Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: problems eating

If there's anyone who has overcome problems eating associated with emet, can you tell me how?
    I didn't used to have too many problems eating with my emet, but the last few months, I have, and they are getting worse as time passes.

The first thing I would recommend when you are really feeling bad is to drink some nutritional supplements like Boost or Ensure. They really don't taste that bad! At least you will be getting some nutrition. Yogurt is another food that is nutritious, easy to digest, and actually good for your digestive system. I have gone long periods where all I would live on is Boost, yogurt, crackers, cookies, etc. I try to always be busy doing something when I am eating, like watching TV or on the computer. That way you don't think about what you are eating. (They always tell dieters not to eat while they're busy because they will not remember eating that much and still feel hungry.) Try to eat healthy foods, like vegetables and nutrient packed foods. Low fat foods and carbohydrates take the least time to digest. High fat and high protein foods take the longest, so maybe avoid them while you're not feeling well. Remember to drink lots of fluids, too. Hope this was helpful! Edited by: halfoverthefur

My emet and eating disorder has come and gone in phases of intensity over the years.

For me, when I'mDOING HEALTHY (that is howI describe it)- here are some of the things that worked to control both at the same time:
    1. Preparing my own food. I was less concerned about getting sick from food if I knew exactly what and how it was prepared. This does create social limits sometimes, but it helped me eat at more regular intervals because I had control over the food.
    2. Accountablity. I would eat with someone, like in the school cafeteria. I would eat meals with the same people I trusted everyday. We would eat together and not talk or focus on the food - we would focus on other stuff. I could trust food when I was around people I trusted. We had "lunch dates" and "dinner dates" multiple times a week so we would BOTH eat! I didn't always eat variety, but I ate more consistently and was more open to eating new things when I was with someone I trusted around food.
    3. Reducing stress. Exercising, allowing "me time", and writing are 3 things that help me better control my stress. When I'm less stressed out, my emet and eating problems tend to control themselves.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What i do is start a puzzle,(finding the pieces to it never fails to take my mind to better places)and nibble tiny pieces of crackers and monterey jack cheeses. I mean i start out small- real small. If you can get better interested in a movie of some sort is great, but i find myself not even watching it and mind has wandered.So if you can, find somethig that takes hand-eye coordination and take the smallest bites of anything you can! I hope you feel better asap. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]