Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay so i'm gonna tell my little story but if you just wanna get to the question it will be down below. Last night my daughter was running a slight fever because she has a cold. All we had for fever was some tylenol chewables that say they expired a month ago. I couldnt give her cold meds bc they make her really really hyper and i know she needs rest to get better. So last night she was up freaking out saying there were monsters in her room and my husband felt her head and got mad at me for not giving her meds and gave her two tylenol chewables. After the first one she was fine and after the second she v*. I was wanna add that i didnt freak out. I did leave the room and then i told myself "you can control how your body reacts to this" and came back and changed her clothes and chatted with her and tucked her back in.

Anyway..on to my question...when i was younger i remember taking tylenol chewables and after the first one always telling my mom that i was gonna v* if i took another....and usually did. Same with my brothers. Anyone else? Is it maybe the taste or something on an already n* tummy? I just found it weird that she did the same thing. I'm making hubby buy her some new fever meds today so no worries. Just wanted your opinion on the tylenol chewables.

Hmm, not sure about this. since I have a problem swallowing pills, I myself take Children's Tylenol chewables for slight fevers during menstrual cycles in both grape or cherry flavor and have never v*. I'm an emet. and I have to take about 4 to make up an adult dose. I've never taking it while queasy. If your daughter was queasy anything can provoke the v*. Could it possibly have been a coincidence? It's kinda like when we already have a sv and eat something from some fast food place. when the virus finally hits you, you get s* and you immediately think it was the last food you ate that was contaminated or expired or something when in fact it was the sv. I think she was just queasy. Fevers or headaches do cause the stomach to be a little upset in this way.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

I can remember as a child taking chewable aspirin, like an orange flavor. The memory of that taste still makes me gag! It could just be the taste. No matter how much you try to flavor medicine, it still tastes like medicine.

Did you say the tylenol chewables were expired a month ago? That's probly why she got sick, i hate expired things. Food, medicine, everything expired, not to be trusted.

I think this is fairly common in children. Recently my 3 year old had a high fever/body ache illness, and I gave her children's ibuprofen when she had very little in her tummy, and it caused her to v*. This was the only time she did it the whole illness, so I think it was just the combination of a high fever, which can cause queasiness, and the meds not agreeing with her.

I'm sure the fact that they were only expired by a month was not why she got sick. Generally expired painkillers only get less potent. I still can't swallow pills, and I remember about 2 years ago I took some chewable Advil and then discovered it was expired by more than a year! I had anxiety, but no nausea or vomiting.

Well as emets most of us are weird about expiration dates lol so that is why i didnt give her the meds...i knew her fever was not high....but my husband was mad that i was letting her fever go just because the meds were expired for a month...he said i was being selfish for whatever. He said there was nothing wrong with them. I'm sure they were fine or whatever but i do believe it was them that made her v*....i'm confident she would not have v*ed if he hadnt forced her to take them...It is probably how daffodil said...quesy stomach and the meds did not agree....she told me she was hungry right after v*ing lol! She has had no fever so far today....she still has her cold though. No v* of course. If she does start running one tonight she will NOTbe taking tylenol lol.

Oh wow, good to know Halfoverthefur! I always worry about expired meds. I'm even more worried about them than expired foods lol..[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]