience is now at the surface waiting for any old reason to pop up. So now you are seeing danger and exposure everywhere because you are so primed for it.

I think that you need to focus a whole lot on relaxing and on telling yourself that you are safe because you are. Candy bar wrappers and gnats -- please be kind enough to yourself as a person to allow yourself to calm down about this. These are not exposures at all. Tell yourself good things, and be kind to yourself. You are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by japa

lewisr -- Weren't you the person whose work had the sv going around it a few weeks ago, and you were really panicking about that? </font>

If that was you, I believe that the anxiety that got stirred up from that admittedly difficult emet experience is now at the surface waiting for any old reason to pop up. So now you are seeing danger and exposure everywhere because you are so primed for it. </font>

I think that you need to focus a whole lot on relaxing and on telling yourself that you are safe because you are. Candy bar wrappers and gnats -- please be kind enough to yourself as a person to allow yourself to calm down about this. These are not exposures at all. Tell yourself good things, and be kind to yourself. You are fine. </font>
    Yes, that sure was me and yes you are absolutely right. Indeed, it has been an exceedingly difficult time emet-wise and every little thing seems like a major catastrophe.

Thank you again for your reply and support... I really appreciate it.

Best,
    Lewis