Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay, I can't handle it when I "vurp" (V*-burp). I had a bad incident yesterday with one and I really thought I was going to V*. My stomach started doing things I had never felt it do before and I went into automatic before I was finally able to stop IT from happening. I found myself unable to burp and when I was finally able to burp, air didn't come up. It was awful. I didn't end up V*, but I really think I experienced TRUE NAUSEA after the vurp because my body did things completely out of my control and I felt like I was just hanging on for the ride.

It took my stomach over an hour to finally return to a "calm enough state" for me to function. I think it was because of the enormous amout of stress that I'm under right now combined with too much chocolate (I have SEVERE reflux!). I have been told that V* can result from reflux (by doctors and nurses), so I am just wondering if it will be a matter of time before my refux gets THAT bad.

I really do want to beat this phobia and I was so tempted yesterday to just make myself sick after the vurp so the pain would go away. I didn't go through with it because I had consumed my "safe foods" and was terrified of how V* my safe foods would impact me.

How does everyone else respond to "vurping"?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have hadsevere reflux for almost 20 years, and I have never vomited from it. My mother has, however. I hate those "vurps." They make me pretty nervous, too. They don't happen too often, Thank God! My husband has these just horrible! He really needs to go to the doctor and get on medication like I take (Prevacid). Also, making yourself sick may not cure you. I have had two stomach viruses in the last six years and vomited with both of them, and it definitely did not cure me! I think I'm more scared now because I went for nearly 20 years without getting sick, and now I can't seem to "fight" it.

Hey. Awww im sorry that happened, i know how you feel, its not always a vurp i get its more just the taste of food i've had in the day i taste in the back of my mouth sometimes. When i had acid reflux once i got taken to hospital as it made me v* and my stomach was in pain as i didn't have much in it so it hurt and i got taken to hospital for an antiemetic to stop me heaving. I then got prescribed antiacids, i take one every morning to stop it and since i've been taking them when i eat i don't get the reflux, my mum has to have the same ones and she had it really bad and they help her stop feeling n* and acidy. There called Lansoprazole (gastro-resistant tablets) i found they really help. Do you take antiacids to help it??

xx

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been on so many meds for acid reflux and it is still horrible. Anyone have any success drugs.. I wonder if my nausea that is so constant, would go away if i found something to stop the burning

Nexium is the best med I have ever tried. It was so strong, I only needed it every day and a half. I currently take Prevacid because I want to save Nexium for down the road if my reflux worsens.

Lansoprazole worked for me and stopped me v* when i had acid reflux, same with my mum if she didn't take them she would be up half the night wanting to v* as it made her feel so n*.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

I just eat something to kill the taste

i was on somac for a while but it made me very nauseous... then i switched to nexium and it was AWESOME... realy great stuf.. give it a go!!
    stef - everything happens for a reason

over the counter Gaviscon really works well for me.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I know if I cut the excessive caffeine and chocolate out of my diet that I would benefit --- but right now, chocolate makes me happy and caffeine keeps me awake.

I'm bad... yes... I'm bad and I vurp as a result [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    FACEBOOK ME --

Have you tried rennie's?? they have those rennie soft chews, i found that when i used to get acid in the night and not be able to sleep i would have one and it would help, plus they taste really nice..lol.

xx

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

I'm on nexium but I have horrible reflux and a hiatal hernia so A LOT of the time food will come back up my throat but I've gotten SO used to it that I just swallow and it goes away. But Nexium is the best for heart burn, when I'm on it I NEVER get heartburn! If I'm off it for only 2 days my heartburn is KILLER! Also, when I was off my nexium I took prilosec (That's over the counter) and that REALLY helped me too.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Vurping isn't really vomiting. It's just wet burping. It is impossible for something to come out of your mouth on a wet burp alone. It would have to stop in your throat and then be spit out. On the other hand, vomit comes straight out on the force of the diaphragm and abdominal muscles with everything wide open all the way up.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

Vurping isn't really vomiting. It's just wet burping. It is impossible for something to come out of your mouth on a wet burp alone. It would have to stop in your throat and then be spit out. On the other hand, vomit comes straight out on the force of the diaphragm and abdominal muscles with everything wide open all the way up.

Doug

I have always associated burping with vomiting. I know the association isn't 100% medically pure or valid, but to me it is.

Vurping, vomiting, and acid reflux all taste terrible! Ugh...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I've never noticed wet burps or acid reflux to have much taste at all. It's a good idea to rinse your mouth afterward because there is stomach acid present, which is bad for your teeth. You might not be aware of it because it has no taste. If you try rubbing your back teeth together, you would notice a different feeling from when there is no acid back there.

The dreaded vomit, on the other hand, contains material from the small intestine, including the horrible smelling and tasting butyric acid. Yes, THAT smell and taste.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Ooooooh, yucko. I hate vurps, as you call them. I don't suffer with reflux myself but my kids do and always have done since they were babies. I freak out when my boys come up and say, oh yuck, I just burped and swallowed sick. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I can imagine how that would have made you feel. I'm wondering if that is what was wrong with my husband as he was sick this morning and hadn't had any nausea prior to going to bed, just woke up and v*. He had complained of heartburn so I wonder if this is what caused it?? Wishful thinking I suppose.

Maybe you need to make like a food diary and note down what you have eaten and how bad your reflux is on a particular day so you can find the food trigger??

Good luck