Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: kids and emet

I saw this brought up in another thread, and thought I'd start a thread on it. For those of you with kids, do you worry that they will become emet because of how you react, or because of some hereditary reason? I am. There is depression and OCD in my family already, and I worry about that.
    When there has been stomach illness with my kids, I try so hard to be calm and reassuring, and act like it's no big deal, tho inside I am freaking out. I am just really hoping I don't pass this fear on to my girls, because it is the worst.

welll i am the same my youngest is sick quite easily although usually on daddy but the eldest has never v* and i wonder sometimes if it will scare him if he does i do not want him to be like me

I'm the only emet in my family, so I didn't inherit it. I've always been very, very careful not to show my fears to my sons and so far, there's no sign they have it. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

I am emet, so is my sister and her 14 yr old daughter. I have two kids, my youngest v* alot and is very matter of fact about it. My son has a worrying obsession with it which I am sure is bordering on emet. However, the last time he was ill he did say that it was one of his worst nightmares that he now feels he has conquered. I am so pleased for him though I feel I need more evidence before I believe he's over this. He's still a fussy eater and washes his hands alot.

I believe there is some heriditary link though I can't be sure. I hate it when my kids v* but I have never shown any panic in front of them. I can't rule out learned behaviour though as who knows how kids interpret their parents' reactions to things.