Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know I haven't been here long, but I thought that if there was a general topic of things regarding SV's, it might help people relax a little more to read it if they weren't feeling too great. Here goes, you can fix whatever is here along the way.

First of all, SV's are only spread through direct contact with the germ! They do not spread through the air. It is spread through the saliva of sick people, and their feces. Your only concern is to keep your hands clean, and do not share utensils or cups/bottles with others!

Remember that it takes a lot to make the average person sick. If a small amount of the virus enters your system, it won't do anything. Maybe a small fever, max. Your body can kill those things very quickly, without you ever knowing. Its when you get mass and direct exposure, such as getting vomit on your hands, or kissing a sick person, etc., that you are at risk. So never fear! Plus, small exposure leaves you less vulnerable to getting really really sick later!

For food poisoning, your stomach has this special little ingredient called hydrochloric acid. My mantra is, "hydrochloric acid is good". Repeat it next time you think you're eating something iffy. It can kill small strains of the bacteria, so unless the food you're eating really is rotten, and not just a day or two over the expirey, there is no need to worry--your body is wired to handle these things!

Most of all remember that v* is just a natural reaction that your body has, and although all of us here are afraid of it (I'll be the first to admit it), its actually really positive. When we get sick, its a sign of fighting back, and its prevention of worse illness. One night of anxiety and discomfort is worth not having to go into the hospital for a week, right?

Keep in mind the BRAT diet-- Bananas, Rice (not white), Apple sauce, and Toast. If ever you feel icky, these are good sources to turn to, as well as soda crackers and ginger ale (we all know that one for sure!)

And finally, my never-been-wrong treatment for an upset tummy: a small slice of ginger root (you can get it at any grocery store for really cheap), disolved into a glass of luke warm water. It's never failed me before!

Is the virus present in urine, as well? And what is the deal with aerosol particles? Anyone know?

Wow thnx, this made my day lol...[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I really like reading such nice things coz I, like many other emets, constantly worry about SVs [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    Is the virus present in urine, as well? And what is the deal with aerosol particles? Anyone know?
    It would not be present in urine unless the urine came into contact with feces. I would imagine that a small amount of the germ would be present, but since SVs are illnesses of the intestine and not the blood stream, it will be more concentrated in your stool then in your pee.

As for aerosol particles, I have no idea! I've never heard of that before.

I have heard that if you are close to someone while they are v*, there can be particles that get in the air, and can make you sick. I don't know if this is true, though. I hope it's not, as I have kids, and it's kind of hard to keep my distance, as they are very little.

I have heard that too about the v* particles in the air. I have read that
    several times. Urine is sterile.

daffodil...I have read that too. that once the v* or d* is expelled...you can become infected from molecules...I think this is more true for things like Norwalk virus

Yes, urine is completely sterile - way cleaner than saliva!

And particles can be airborn in a mist, but you don't "breath" them out to other people. So being at work with someone who is sick, as long as you keep your hands clean and away from your face is safe as well
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's all just simply a matter of keeping your hands clean, and relaxing After all, in the big picture, worrying about V* of D* isn't that big of a deal at all! Just a bit scarey sometimes.

So, if someone, say a child, v* near you, or you are holding the basin for them (sorry to be so graphic) you are safe as long as you practice good hygeine, don't touch your face, wash, etc?

I really don't know...but if it makes you feel at all better...my little one has had the sv* at least 5 times and I (knock on wood) have not gotten it. even when she slept and v* in the same bed as me

theoretically, if you're very close when someone does it, there is like a "mist" that goes up into the air and contains millions of bacteria. Little particles might get on you if you're really close. But you still have to ingest them with a norovirus. I would think that following good hygeine at that moment would be tremendously benefical and make infection pretty unlikely.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Would you say that wearing a mask would make a difference?

Just imagine how close you would have to be to inhale that stuff though, if you were to just walk by a little pool of it, the chances of you breathing that in is close to nil. Even if your next to someone who does it, you'd pretty much have to be standing next to them, and even then, the germs need to find a way into your stomach. It doesnt pass like a cold virus[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

The best thing to do is to keep your hands and face clean. Thats the main way that you catch an SV, because the virus starts in your stomach--and then only way for it to get to your stomach is if you eat it!

If I was holding a basin for someone who had a noro-virus of some kind, I'd wear a mask. And I'm not afraid of anything...that's just common sense. But if I just happened to be near someone in a bus station that vomited next to me or something, I'd go wash my hands and face and then not worry about it one bit.

Here's another thing: If you walk by some vomit that someone vomited 20 minutes ago or whatever, then the mist is gone. It'snot concentrated in the air, and the vomit has settled into the ground and is stagnant. And you're walking by, so you've passed it in 2 seconds.

When I walk by vomit on the ground (which honestly is a pretty damn rare occurrence for me), I don't give it a second thought.

How do you know if it is norovirus?

i practice very good hygene but my only problem is i'm afraid to kiss my fiance because he isn't as careful about things as me. he doesn't wash his hands often and is always putting his hands near his face, and even my daughters face. he always shares drinks with her and it's to the point where i can't even be passionate with him because i'm afraid of getting sick! is it possible to kiss someone who's sick but hasn't shown syptoms yet, and be able to overcome getting the virus? if onlythere was an absolute YES to that answer, my life would be so much better. also, my daughter is only 2, and i can never tell when she is coming down with anything so i try to keep her as clean as possible, and i try not to share things with her, but i'm still in close contact with her EVERYDAY. i'm a stay at home mom, does that make my chances higher of catching it from her than everyone else who isn't around her that often? it's an absolute horror to be afraid of your own child, even when nothing is wrong with her..

It may be true of some, but the norovirus family is quite communicable. It takes only a small amount to infect a person. It also CAN be transmitted be aerosolized particles from an infected person. I don't think I need to go into much detail about where the particles would come from. Check Pubmed for more general info on the virus. I don't want to cause more panic, as all of us are already paranoid enough. A lot of doctors will tell you that it isn't easily transmitted, just to keep you from worrying. The fact remains that "stomach flu" which is a name commonly used for norwalk virus, is highly contagious, which is why it can spread so far so fast.

Laurend, I can completely identify with you. Our situations are very similar. My husband is not too big on handwashing, and it freaks me out.
    I can understand about looking at your child as a potential carrier of illness. I think like that every day, and I hate myself for it.
    Until recently, I had a nice, long mellow period with my emet. It was still there, but I could kiss my kids, and kiss my hubby, and I wasn't worried ALL the time. I don't know what happened.

The thing about norovirus (which is a general name for all "stomach" viruses) is that while it's highly contageous, it isn't easily contageous. There's a difference. Highly contageous means it only take about 10 spores to catch it from someone. However, it can only be tranmitted by oral-fecal means. So you can get it from feces or vomitus particles only. Although there is a mist when someone vomits, it's not an invisible or microscopic mist. So it doesn't fly through the air like a swarm of mosquitoes. Try dropping a cupful of orange sodapop from mouth level sometime and just see how far it sprays. That's what they're talking about.

Also, wiping your bum and not washing your hands can get particles on your hands which can be transmitted to food in restaurants, etc.

Good hygeine prevents the spread of the virus. If you're careful (not excessive) you just won't get it. It can't magically fly around and up your nose while you're not looking.

(I learned all this from my geeky son-in-law the pre-med microbiologist who's here studying for his exams!) We'll develop a sticky post when he's done.