Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok, so Im freaking out now...need to know if a coworker has sv* or food poisoning...it started about an hour after she ate a sub, and v* one time, and now has d*. She said she has severe stomach cramping. Im so scared Im going to get it. Please, someone tell me what you think it might be. She is in good spirits and is at work. HELP!!!!

There really is no way to tell unless you go in to the doctor and they test a stool sample. It sounds like food poisoning, but those symptoms can also be indicative of a stomach virus, so you really can't tell.

Food poisoning can also be contagious- BUT, as with viruses, as long as you wash your hands, don't come in contact with their fecal matter, or aren't in direct contact with their vomit as they are doing it (and don't wash afterwards), you will likely be fine. As long as you are up to par with your own hygiene- and don't make a habit of touching your eyes, nose, or putting your fingers in your mouth, you seriously cut down on the likelihood of catching anything.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

V* so soon after eating could easily mean FP, but maybe she ate because her stomach was hurting and knew it would be better to V* with something on her stomach than just plain acid.

The fact she is in good spirits is a great sign though. If she isn't really bothered by it, then I wouldn't worry much. It could easily have been something she ate earlier in the day or something she ate last night.

Ask her if she needs a Sprite/ 7UP or some crackers - maybe a sports drink. Maybe you could pick some up for her on your break? It would mean a lot to her to know you care and it would also be something you could do to help her... Maybe you could pick something up for her at a drugstore or offer her any anti-emetic you carry with you. I did this one time for a friend of mine who was V* because I felt so helpless and so embarrassed because I couldn't stay with her, but at least she knew I cared for her and was doing the best I could under the circumstances.

Do keep us posted.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know when I have come down with a stomach virus, I usually don't have much of an appetite. So if she ate a sub only an hour before she got sick, I would tend to believe it could have been the sub. Was it from Subway? Subway always makes me feel sick!

The sub was from Cousins. She looks pale today, hasn't v* since 5 pm last night, says that her tummy tightens up and lets go again. That is exactly how I feel when I get a sv*. I'm so paranoid. She didn't v* or have d* here. She has already left for the day, and now I have the keys that she used before. I did wash them, and used antibacterial hand stuff on them. So, I hope I don't catch it. I am in a total state of panic

I really hope you are ok, and that things go ok.

I don't know much about sv, nor do I know many who have had it, but although they say it takes 6+ hours for food poisoning, I've heard of quite a few times where the poisoning takes at least an hour or so. Ask her if it came on suddenly or whether she felt n* slowly taking over her perhaps.

To me it sounds like FP, it was soon after eating the sub. Stay calm! Many times we freak out when someone is sick and we don't know if it's FP or SV, we don't end up catching it even if it's an SV. We have immune systems[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Just wash your hands and handle food safely.

thanks guys! I really appreciate you helping me through this. Im so dizzy now, not sure if it is my Atypical migraines, or if it is my nerves. I am trying to stay calm, but now there are 2 other people that are here that has been sick earlier this week and another one that has a tummy ache. This sucks! I dont want to get sick. Mothers day is coming up, my oldest's bday party...UGH! I just gotta make it through today

Ditto on what Amber said. You simply cannot tell unless you have a stool culture.

Unfortunately they are both contagious.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Ok, so now Im really confused. How can food poisoning be congtagious? I thought you got that cause of something bad that you ate. Didn't think that you could share that. Also, she has been feeling icky for the past couple of days. Cold syptoms, body aches things like that. I think I would be fine if she didn't have such bad stomach cramps...I would just relate that to her cold....Im so freaked out, I work with her again tomorrow, not in the same general area. And she knows how I am so she keeps her distance.

Food poisoningcan becontagious because the bacteria which made the person sick can be found in their stool- so, if the person doesn't wash properly after they go to the bathroom, or you don't take the proper precautions and wash your hands before eating, touching your face, etc. you can catch it.

However, if you DO take proper precautions, the odds of you catching anything, whether it be food poisoning or a virus, are pretty slim.

*amber*

Well while she has been at work, she didn't v* or have d* and I am not talking on the phone that she uses. She is actually in a back room working these 2 days. Im so nervous. Especially cause she wasn't sure if her child who is alomst 4 months old v* or not. She said it was more than spit up, but she wasn't sure if it was cause she got laid down too soon after eating. This was on Monday her kid was sick. I hope to god that she is feeling better and doesn't have a sv*. I don't want to catch it...I really hate when this happens. I am a basket case all day long!!

Usually such little babies don't actually v*, they just spit up, unless they have reflux. Is the baby breastfed? Because if it is, it is even less likely that it v*, because of all the immunities and antibacterial properties in breastmilk. Wonderful stuff!

she just started her on formula a few weeks back since she returned to work. God, I hope that she is better today. Im gonna have a terrible day going into work knowing that she is there, and I might get sick from it.

Amber is right on target![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Many people do not think FP is contagious...it is though. It is a bacteria instead of a virus. I have personally experienced the contagiousness of FP!

Just take your normal precautions and you will be fine.Edited by: madisonsmom

About the baby, it probably spit up because it is adjusting from breastmilk to formula. That can be a difficult transition for many babies tummies.