Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi Everyone!

It's been quite a while since I've been here, I have been doing much
    better since I've been gone, I hope you all are doing good too.

I was told something recently that interested me very much, my friend
    had her gallbladder removed and told me that because of not having it
    anymore, she can no longer v*, she is unable to because of the
    gallbladder.

I have been trying to do research on my own on the internet about it,
    but it does not mention anywhere that once you have it removed you will
    not v*, I guess it's not something that would be mentionned as an
    effect, so what I'd like to know from you guys is; Have any of you
    heard about this? Or is my friend just wrong?

I'm really curious and if this would be accurate, I'd definitely want
    to consider removing mine as well, wouldn't you? I'm "fed up" enough to
    do anything for this fear.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sonia

</span></font></span></span>
    Edited by: terified girl

That is interesting, but I don't think that having an internal organ removed is a good way to fight this phobia-lol! It is strange though. I don't see what a gall bladder does for vomiting, thoughI'm sure someone will know the answer! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Now that is something i have never heard of....I had my gall bladder out in 1991....and i can say that i haven't v since then....but then again, i have been very very very close to it so I don't know how accurate that is. That would be wonderful if it were true.....but i just don't know if i believe that. Even though i haven't v since then, i have been so close that i just knew i would do it. Let me know if you find any more info on this.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I that were true, I would probably do it. I hope someone can give an answer on this. Terrified Girl- if you don't mind my asking, why was your friend's gall bladder out?

I dont see how this would be possible. vomiting is controlled by the hypothalamus inyour brain, not your gallbladder. I think your friend has been misinformed.

I found this on the net and Im thinking she has gotten confused:

"Nausea and vomiting have many possible causes, and are not always related to disease of the gastro-intestinal tract. Sometimes no cause can be found for vomiting. Vomiting is induced in the brain in a specific location in the hypothalamus, called the vomiting centre.

The vomiting centre can be stimulated by:
    <UL>
    <LI>Psychological problems, when it is referred to as psychogenic or functional nausea and vomiting
    <LI>Severe pain or shock
    <LI>Unpleasant smells or pictures
    <LI>Disturbances in the inner ear in conditions such as altitude sickness, Meniere’s disease, motion sickness and labyrinthitis. Sometimes middle-ear infection in children can cause vomiting, but then it is caused by an irritated nerve that runs through the middle ear
    <LI>Diseases of the internal organs (viscera):
    <UL>
    <LI>Gastro-i
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=290 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD class=sml_arial height=10></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">
    < = src="http://e.as-eu.falkag.net/dat/cjf/00/18/42/27.js" =text/>
    </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD class=sml_arial align=right height=10>Advertisement</TD></TR></T></TABLE>ntestinal disease such as gastritis, peptic ulcer, stomach cancer, gut obstruction, appendicitis and mesenteric adenitis
    <LI>Disease of the liver or gallbladder such as cholecystitis, hepatitis and cirrhosis ....."</LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]

the list goes on from here. because the gallbladder can trigger the vomiting center in the hypothalamus, it may elimate a possible trigger, but there are many other triggers.

more info at : http://www.health24.com/medical/Head...78-781,11868.a spEdited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I agree with babydoll. Plus I have a friend who had hers out in 2001, and she has vomited since having it out.

And no, don't get an internal organ removed to cure a phobia --- not a good idea.

I had my gallbladder taken out 6 years ago and I've v* since. Whoever told her that was very mistaken. There is a surgical procedure that can be done for sever acid reflux disease where they close the flap to the stomach permanently so the person cannot phsycially v*. However, even though its a great thought, the problem for them is they can't v* in case of food poisoning where the body needs to get rid of the toxins.
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

I feel better now because now I know the truth.

Daffodil: My friend had hers removed because it was causing her extreme
    pain and it was making her very ill. She had no choice but to remove it.

You see, for me this sounded so good because I am ready to have a baby
    and I really want a baby but I can't have one because I am so afraid of
    the morning sickness and all that and even when my child grows up to
    get sick as well.

This is why I wanted this to be true so much. Oh well, the world will have one less life to live.

But thanks again for all your replies!

Sonia

</span></font></span>

Quote Originally Posted by terified girl
    You see, for me this sounded so good because I am ready to have a baby and I really want a baby but I can't have one because I am so afraid of the morning sickness and all that and even when my child grows up to get sick as well.
    This is why I wanted this to be true so much. Oh well, the world will have one less life to live.

are you saying that this would stop you from getting pregnant? don't let emet take yet another pleasure away from you.... there is a good possibility that you won't experience any morning sickness at all - there are MANY techniques you can use - there are alot of emet moms on here, most of whom have had no trouble with vomiting while being pregnant.

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Terified Girl, I don't know if it will make you feel any brtter, but I have 2 kids, and never v* with either pregnancy.

Thank
    you Babydoll &amp; Daffodil for your kind advice, but I am just too
    afraid. I've heard it from alot of people who told me that not everyone
    gets sick and so on but I cannot take that chance.

Can I tell you guys about a dream I had about 6 months ago? It won't take too long.

I dreampt that I was pregnant and I was crying hysterically because I
    was so happy. I was sharing the wonderful news with everyone and then
    all of a sudden my dream got ugly. I remember that I woke up and I told
    myself that I couldn't get out of bed because this way I wouldn't be
    sick, and I had to call my work and quit right on the spot because I
    had to lie on my back for the next 3 months. I was so scared in my
    dream because I thought I was going to have morning sickness that when
    I really woke up, I was so sad because the dream was true, if I were
    ever to get pregnant my life would be over for the first few months or
    to my horror for 9 months and I cannot live that way. I will say that
    the dream felt so real because I could even remember touching my belly
    and feeling different inside and when I woke up I was feeling such a
    loss, I was depressed for the rest of the day. Freaky, eh?

Sorry it was so long!!!

</span></span></font></span>

well, it is your decision, but it sounds like being pregnant without being sick would be a dream come true, and I hate seeing emet standing in the way of that. do you want to try to get to the point where you would be willing to take that chance?

I would love to get to that point Babydoll, but I just don't see how.

I know emet ruins alot for us, it is sad, but it's true and I just have to live with that.

I know emet ruins alot for us, it is sad, but it's true and I just have to live with that.

thats not true! You don't have to live with it, its something that can be treated if you're willing to do the work and want to get over the phobia.

don't just give up! thats what we are all here for, to support each other in getting over this phobia.

I remember that the last time you posted you were doing serious exposure therapy. What happened with that?

I would love to get to that point Babydoll, but I just don't see how.

It didn't work for me, we did about 15 sessions and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with it.

That's why I feel hopeless, because I've tried all kinds of therapy,
    and I cannot keep wasting my money on people who can't help me. They
    say it could take years before you find the right therapist, I can't
    afford that.

Terified Girl, it's going to take longer than 15 sessions to get rid of this phobia. I've been in therapy for just over 2 years, and have just started working exclusively on the emet and exposure therapy in Octoboer of 2005. I am NOT yet cured, but I have noticed a big difference. I can now say that I would rather vomit than die, but the thought of vomiting still scares me. Just going to therapy isnt enough, though. I do my exposure therapy at least 5 days per week at home, and sometimes more, when I can find the time. It's all the hard work you put in outside of the therapy sessions that's going to get you cured.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Yeah, it's exactly what kel said. Exposure therapy could even take a few years to cure you completely. 15 sessions is absolutely nothing, not to mention you need to work on the exposure every day at home as well.

There is no way that anyone would feel like he/she was getting much in such a short time. You need to keep working and working at the exposure or at any type of therapy, and on a daily or weekly basis, it's not as though you are going to detect some huge change. It's a gradual change that occurs over an extended length of time. It's a matter of realizing one day, "Oh, a year and a half ago, I would have reacted so much differently to *whatever it is*" That's when you realize that you have changed for the better. You won't be able to say after two weeks, or even 15 weeks, "Oh, I'm all better" or even "Oh, I really see an improvement." That's just not the nature of therapy, and I know because I have been in therapy for depression and self hatred, and I have done a lot of reading about therapy. I never went to therapy for emet though, so I can't really speak to exposure from personal experience, but just about how any kind of therapy works.

And so, this is at the risk of sounding harsh, but I really feel like it's true: You can't say that exposure therapy did not work for you because essentially you nevertrulydid it. So, you haven't really tried to be cured yet, which means that there is no way that you should give up hope and resign yourself to having the phobia and to not having kids.

Like kel did, you can go to see the interns whose fees are cheaper. You do exposure with pictures and sounds at home, and then you go talk to the therapist about how you felt while doing the exposure.

Edited to be nicer (sorry!)

It didn't work for me, we did about 15 sessions and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with it.
    That's why I feel hopeless, because I've tried all kinds of therapy, and I cannot keep wasting my money on people who can't help me. They say it could take years before you find the right therapist, I can't afford that.
    Edited by: japa

My sister had her gallbladder removed back in the 70's and she has v*d twice sonce then that I know of. Kim

Quote Originally Posted by babygap5

I had my gallbladder taken out 6 years ago and I've v* since. Whoever told her that was very mistaken. There is a surgical procedure that can be done for sever acid reflux disease where they close the flap to the stomach permanently so the person cannot phsycially v*. However, even though its a great thought, the problem for them is they can't v* in case of food poisoning where the body needs to get rid of the toxins.

I just want to say that I read somewhere that even when you HAVE food poisoning and you V* it has nothing to do with getting toxins out of your system. By the time you are poisoned that much the food has already reached your lower intestine and v*ing is useless...I may be misinformed though. Also I'm seriously considering getting that operation, not because I'll never be able to V* again but because I have SEVERE acid reflux.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Not true, my mom had her gallbladder taken out a while ago, and she still v*.

Monica- it really does depend on what type of food poisoning. Certain bacteria will only make itself known once the food has already been processed by your system, in which case vomitting really won't accomplish much. Sometimes, these types of food poisoning (such as e.coli) will manifest itself more from the lower end (severe diarrhea).

However, in the cases where the food is still in the system, it is in your best interest to get it out as quickly and directly as possible- the oral route.

Here is some info:

<TABLE cellSpacing=3>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD class=subhist width=451>Vomitting
    </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD class=class vAlign=top align=left width=451>
    Description
    Sometimes food is eaten that contains food-poisoning organisms or causes irritation to the stomach. If this happens, the best course of action is to remove it from the stomach by vomitting. The vomit control centre stimulates the the diaphragm and muscles in the abdomen to contract and push the stomach contents back out through the mouth.

The medical term for vomitting is emesis. There are many other slang terms for 'being sick' or 'throwing up'.

</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD class=class vAlign=top align=left width=451>

Causes
    Vomitting is desirable if the food in the stomach is likely to cause food poisoning or damage the lining of the digestive system. In these cases it is better that the stomach contents are prevented from passing down into the small intestines.
    </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://www.schoolscience.co.uk/conte...gy/abpi/digest ion/digest7.html

Hope this helps-

*amber*

I am sorry to hear that you will not have children b/c of the CHANCE of m/s. I KNOW I will get it (I had it with my son) and am planning on trying to get pregnant in September. I am scared, but I know they are worth it.

PS...the emet part of you goes away after a while with m/s!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Crystalmom,
    m/s doesn't always happen. You might have had it with the first and you
    may get it again or you may have a wonderful m/s free pregnancy.

</span></font>

whatever you decide.. make sure you can make that decison and know you'll still be happy with it when you are past the point where children are an option.

I think you might look back on your decision one day with regret, because it sounds like you want children badly, but your letting emet stand in the way.

personally, I know when the time comes for me to be pregnant, I will be scared, but no matter what happens, the end result will be worth it.Edited by: Babydoll

Thank
    you Babydoll. I know that and am dealing with those thoughts, it's very
    hard for me but I'm trying to deal with it as best as I can.

</span></font>

Okay, so I've had two boys, never vomited with either and only felt 'seedy' for a month or two. Most manageable. I can appreciate that you are terrified at the possibliity for m/s whilst pregnant, however, it is very sad that you will let your emets fulfill a desire of having your own child.

My kids help with my emet. When they are sick and no one else is around, you put all your fears aside and you nurse them, it's your natural instinct.

I hope everything works out for the best for you.