Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I used to have big problems with eating cooked meals, but now I am fine (currently cooking a BBQ Chicken Pizza).

So what does everyone else normally eat throughout a regular day?

If anyone has any real big eating problems talk to me, I built my way back up through eating vegatable meals and finally back to meat.

I eat anything and everything. My husband and I are starting to eat more healthy. We hardly have any junk food in the house, which sucks, but I will pick some junk food up during the week. I only end up eating it. We're going to start eating more fresh vegetables, different types of potatoes (cooking them differently), steaks, a lot of eggs for breakfast. He wants to eat this way b/c he's a bodybuilder, but I love the food. We had some great chicken he made last night for dinner. I keep rambling on about food b/c I'm hungary right now, but really need to go to the store. Not much here now.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I dont eat reguraly.

I dont eat breakfast at all.

I go sometimes to school in morning, and sometimes later.

I dont take anything in my mouth since 3-4PM or later! I like to eat most of things, but not like some that can be easily spoiled. Dont like fish and sea food because I am not sure is it fresh, and mushrooms are they ok. Like toeat at my home.

im finding eating hard at the mo ..... the most im eating at the mo is toast .. bananas and silly things like that [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

For quite awhile now my diet consists of peanut butter sandwiches and potato chips. If I dare to eat anything else (definitely not meat) then I am REALLY afraid for at least a day and usually wake up in the middle of the night with panic attacks. I know it's not a healthy way ofeating, but right now I'd rather be unhealthy than v*

I have gone thru phases in the past where all ive eaten is pasta, toast, sandwiches and plain stuff.

I try to basically eat whatever I fancy now, whether its pizza (I luuuuurrrrvvvveeee pizza) pasta, mexican, indian etc. However I must say that most of this I cook and eat at home. I do go out but usually to places where Ive been to eatmany times before. I try and live by the philosophy "if I get ill I get ill" but fail miserably!!!

I too donteat breakfast, this started when I was about 15, I hate milk with a passion so went right off cereal. Now I tned to have a bag of crisps about 9.30 to 10am, terribly unhealthy I know but I like them!!!

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

<<<I know it's not a healthy way ofeating, but right now I'd rather be unhealthy than v*>>>

Evaluate this statement for a second. Being unhealthy will actually make it more likely that you will vomit. Your body is like a car- without the proper fuel it won't run properly. If you don't give your body the proper nutrition, it won't run properly- which includes fighting off illness. A healthy body has a much betterchance of fighting off viruses or any other sort of illness that may involve vomitting than an unhealthy body.

Sherbear- are you in therapy of some sort? I'm really concerned for what you are doing to your body. Potato chips have virtually no nutritional value- and peanut butter, while good for you, is not nearly enough. What about fruits, vegetables, pre-cooked vegetarian options? I have been a vegetarian for 13 years now (completely not related to being an emetophobic), and there are a lot of soy-based options which are already cooked and carry very little risk of food poisoning.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yes i never looked at it that way !!

thank you i'll remeber that

Amber-

Currently, I am not in therapy....The last time I tried that the psychologist actually laughed at me.

Logically, I completely understand the whole eating and being healthier thing. I know that taking better care of myself will lead to my immune system being stronger, which will make the liklihood of my getting sick even lesser, etc..... but this stupid fear is so not logical. I hate it. On the rare occasion that I do eat, I'm usually in h*** for the day. It's such a catch 22. I feel like s*** if I don't eat right and I feel like s*** if I do.

I'm a guy, and like I said my eating is fine these days (just at some curried mince with rice/chips), but some of you sound like you need to eat more.

It's scary to eat things other than your use to, I know. It's like your just increasing the chances that you'll eat something bad and V*. Be Brave, and try other things! I mean really, foods like vegatable curry/lasange, eggs,fruit etc is not going to make you ill in any shape or form.

The hard part is getting use to eating more, but I bet you'll feel ten times better if you just start off with smaller portions.

Don't feel that when eating is concerned your options should be so limited. Just check sell by dates, smell meat and you'll be cool.Edited by: jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear

Amber-

Currently, I am not in therapy....The last time I tried that the psychologist actually laughed at me.

Logically, I completely understand the whole eating and being healthier thing. I know that taking better care of myself will lead to my immune system being stronger, which will make the liklihood of my getting sick even lesser, etc..... but this stupid fear is so not logical. I hate it. On the rare occasion that I do eat, I'm usually in h*** for the day. It's such a catch 22. I feel like s*** if I don't eat right and I feel like s*** if I do.

Thenperhapsit's time to get a new psychologist. Just like any other field, there are people who are good at their job, and people who don't deserve to be there. One bad experience shouldn't make you not consider trying again- psychologists are kind of like men- you have to date a few of them before you find one you like. especially in regards to this phobie- not all have experience in dealing with phobias, and may not know what to do. A good psychologist can't do the work for you- but they can give you the tools you need to beat this thing.

Yes, this phobia is not logical- but what cognitive-behavioural therapy can do is reprogram your brain in the way that you view vomitting, food, and illness and help to dispel some of the 'thinking errors' that this phobia results from. Instead of thinking "oh god, this will make me sick" everytime you eat something you don't normally do, you will essentially re-train your brain to view food as nourishment to the body. This is really an over-simplistic explanation, but if you check out the stickies at the top of the treatment forum you will find something more detailed.

Yes, if you eat something 'abnormal' for you, you may feel anxious/sick for a day- but if you feel sick anyway because you don't eat right what's the difference? Perhaps if you start introducing new things (especially fruits and vegetables) regularly, after awhile you won't fear being sick from them. For instance, if you force yourself to eat an apple everyday- you may feel anxious for the first few days, but after a week has gone by and you haven't been sick, you probably won't consider that food as unsafe anymore.

Yep, this phobia really sucks. BUT- you don't want to get yourself in a rut where you view it as inevitable and unwavering, when it is 100% possible to beat it.

Goodluck!

*amber*

Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have serious eating issues, enough to be classified as an eating disorder (have yet to have a psychiatrist dx me, but I have not seen one about my eating issues yet).

I rotate foods around, literally... Last week I ate 2 jars of pickles and went through a package of pre-sliced cheese, a loaf of bread, and 3/4 small jar of real mayonaise -- I also ate more candy than a healthy person should eat in a period of 2 months! A couple of weeks ago all I was eating was pb&j, but then I went most of the week before last without eating anything.

I have no clue what a normal person is supposed to eat. I am so petrified of V* and becoming fat that my entire life revolves around food.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Thanks Amber! In the midst of all this it's hard to see things clearly sometimes. I truly appreciate your (and everone else's) concern!

This year I finally got insurance through my husband's job. He's been researching therapists/psychologists on his plan. He found one who specializes in phobias/panic attacks and a few other areas that I really need help in. The only problem with this is that her office is about an hour and half away and right now I'm quite agoraphobic. It seems like it's always one thing or another.

I'm really not such a gloomy gus all the time![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks again!!! Sheri

I eat pretty normal. I made awsome chicken alfrado last night. I won't eat really anything after 7pm just in case I wake up and v*. Eating during the day feels safer to me.
    *TO EACH THEIR OWN*

Hey guys, Im going to bore you with a long list of my top 10"safe" healthy food, since I think we could use it. Right now Im pretty good to eat anything except fast food but I still get a little nervous eating out and tend to overcook everything. :P

Anyways, here is my list in order from most often eaten...

1.Oatmeal and/or cream of wheat,

2.Bananas,

3. Yogurt,

4. Fruits in which I can discard thepeelings, (kiwis apples etc.,)

5.Wholewheat Pastawith either my dads spagetti sauce, cheese or just the bottled meatlesssauce,

6.Whole Wheat Toast,

7.Peanut butter and banana sandwiches and alterations of that,

8.EGGS! uber cooked of course

9.Pretty much any meat that I know has been throughly cooked (oh, and I once accidently ate a few bites of undercooked chicken and nothing even happened so dont panic too much.)

10. Muiltivitamins :P

Oh and please dont tell me something isn't safe because everything has its risks but I'd rathernot startobsessing over it.

Anyways keep that immune system up, keep eating!

What i was eating and drinking 4 rich tea biscuits and tea, then afternoon 2 rich tea biscuits and tea. But now im focusing on eating again so i can have an immune system as i want to be a porter in the hospital. Now i've neen eating toast, cereals and things like the past few days.

I eat anything and everything I cook myself at home- this includes
    seafood. Fast food makes me nervous so I don't eat it too much. I eat
    normally at restaraunts but then worry about it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by xroofusx
    What i was eating and drinking 4 rich tea biscuits and tea, then afternoon 2 rich tea biscuits and tea. But now im focusing on eating again so i can have an immune system as i want to be a porter in the hospital. Now i've neen eating toast, cereals and things like the past few days.

COngrats roofus- glad that you are starting to eat semi-normally again. Although you may feel kind of sick for the next little while (your stomach may not be used to certain foods/eating more than usual), in the longrun you will feel SO much better; more energy, stronger, etc. Have you tried bananas, melon, and strawberries? Of fruits I find those the easiest on the stomach- not to mention they taste the best [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

QUestion- what is a porter in a hospital? Would that be comparable to an orderly in North America? Jus' curious!

*amber*

Thank you , yeahit has made e preety sick, but i think im going to have to go through that to get over the fear of eating so im just sticking to things like bread, potato's, banana's and rice and things and some fish once in a while. thanks for the suggestions on fruits . A porter is someone who like take's patients down to operations and such on wheelchairs and taking medicene from place to place.

I suppose everyone has there like safe foods. Like mine was rich tea biscuits and before in the day i would eat:

Tea +2 biscuits

2 bits of thick toast with marmite

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Thats what i used to eat, then i went down to other things like 6 biscuits and a fish finger sandwhich a day, but then that went down to having just rich tea biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by xroofusx
    I suppose everyone has there like safe foods. Like mine was rich tea biscuits and before in the day i would eat:

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Tea +2 biscuits

Thats what i used to eat, then i went down to other things like 6 biscuits and a fish finger sandwhich a day, but then that went down to having just rich tea biscuits.

Having an eating disorder PLUS emet is a bad combination.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I have some problems with my eating but not as much as some people, it seems.

First off, I'm vegetarian. I will have things like eggs (though I won't go near fried/scrambled/boiled eggs - omelettes are fine though as long as they're REALLY well cooked - and sometimes I can manage egg sandwiches and sometimes I can't, depends heavily on the look of it!) and dairy, but meat and fish is a no.

Secondly, deserts/sweet foods are a problem. I won't eat cake (this actually makes me v* if I eat it), donuts, muffins, cookies, jelly/jelly sweets (ties in with the vegetarianism/meat problems), cream, anything whipped cream/moose-like in texture (yogurts fine, though), and revels (JUST that kind of chocolate, heh)

REALLY greasy foods are a problem. I can manage pizza NO problem, but chips are iffy depending on how greasy they are, and I can't manage a lot of types of crisps.

As for soft drinks, I can't really drink anything apart from diet coke/pepsi - I'll drink orangeade/appleade if I'm pushed but not much. Lemonade and Irn Bru I WON'T touch (probably the only Computer Scientist in Scotland who can't stand irn bru). It's all to do with the fact I was a bad traveller when I was little and my mother used to take fizzy drinks for us to have in the car...

Also cereal. At the start of last year I ate a lot of cereal and porridge - it was one of my main "safe foods" and is so quick and easy it suited me down to the ground - then I got ill and now all I can really manage is cheerios and fruit and fibre.

I've always had a varying list of "safe foods" I'll live off - though anything vegetarian/not containing one of my "fear foods" that my mother cooks is generally regarded as safe even if it's not on the list - things like egg fried rice, noodles, cheese on toast, veggie burgers, pizza, vegetarian pasta. Mainly wheat-based/vegetable foods.

Eating out is a problem too, but only because it's so hard to get something that's not one of my "fear foods" I generally end up having something I don't like much and feel very uncomfortable and stressed about the whole deal...

I used to be eating disordered, too, sometimes slip back into the whole starving/binging cycle. It's a pain in the ass.

Edited by: roulette

Roulette - your eating patterns are still disordered (to some degree). I have a list like you do, but longer... and I am a sweets finatic! Your eating also sounds like you only eat "healthy foods", which is now becoming a newer classification of eating disorders called orthorexia nervosa (not formally recognized yet).
    FACEBOOK ME --

I wouldn't classify it as orthorexia as I still eat unhealthy foods such as pizza (the fast-food type when your too drunk to care and is LOADED with ooey gooey melted cheese), I'm a total chocolate junkie, and have a rather unhealthy caffiene habit. I also don't have the bad food -> punishment mindset, and am actually slightly overweight rather than underweight.

I don't focus on the qaulity of what I'm eating and I also am not OBSESSED with food - I just have my "fear foods" I'll stay WELL clear off, but that's second nature now, to be honest. It doesn't interfere with my social life, other than not being able to eat out.

I'm aware my eating is still disordered but it's more ordered than it's been for a long, long time.

Edited by: roulette

Quote Originally Posted by roulette
    I wouldn't classify it as orthorexia as I still eat unhealthy foods such as pizza (the fast-food type when your too drunk to care and is LOADED with ooey gooey melted cheese), I'm a total chocolate junkie, and have a rather unhealthy caffiene habit. I also don't have the bad food -> punishment mindset, and am actually slightly overweight rather than underweight.

I don't focus on the qaulity of what I'm eating and I also am not OBSESSED with food - I just have my "fear foods" I'll stay WELL clear off, but that's second nature now, to be honest. It doesn't interfere with my social life, other than not being able to eat out.

I'm aware my eating is still disordered but it's more ordered than it's been for a long, long time.

Pizza is actually well-rounded and can be healthy, when prepared correctly. I like healthy pizza! Tons of veggies

I'm glad your eating has gotten better and I'm even happier that you are able to notice personal improvement. I want mine to, but I just don't know how to get my eating habits better without totally losing it mentally.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher
    Pizza is actually well-rounded and can be healthy, when prepared correctly. I like healthy pizza! Tons of veggies
    I'll agree, healthy pizza is FANTASTIC. Tesco's does one hell of a great spinich and ricotta pizza (their "Italian" foods, you can currently get two of those pizzas for £5), it's sooooo yummy.

But I'll also eat the not-so-well-rounded, loaded-with-crap pizzas they serve out the chippy quite happily...

Quote Originally Posted by roulette
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher
    I'll agree, healthy pizza is FANTASTIC. Tesco's does one hell of a great spinich and ricotta pizza (their "Italian" foods, you can currently get two of those pizzas for £5), it's sooooo yummy.

But I'll also eat the not-so-well-rounded, loaded-with-crap pizzas they serve out the chippy quite happily...

I am a candy-a-holic!! I will eat nothing but candy for 2-3 days because I get too scared to eat "real food". I love fruity, chewy, gummy candies! My family loves to make fun of me because I *rotate* foods around and go on really weird food cravings and combinations (pickles was on the list for last week and this week, nothing is really appetizing).
    FACEBOOK ME --

I eat pretty much anything that I can. I am lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive and have IBS, o I should be way more careful than I am. But I love food. I am a total foodie and I love to cook and experiment. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

But I do go through cycles where I fixate on what I am eating flavor, spice, and texture wise in the most horrid event that I may become n*. There are times where I will go days only eating white rice, potatoes, bananas, and gatorade evenv though I might be feeling fine.

Weird...but hey, I am an emet.

sherbear,

Could you elaborate on the situation that occurred when the psychologist laughed at you? What did you say? What did he/she say?

I'm really wondering how someone can call him/herself a psychologist and then react in this way to someone with a problem.

I would look into where I should file a complaint about the person.

Anyway, as amber said, this shouldn't put you off other psychologists. I would say that one laughing at you has to be an extreme situation that wouldn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear

Amber-

japa-

I was referred to a counselor by my doctor. After a couple of visits w/her she made an appt. for me to see the staff psychologist. (She felt I needed to be put on medication and couldn't write prescriptions.) Anyway, during our first (and only meeting) I was very open about my fear. I told him that I was very afraid of v*ing. As soon as the words left my mouth he laughed, well, chuckled really. Smiling, he then asked what I did when I had to v*. I told him I put my fingers in my ears, close my eyes, and freak out. I have no idea why he found this amusing. I was really embarassed and our meeting ended soon after that.

He did ask about body image, etc. before I left. Honestly, I think that he thought I had an eating disorder. Although, I was adament about the fact that I don't have a problem with my weight.