Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay I'm planning on going back to school this fall. Here's my plan, well first I'm going to get my dad to pay for ONE class and if I pass that class and do well with it he said he would pay to help me become a nurse. I want to become a nurse because I feel like I would like to get into the medical profession. If I LIKE being a nurse then I'll take a job as one and use the money I generate to go onto med school. Now I know there are some Emet Nurses on the board and I'm just wondering how you handle it and everything. I know that becoming a nurse doesn't mean I HAVE to work at an ER, I can work at a private practice. I'm a little scared of going into this but it's something I REALLY want to do. My ultimate goal is to become a Psychiatrist. But anyway, how bad is it to be a nurse?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I'm not a nurse, but I'm curious about this, too. Anyone?

I know there are nurses on this board! I just want to be heard...or...EVERYONE WILL SUFFER! LoL Just kidding. Anyone have a reply to this topic?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Well- I'm not a nurse, but my boyfriend is.

First of all, the field of nursing is so broad that you can really choose to work in an area where vomit isn't necessarily commonplace- private practice, some psych wards (such as forensics), etc. One of the guys Chris went to school with is scared of blood! So, he now works in psych as opposed to emerg, surgery, etc., where the chances are you will have to come in contact with/see a large quantity of it.

Chris works in Intensive Care, where he does have to deal with patients who vomit quite often- however, it's very rare that it's due to something contagious. In fact, if someone is sick with some sort of virus or cold they are usually segregated to make sure that the other patients on the ward won't catch it, since most have compromised immune systems, or are so sick already that anything additional can be fatal.

Would it be of any comfort to know that it's not contagious, but due to pain, meds, infection, etc? That, and there is soap, purell, extra scrubs, etc. that are readily accessible and available. There is definite protocol to follow, and if it is of any comfort, it DOES work, since Chris hasn't caught anything from work yet. The only time he has been sick was when he caught something from me!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find nursing very rewarding. As far as being an emet while being a nurse it doesnt get in the way like you think. You will learn while in school that people v* for VARIOUS reasons. I guess I feel like it doesnt get in the way too much because I am only scared of contagious v*. Like stomach viruses. And when I take care of someone with a sv they are in isolation so you are very protected. Its not bad...nursing is a wonderful profession and it needs compassionate people to learn the profession.

You would be more prone to catch something from someone on the street than being a nurse...really. You know to take your precautions.

Good luck to you!Edited by: madisonsmom