Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This may sound like a stupid question but is it possible to? My stomach doesn't hurt, it actually feels like I'm hungry, but in my thoat...it feels tight like I'm gagging or like something is about to come up.

I'm sorry, I know I haven't posted here in a while....which makes this all the more frustrating. I haven't had an attack like this in weeks, so this just sucks. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I know exactly what you're talking about.

And no, I think real nausea is a combination of stomachache and the feeling you're about to be sick.

Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know what you mean. Since Friday night I've felt really really sick and it's still here on Sunday morning. The feeling's in my throat and it feels like something should come up.

Augh, and like you it had been fine for ages andI thought it was getting slightly better.
    <font size=\"3\"><center> Help put us emets on the map-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </font></center>

I get that too, but I think it's just anxiety. You'll be fine. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

me 2... i sometimes feel like that but you should be fine...... i think its just anxiety try to relax xx

I've had a cold&amp; havefelt absolutely terrible all week. The lump in my throat, a very n* feeling with gagging&amp; general yukky feeling.. its going now. Around Wednesday time I honestly thought I was gonna be s*, but had no stomach ache. I panicked &amp; it made it worse but I talked myself through it &amp; told myself it would pass within 7 days or so. Nothing a bit of retail therapy didn't sort out this afternoon [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]New skateshoes &amp; a pocket ashtray from Subvert... how trendy do I feel &amp; not an ounce of n* YAY!

JoJo,

Nausea is an entirely subjective sensation. So if you don't feel nauseated, you aren't nauseated. By definition.

It's good to feel hungry, because if you're hungry, you can't be nauseated! By definition.

However, your question might be, is it possible to vomit without feeling nauseated first, and the answer is yes. Vomiting that happens without premonitory nausea is called precipitate vomiting. According to surveys done for my web site, 39 percent of regular people but only 17 percent of emets have had precipitate vomiting. Some regular people it has happened to have said it doesn't feel as bad as nausea and vomiting, but most are horrified about having to vomit in public. The dreaded Norwalk virus (Norovirus) sometimes causes precipitate vomiting. Another cause is motion sickness (in extreme flight situations) where a person was close to vomiting earlier in the flight and then got better but then later in the flight there was a severe, sudden motion, and the person suddenly vomits. Luckily, that's not something we have to deal with.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Well I didn't get sick so I guess I'm fine. I do have d* today. That means I could have a sv and I guess I don't mind that as long as it doesn't make me v*.

Although I am just THRILLED to hear that Norwalk can cause that! I always thought that if I had Norkwalk I'd atleast get a stomachache to warn me. Guess not. ::sigh::

Yeah I live in fear of precipitate V*ing...I mean what if it just HAPPEND one day out of the blue and I wasn't at home? Sorry but that scares me SO much more then N* for some reason, cause at least when I'm N* I can do things to control it, well sort of...but precipitate V*ing is scary.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I've never heard of precipitate vomiting in my life.

Anyway, I am always reading about people talking about a feeling in their throat. I'm sure that's anxiety. Nausea is felt in your stomach, not in the throat. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I tend to feel n* in my head too...like car/travel s*ness

Default Re: Being N* without actually feeling N*?

Quote Originally Posted by japa View Post
    I've never heard of precipitate vomiting in my life.

Anyway, I am always reading about people talking about a feeling in their throat. I'm sure that's anxiety. Nausea is felt in your stomach, not in the throat. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Hi i understand this thread is old but i've just come across this site and would like to comment :-)

I have looked into this "precipitate vomiting" and there's like 2 non official medical pages on the net that reference it. The best site i found explains it as Vomiting when a persons in shock or see's a bad sight etc, the above post about it is very misleading and designed to scare. As i said all official medical sites do not mention this form of vomiting at all, i think it's been coined by emetophobics to mean gagging or spitting up. For example my wife has a very sensitive gag reflex which can be triggered by smells etc she will not feel sick before hacking up it's more regurgitation than the vomiting phase due to nerves in the throat. Some people use the word "vomited" to describe spitting up (regurgitation) so when you see that word being used it could mean either. I have never heard of someone on a plane feeling air sick then getting better and throwing up (you must spend a lot of time on planes with a survey sheet) and as for Norovirus you always have symptoms ! You can't just be feeling ok and throw up there is always a cause (cause and effect). When i have had Norovirus it starts as bad cramping in the stomach and horrendous diarrhea with nausea and then vomiting ! And i always get that strange feeling of "quick get to the loo" but hey everyone is different ! just because one person goes through something doesn't mean you will ! But you will always get symptoms before throwing up especially with Norovirus ! I have never gagged or spit up in my life it's always been the proper vomiting phase due to eating something bad or being ill, emetophobics are always people who hardly ever throw up that's how they develope the paranoia and fear. As sufferers you need to focus on your body and what you've experienced and not listen to others some people like to put more paranoia in the minds of sufferers, you are emetophobic because you hardly if ever vomit so be free and live your life ! My fear is vomting in public but i've never ever done that ! and when do you see anyone vomit out and about ? Only drunks and clubbers on a Friday night ! It's like worrying about lighting hitting oneself ! It truly is irrational and if everyone was like that the world would stand still. As i said before it is possible to spit up without nausea but it's a totally different sensation which doesn't involve the brain, and only a small amount of people are affected by things like sensitive gag reflex or a weak esophagus etc, so don't worry !

Ad.