Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I'm sure this topic has already been brought up...but did anyone see that movie? I was eating (Chinese) while watching it and they got to day three where the dude was eating his double quarterpounder and then V*ed. It was rather graphic and then they showed the V* on the ground. I was like, EWWW! Anyway did you know that McNasty's doesn't have Supersize any more? They said that it has NOTHING to do with the movie...YEAH RIGHT! And that poor guy who worked for GMA doesn't work there any more! And I found out that Cleveland Ohio (Where I live) is the 13th fattest city in America! I'm like DAMN! All I have to say is this.

PEOPLE!! You DON'T have to eat there! McDonalds is NOT making you fat you make YOURSELF FAT! It's not fair to blame it on the resturant. All you have to do is go out jogging three times a week, or do some damn push ups. For GOD SAKES no one is SHOVING Fast Food down your throat! I'm sorry but the people who blame Fast Food for their weight problems PISS ME OFF! I just had to get that off my chest.

In the movie they were talking about how people won't hesitate to yell at a smoker for lighting up a cigarette, hell people say stuff to me ALL the TIME about smoking! But NO one will go up to a fat person and tell them to excersize!My sister thinks it's because tellingpeoplewho smoke that it's bad for them is different from telling someone who's fat to get up and walk around, because like when you call someone fat you are basically telling them they are hideous. Now don't get me wrong I know some over weight people who I think are beautiful...so I don't agree with her. Besides I've heard some pretty mean things from people who just randomly yell at me to quit smoking.

Anyway I wanted to know what all of you guys think about obesity and McDonalds and blaming fast food resturants for problems.At leastmy sister and I both agree that it's NOT THE FOODS FAULT! If you're fat then YOU are the one to blame not someone else! Anyone think different? And don't give me that GENETIC crap either!Just about EVERYONE on my dad's side of the family is obeseor overweight. His mom was overweight too, but I tell you...my dad WATCHES what he eats and EXCERSIZES EVERY MORNING and he is NOT FAT...so it has NOTHING to do with genetics!

Sorry for the long post...just had to yell for a little while!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Well, as someone who WAS overweight (I was 210 at my biggest- went down to 125, and am now at about 135), I do know how hard it is not only to lose weight, but to have also people judge you based on your weight. There is the preconception that fat people are lazy, don't have good hygiene, smell, etc- and it can be very discouraging. Yes, I agree with you- it is 100% possible to lose weight it you work at it via diet or exercise (although for some people there ARE physical reasons for their size, such as underactive thyroid)- but for people who view food as comfort, that 'friend' who is always there, when faced with discrimination and ridicule it's really difficult NOT to go back to your old patterns. I think that if people were more supportive, as opposed to rude (trust me, you can't tease/berate someone into losing weight- if this was the case I would have been thin a long time ago), positive change would occur more quickly.

What you also must remember that fat people know that they are fat- they don't necessarily need someone telling them this. They also know what they need to do to lose weight. I get frustrated as hell when some of my girlfriends eat like crap day after day, and then complain about being overweight. And, when you suggest some foods which are low in fat and calories that they can eat if they are interested in losing weight, they make some excuses for why they can't eat it. But, I have to keep reminding myself that if they were serious about wanting to lose weight they would be taking steps to do so, as opposed to making excuses. They know what they need to do, they just need to decide when they want to do it.

I agree with you- it's not the food's fault. The person makes the conscious decision to eat what theychoose (unless they are children). They also are responsible for deciding if and when they want to get healthy.

I have no problem with the aesthetics of obesity- everyone can be beautiful, and that beauty needs to come from within. The only problem I have with it are the serious health issues that can arise, and can be prevented.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

While I do believe that some people are genetically more likely to be
    obese (this is a fact) I agree that this can be avoided by eating a
    good diet and exercising.

I have been blessed with a "skinny" gene so I am one of those lucky
    people who doesn't have to do very much to stay fit (although I still
    eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly).

My step-father's family are all extremely obese and they eat high fat,
    high calory foods in excess and never exercise so I find it hard to
    have sympathy for them.

I don't think it's right to blame McDonald's or any other fast food
    franchise for North America's obesity problem. In the end we
    ultimately make our own decisions about what types of foods we will put
    into our bodies and whether we'd prefer to take a jog or sit in front
    of the television.

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

One thing, though...

Studies have shown that there ARE additives in these foods, making them addictive. People actually become addicted to eating this s***ty food they serve. Another thing to consider.. Fast food corporations really do make money off of society being fat and unhealthy. I dunno, I found Fast Food Nation to be a pretty decent documentary.

But I agree, most people who are overweight have the power to change themselves. It's just really sick and sad that so many people don't care much about being healthy. I shudder to think at how many American families feed their kids this s*** countless times per week. Anywho... Junk food is okay as a treat, but I think it's sick to live on it... Another thing I would like to mention is that I know tons of people who live on fast food and are not overweight, but I imagine they are probably unhealthy as hell..
    \"This too shall pass\"

Everything in moderation. It's a good policy to follow. And certainly applies to thinks like fast/junk food. A little won't kill ya. But lots will.

I know that for a large demographic of people, unfortunately, fast food is appealing for more than just the taste. The convenience &amp; speed are key. The low-cost is key. Also, there can be an addictive quality to certain kinds of fast foods (Shiva mentioned the additives), not to mention the salt &amp; carbs in general, which can be similarly addictive to folks who regularly consume those things. Point being, it's easy for many people to get caught in the fast food "trap," especially if nothing (perceptual) better presents itself, or is obvious. It's a shame, really. I wish it were easier (and cheaper) for folks to eat healthier.

Don't wanna drive McD's out of business completely though... I really like their fries.

RE: the issue about smokers. Meh. Folks who feel the need to randomly 'yell' at anyone in public need to have a time out. But to be fair, there is often another component to many anti-smoker's motivation for being so confrontational: the ill-effects smoking can have on non-smokers. Whereas, generally speaking, someone being overweight doesn't adversely affect the health of those around them.

Imagine if it did! Folks spontaneously sprouting love handles and pot bellies just by taking a stroll through the local mall! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I am on the fence about this one.

in a positive light, he demonstrates the mostnegative effects that fast food can have on us. Sometime you have to take drastic measures to get your point heard( ie, eating all that food, all the time).Mind you, most of the population does not eat fast food for every meal of the day, but there are many people who eat out once a day, or several times a week, and even this can add up to some of the symptoms he displayed.

Its been awhile since I've seen this movie, but I don't think he is directly blaming MacDonalds, but fast food in general. I don't think you can blame the fast food itself, but more of your own self-control tactics.

I have to say, as much as I love Macdonalds, they really try to suck in their customers as soon as they can - think about it - they're restaurants are filled with video games, play rooms, and their icon is a clown. I know I have alot of good memories going there as a kid - and I think thats what they're counting on, so you'll come back as an adult, over and over, with your own kids.

that said, parents need to develop good self control habits for their children, and be good role models by choosing more home cooked (heathly meals). While I think you can't blame fast food directly, I think the way in which sales are promoted contribute significantly. I do see macdonalds creating some healthy choices - like salads, deli sandwhiches, and even apple slices in happy meals. However, do you really think that a child is going to choose apple slices when there are fries available instead?

edited to add opinion about smokers: I'm sorry, but I have little tolerance for them. If they want to give themselves cancer, thats fine, but if anyone lights up around me they will hear about it. I hate the way it makes my hair, clothes, and even skin, smell. And kissing a smoker has got to be the worst thing you can do, complete turnoff. I understand some people are hooked and enjoy it, and I respect that, as long as they respect me enough to not light up when I'm around.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll
    parents need to develop good self control habits for their children
    This comment reminded me that this evening I saw an ad on TV for a show coming up called Honey, We're Killing the Kids. Should be interesting!

amber....I have a question for you...you were at 210 at your biggest...i weight 190, and my doc wants me to weigh 130 lbs due to my back problems. What did you change in your life to help you lose that weight. And how long did it take? I have no will power, and I love to eat...so it really sucks, but I want to lose weight sooo bad!

Quote Originally Posted by inwardthinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll
    parents need to develop good self control habits for their children
    This comment reminded me that this evening I saw an ad on TV for a show coming up called Honey, We're Killing the Kids. Should be interesting!

I saw a few epi's of that and I was not impressed. The behaviour modification program that I was implimented way too drastic, and without ANY reinforcements.

the kids are basically cut off from any type of unhealthy foods all at once, told to do chores, etc. The program gets progessively harder during the 3 weeks.

In my opinion, in order to maintian this type of program, it should 1) be as close as possible to your original lifestyle with small but meaningful changes, 2) provide reinforcements for obtaining a goal, and 3) should be easy for the parents to commit to. The episode I saw had none of these tactics. This makes me cringe because they could actually be creating a situation where food becomes adversive, leading to the possibility ofeating disorders down the road.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Supersize me is a good movie! I've seen it twice (never watched the v* scene though, I knew it was coming, so I closed my eyes and plugged my ears lol &gt;.&gt; ). But my opinion is.. I don't care if someone is fat. It is usually a choice, though not always... I will not give someone a hard time for being overweight. But I hate hearing the excuses. I know some people (one person in particular) that whine all the time about how fat they are.. and they do not do one thing to lose weight. they just eat and sit around and mope. That self pity really bothers me. And when that one personasks me, "I'm so fat! Do you think I'm ugly?" I just really want to tell him off... tell him, either work out or shut up. I know it must be hard to lose weight. But it doesn't hurt to try. It's better than whining. And with smoking... hmm.. I don't think it's nice to say rude things to smokers. But I will not be around anyone who's smoking. For some reason, the smell of smoke really bothers me. It makes me cough. And I really am scared to get lung cancer. So if someone I know smokes, I won't hang out with them while they do so. But it's still bad to be rude to them. Though, they need to be considerate and not smoke in public. It's not nice of them to hurt other people's lungs with their smoke.

6pk- dropped from 210 to about 150 in about 8 months or so, but it took be the better part of two years to drop the rest! The last bit is always the hardest.

I did it purely through eating healthier and exercise. I used to eat a lot of processed food, sugar, bad carbs (white bread, white riceand the like)- once I transitioned from eating that stuff to healthier alternatives, such as fruits, vegetables, brown rice, eggs, tofu, etc. the weight came off quickly. I never went hungry- I just picked food that was better for me instead of what was quickest to get my hands on. That, and I cut out full calorie soda and juice- it can be really easy to drink your calories, and get very little from it because it is loaded with sugar and will just make you thirstier.

If you have no will power (I'm the same- if it's there I'll eat it)- just make sure you have no junk food in the house. If it isn't there you can't eat it! Just keep stocked on healthy, low-cal alternatives. If you really want a sweet fix, a lot of companies are offering low cal treats. It's better to keep 100 calorie chocolate bars around (I think hershey or cadbury makes them?), or slim fast snack bars then cave and end up eating a full-calorie chocolate bar.

Also, beware of seemingly "low fat" offerings at fast food places- in many cases, the healthy 'salads' have just as many calories as the burgers due to the dressing, bacon, etc. You can still have fast food occasionally, but make sure to request or look up the nutritional info so you know what you are eating, and can make informed choices.

One last thing- get out there and exercise, even if it is just walking instead of driving, taking the stairs, getting involved in some sort of sporting activity, etc. It will be hard at first, but once it becomes part of your routine you will actually feel weird if you dont do it!

I love food too.....sometimes I'll wake up early because I have something in the fridge I want to eat! It's just learning portion control, moderation, and finding healthier alternatives to the food you love.

Good luck! If you ever want encouragement or tips, feel free to PM or email me!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

confusedgirl- it depends on what you mean by smoking in public. If they are in the smoking section, or outdoors, then in my opinion they should be left the hell alone. Nothing makes me more PO'd then someone who complains or is rude to someone who is smoking outside. What, should they find a deserted lot somewhere when they are out and want a cig?

Babydoll- I think they do use reinforcers, but in the form of parental praise, and praise from the nutritionist. In one episode, when the child started to lose weight that became his reinforcement to stay on the plan. Yes, it is drastic- but after seeing what these kids were eating, a drastic change was in order. I actually didnt find it all too drastic.....getting rid of the junk food right away was the first big move, and to me that was completely warranted. I dont see it as creating a possible adverse reaction to food, but rather learning portion control, how to eat healthy, and how what you're eating can affect concentration, sleep, etc. Yep, its a big change- but once they get over the hump and get used to it, it will become second nature.

*amber*

I'm very overweight (somewhere near 200) and very short (barely 5 feet) so I need to drastically lose weight. My emet hardly ever affects my eating, so I'm not thin at all.

When I was in elementary school I weighed probably what a refugee would and had ribs sticking out, all due to the fact that emet controlled my life and I couldn't eat at school. My parents made the big mistake of getting me Mcdonald's everyday after school because I would relax as soon as I got home and they were so thankful to see me actually eat something. I was removed from the stressful school in 3rd grade, so add very little exercise plus a developing 3 or 4 can a day soda habit, plus nothing but fast food, and surprise, I'm morbidly obese!

Several years ago I cut out all fast food, but it didn't do much for me weight-wise since I was still drinking up to 6 cans of soda a day. I wanted to quit, but my body was so screwed up that water made me n* and I had reprogrammed my stomach to adjust to the disgusting amount of acid I was consuming.

In December of last year I finally broke the habit, deciding that I didn't want to be fat anymore and wasn't going to pour meaningless crap into my body. I lost 35 pounds in a month and a half through switching to water and natural juices that contain no high fructose corn syrup (it is proven to cause weight gain) and walking for 30 mins every day.

I am also on the fence about this, from my personal experiences. Being fat is no fun, and the public perception of fat people is even less fun. For instance, though I eat way too much junk, I am definitely not a hog which is what fat people in the media seem to be. I eat like a bird most of the time- it's just the way I am. I sincerely believe that had I never eaten Mcdonald's or drank soda I would be thin as a rail.

I definitely believe companies are putting harmful additives into foods which are driving up the obesity rate. I think America is the worst country to live in, in terms of food consumption and unhealthy additives, though I would imagine Canada and the UK are bad too.

I have never seen Supersize Me but I think it would horrify me. I gave up restaurant, grocery store, and fast food hamburgers about 6 years ago because I read too many hideous articles about what sort of meat and ingredients actually ends up in those burgers...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]. I'm not vegetarian but my family now buys meat from a private butcher in the country with self-raised cattle.

~~~Carolyn~~~

I'm also a "hefty emet". I've lost 17 lbs. since the beginning of the year by cutting out junk, chips, sugar, sweets, starches, etc. Sort of low carb I guess. I eat meat and veggies, drink lots of water. I do 2 miles a day on my treadmill. I would lose faster if I didn't have a bit of a chardonnay habit.

I watched an episode of the Honey We're Killing the Kids. show. I also was not impressed. They use computers to show the parents what the kids will look like at age 40 if they continue their unhealthy habits. They give them jacked up haur cuts like mullets and make them look slovenly. Then they go overboard with the diet stuff. I don't have kids, but Moms--they cook a tofu stirfry for their first healthy meal and expect a 6, 10 and 12 year old who are used to pizza to dive in. It seems like they did it for shock value. The little one gagged his mouthful up after his mom made him swallow some. There are other healthy alternatives that would be more palatable to a kid. They did get them (at least on the show) to not watch so much TV and do other activities. The middle boy was eating an average of 4 apples a day after the 3 week period was over, which is a much wiser snack. But the stir fry thing was ridiculous. Then at the end they showed the parents what the kids would look like at age 40 if they continued their healthy habits and they gave them better clothes, haircuts, made them look preppy. Hmmmmmm.... I usually like the shows on TLC

o yeah, if they use the smoking sections, that's great. It's the people that walk around the mall, though it's outside - it's a roofless mall - and smoke (even though it's illegal to smoke close to store openings in this state [I think it's they must be 15 or so feet away? or 25?]) that bother me. and the people that smoke on my college campus. they have designated areas for smoking, but people don't use them and the staff on campus does nothing to enforce that rule. that bothers me, because I have to get to class, and I can't avoid them if I want to. And I'm never rude to people who smoke anywhere. I just feel mad.

Quote Originally Posted by crimgoddess

confusedgirl- it depends on what you mean by smoking in public. If they are in the smoking section, or outdoors, then in my opinion they should be left the hell alone. Nothing makes me more PO'd then someone who complains or is rude to someone who is smoking outside. What, should they find a deserted lot somewhere when they are out and want a cig?

Babydoll- I think they do use reinforcers, but in the form of parental praise, and praise from the nutritionist. In one episode, when the child started to lose weight that became his reinforcement to stay on the plan. Yes, it is drastic- but after seeing what these kids were eating, a drastic change was in order. I actually didnt find it all too drastic.....getting rid of the junk food right away was the first big move, and to me that was completely warranted. I dont see it as creating a possible adverse reaction to food, but rather learning portion control, how to eat healthy, and how what you're eating can affect concentration, sleep, etc. Yep, its a big change- but once they get over the hump and get used to it, it will become second nature.

*amber*

Well- to me outside is the smoking section. Inside, the smoke is trapped, and it does stick around- outside, even in the entranceways, it does disperse quickly and isn't as strong. If the person is outside, i think they should be left alone and allowed to pollute their lungs in peace. I'm glad that you don't say anything or are rude- but i have witnessed it, and it's crap. One of my profs actually got into a verbal fight with someone while I sat with her outside so she could have a smoke.

The whole smoking 8 meters away from the entrance of a building to me is absolute rubbish- we actually calculated the distance outside of the entrance to my department on campus, and it would actually mean that you would have to stand in the street. Ridiculous. And I don't even really smoke! I'll maybe smoke a few cigarettes a month, and then go months without one. I haven't had a cigareete now in 4 months, and really have no desire for one anytime soon.

What offends me 1000x more than smoking are people who drive massive gas-guzzling SUVs, or who drive EVERYWHERE even though it's in walking distance. That has even more dire and long-lasting effects than cigarettes ever will- it doesn't matter if we all get lung cancer if we can't go outside without being incinerated by the sun due to the lack of ozone!

Sorry for the rant-ish off-topic post- this subject has come up in a few other forums that I visit, and it always manages to get my blood'a'risin'! No one has to agree with me (this view often makes me unpopular)- but it tends to be a soapbox issue for me!

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

The thing is.. smoking affects others around the smoker... I can smell it if the guy in front of my car lights up... but fat people don't really affect you.

I used to smoke, and I quit.. and sometimes the second hand smoke causes me to have asthma attacks... so .. yeah thats my 2 cents
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...