Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: teaching

Hi I am new to the forum. Looking for some advice really.I have more of a problem of seeing people be sick than actually myself. This is worse in some ways as I do not have any control over other people being sick. My phobia seems to be getting progressively worse.I travel by train everyday and more in more I am in fear of people being sick. I get extremely anxious and shaky. In some ways I think the fear is worse than the actual event.

I currently work at an after school care facility with primary age children. Aged 5-9. Any time a child tells me they are feeling sick. i have to move away from them and find it very hard to deal with. I am hoping to become a primary school teacher and have been accepted onto a course. I am worried I will not be able to cope with the children as I will be constantly worried that they are ill. I do not want this to affect my career. Does anyone have ideas on how I can get over my phobia to some extent so I am able to be around the children.

Thanks xx

Hi

I am a teacher, you can email me on [email protected]if you want to ask any questions or just want to chat. My email address doesnt look too clear written there, the first letter is an L and the 0 is a zero

Or you can PM me

take care nicki xx

I have been substitute teaching all year and will be starting my Master's soon (certification track). I, too, have trouble with others being sick - but it isn't as much of a fear, it is that I get really concerned for their well-being. I don't like it when others aren't feeling good. I get really scared when I know they are contagious!

This is really hard for me because when a kid gets sick in the classroom (cold or stomach), I internally panic sometimes- but I have to remember that there are 20 other kids who need me. I take care of the sick student by sending them to someone who can help them and then I refocus myself on the other 20. My heart aches and my stomach frequently flips around while I'm taking care of the sick one, but their physical needs are more important than my irrational fears at the time. They need me right then and there.

As a teacher (substitute or not!), my focus and dedication is on the student above myself. I also believe that a student receives the best care I can provide at the time (even if it giving them a trashcan and telling them to RUN, meanwhile picking up the phone and calling the campus nurse), then that the student will benefit. If I freak and lose my cool, then the student gets hurt unnecessarily.

I have to remember that they cannot help feeling sick under most circumstances, so I can't be angry about something that they can't control. The only thing I know I can change about the situation is how I feel and act towards them.

I am seriously considering getting ECE (Early Childhood Education) through 4th grade certification because I love working with Kindergarteners! I know they get sick, but the 99.9% of the time they are the most awesome joys in my life to work with! The hugs and their honesty and the magic they show me about learning is so worth all of the V* messes they have the potential to make!

Yes, I'm totally nuts Teaching is making me face my fears and is keeping me focusing on "being real". Teaching is so hard and having emet on top of it makes it even more of a challenge, but I don't believe in taking the easy way out of life and teaching is too much fun to pass up over a fear of something natural and healthy that my body does to protect itself.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Marilyn,

Welcome to the site! I'm a recovered emetophobe and therapist who moderates this site and tries to help others wherever I can. I also feared seeing others...VERY badly. Now I volunteer 3 days a week in the hospital - I'm totally fine with it. If you go to the Treatments section of this forum there are some excellent "important topics" as sticky posts at the top. Read through all of them carefully and post any questions for me that you like. Or send me a private message!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey

Thanks for all of your advice. I definitely do not want my fear to stop me doing what I want to do. I guess I'll know if I can cope with it when I start my course and have to do placements in primary schools. I do not want to be distracted the entire time, worrying about someone being ill.I hope I'll be able to get on with my job without this fear affecting me too much.