Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Let me preface this with telling you all I have a doctor appt. for the 3rd of May, and so will be getting checked out by a professional, but I wanted some opinions on here, too.
    I have lost a good amount of weight in the last few months. I do not own a scale, so all I have to go on is doctors office records, but On January 30th I weighed 145, and on the 21st of this month, I weighed 127. This seems like a big drop. I had been dropping before the January appt, but not sure how much,just noticed it in my clothes.
    I am a nursing mom, and there is a hormone shift that happens around when the nursing baby approaches one year old, which can cause a weight loss. I have this from a family member who is an internationally certified lactation consultant. And I had a weight loss around this time with my 1st child, though not as dramatic.
    I know some of it is due to lack of eating properly, esp. in the last 3-4 weeks, but jeez. What is going on here? I am a fairly sedentary person, and have not been trying in any way to lose weight.
    My family member thinks something physiological is causing my increased anxiety and weight loss. She knows some of it, but not all of it. I don't know what is happening, I just know that my anxiety, depression, and emet have been going crazy the last month or so, and I don't know what happened to make them worse all of a sudden.

Daffodil, try not to worry, losing this amount of weight in 3 months is not excessive. I'm sure it's a combination of a number of things, certainly anxiety can cause weight loss. Also, the nursing will definitely contribute; I breastfed my last child for years - it took me a long time to shift all of my pregnancy flab, but when it did start to go, it went quickly and drastically. I was about 125 pounds when i got pregnant and put on close to 40. I eventually dropped to about 115, for no obvious reason.

Kids also wear you out, you're probably on the go alot even though you say you're sedentry. Coupled with the obvious emet stresses and anxieties, I'd say you're using up alot of energy. Your child is less dependent on your milk now - you're probably only producing the bare minimum to meet his requirements, so you need fewer fat supplies.

I think you should ask your doctor to run some blood tests though, my doctor did this for me when my weight dropped. It could be a thyroid problem for example. It's probably nothing more than busy mum syndrome though but at least it will put your mind at rest.

While I'm not a nursing mom (yet), I do know that my sister-in-law has nursed two babies up to a year old. And she always lost weight rapidly the first six months, and then after a year.

And from Weight Watchers, I know that you can eat more than you normally would as a nursing mom and still lose weight because of all the nutrients needed for the breastmilk.

I think that's a good amount for three months. I would verify with your doctor, but I think everything will be all right. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've not got children so don't knowanything personally about the weight loss that can occur with nursing mothers. I totally agree with what Suze said - you'll be on the go more than you realise with young children (I think you mentioned in another post that you have older ones) and a baby. That coupled with anxiety could well be causing you to burn off so many calories. When I'm anxious I can't eat at all or only very little, that coupled with the nervous energy tends to lead to weight loss.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb