Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: dormant periods

Has anyone had dormant periods with emet, where it wasn't so bad, then it came back again? This has happened to me, and I'm trying to figure out why.Edited by: daffodil

My diet has alot to do with fluctuations in my menstrual cycle., I remember this lady that was in the hospital with me that was anorexic and she told me her menstruation stopped completely, so maybe..

I'm in one right now and loving it. I think my anxiety fluctuates with the stresses in my life. Right now I am in a low stress area and my hormones seem to be regulating for the first time in 3 or 4 years.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    Has anyone had dormant periods with emet, where it wasn't so bad, then it came back again? This has happened to me, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Are you asking about dormant menstural cycles/ periods or are you talking about dormant times without having your emet act up?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the only time I am not so stressed about it is usually during the summer months, when less kids are sick

That's a really interesting question, because I went through a period from about 1990 - 1992 (I was 28 - 30) where my emet was almost non-existent. Yet this was a time during which I caught at least four of my niece's sv*s, and spent all of December 1992 with a suspected ulcer which gave me v* and severe cramps. When I had to v*, I just did it. I didn't enjoy it, but there was NO fear!!! I even did it at work once, and you have to understand that I am obsessed with being in the "safety" of my own bathroom!

The emet returned with a vengeance two years later when I caught a particularly bad sv*. It's been there ever since. To this day I don't know why I had those two years of freedom. But I would give anything to have them back.

I was free of it from gr 4-6, then it came back when I started jr. high. And it hasn't left since.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant times where the emet is not too bad, or almost gone, not menstrual periods.

Figures, it could only happen to me to get the question wrong![img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]

I admit there are times in which I just didn't fear V* as much as other times, all throughout my life. There are different times during an average day when my fears peak and then when they are really low. Sometimes it seems like I have a "logic button" in my head that malfunctions and that is when my phobia acts up like crazy.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would suspect that your emet would probably be stronger in periods of stress, uncertainty, and where anxiety relating to other areas of your life is being channelled into this fear. I know for myself, when I am stressed about something- not even necessarily consciously, my emet gets worse. When I am really relaxed about things and have relatively little pressure to get something done, then my emet is relegated to the background.

I am a firm believer that vomitting isn't the problem- this fear is just a scapegoat for other issues that our minds have decided to channel into this specific fear.

*amber*

I agree with you Amber. My emet is at it's worst when something else stressful is in my life. Sometimes I'll be stressing over being sick and I'll think "whats really going on?" and usually there is some other cause. When I'm happy and calmer my emet fades a little, when I have a new job etc my emet is right back at it's worst because to me I don't think it's about being sick, my life gets so out of control that I focus on control of this one aspect. Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Yes! My emet was dormant for about 2 years. About 1 year ago, it started cranking up into high gear. Of course, I had no idea my phobia existed until a couple of months ago...I thought I was totally the only who was this freaked out about n* and v*.

This happens to me a lot. It tends to get worse right after I have had a stomach virus. Also, it is really bad right now because I am having surgery soon and am terrified of being sick after my surgery. When my emet is bothering me, I tend to be a much happier person and pack on the pounds. I remember a time about 6 or 7 years ago when I was happy and stress-free, and I weighed about 15 pounds more than I do now.