Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: anxiety meds

I have posted that I am going to the doctor soon about meds. I will probably go back on zoloft, which has helped in the past with the depression, and took away some of the obsessive thoughts. I want to know what people's experiences are with anxiety meds,in case my nurse practicioner thinks this is indicated. I'm not a big med person, and don't want anything that will hinder my functioning too much, as I have two small kids to look after, but it might be nice to have something to take on occasion at night, so I can actually relax enough to sleep, and not sit up until 4 am feeling nervous/ having attacks. I have heard a lot of you say you use them sometimes. WHat works for you, and why?

BuSpar is what I take for generalized anxiety. It takes the edge off so that I'm not quite as nervous.

I take Propanolol (40mg)which is a Beta blocker. I was prescribed 2/3 a day but they made my throat feel constricted (which obviously isnt a good thing!) so I reduced it to one a day. They are quite good as they regulate your heart beat, so they prevent you from having a full scale panic attack. I get the panicky thoughts but my body doesn't respond to them.

The only thing the doctor said before prescribing them was that I shouldnt take them if I have asthma or do a lot of physical exercise (I didn't at the time but do now and i'm still fine!)

I was prescribed anti-depressents (prozac) but i'm not actually depressed. I am trying to treat the cause rather than the symptoms.

[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]x Kimmy x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

I've tried a few different meds, including propranolol (didn't work for me), stemetil (an anti-emetic - didn't help either), anti-spasmodics to try and stop my stomach knotting up with anxiety (didn't work) and Prothiaden anti-dpressants (worked for a while but then anxiety returned, also had horrible side-effects). The drug that has worked wonders for me has been Seroxat anti-depressants, they literally saved my life as I was so crippled with anxiety and depression before going on these. Of course what works for some won't for others, so I think it's a case of trying different things (making sure you give them chance/good timeto work) to see what best suits you. It took me ten years to find the right meds for me - of course I'm not saying it takes years with everybody, some may find the right drug pretty much straight away. Let us know what you decide to try.

I know you are thinking about therapy. I want to add that it's always the best idea to try this route aswell as or instead of taking meds. I have tried every form of therapy in the past and seen so many different therapists (including a psychiatrist) - I've even been to yoga classes, studied aromatherapy, taken evening classes in stress management & learning to relax, tried meditation and hypnotherapy to try and help with my anxiety! Try anything you think may help!

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I used to be on Celexa for both acute clinical depression and anxiety. It worked like a charm. I must say my best years as an emet was the two years I was on an SSRI. Now I just need health insurance so I can get back on them.

I am not a big fan of medication either, but the SSRI really seemed to help me control things better.

I have been researching meds online, and it looks like a lot of antiemetics have tranquilizing effects. Hmm.. I just hope I can convince my NP to give me some. I'm scared she won't, and I really feel like I need them now.

I am not a fan of being on meds, but I'm a fan of crippling anxiety even less so, so I went for it this winter when things were out of control. I also have two young children, so was leary of the side effects, especially sedation.

I tried Effexor (side-effexor as it could be renamed ) That didn't go so well, as it made me hugely agitated and even more anxious. I didn't make it past day 8 before I quit that.

Celexa is what I'm on right now. I honestly don't know if it is working or not. I have had minimal exposure to sv' over the last few months that I've been on it. I think that maybe it is helping to control the more general aspect of this, like the frequency of the intrusive thoughts, etc. However, I can still get quite panicky, quite quickly when I am faced with v* or finding out me/my kids have been in contact with someone with a sv. I did find that it caused some sleepiness when I took it first thing in the morning, since I'm not usually very awake until closer to lunchtime anyway. I'm up because of the kids, but it's definitely not my most energetic time of day so the Celexa made mornings pretty tough. Now I take it at lunchtime and the sedative effect happens during the afternoon, when I'm naturally more alert and active, so I barely notice it now.

For acute attacks, I have Ativan (lorazepam) and I LOVE that stuff. I take it sparingly, of course, since it's very habit forming, but it got me through what was a horribly rough winter in terms of anxiety. I find that within 45 minutes of taking it, I can literally feel the panic easing off and I start to get control over myself. It's such a feeling of relief. Supposedly it can cause sleepiness and slight problems with short term memory, but anything that gets the panic to go away when it's really bad is definitely worth it in my books. My short-term memory is shot anyway. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Ativan doesn't affect the short-term memory except temporarily. This side effect is actually called "amnesia" - meaning you can't remember what happened when you were under the influence of the drug,...but it doesn't affect short-term memory permanently - or even an hour after the drug wears off.

I use Ativan when I fly or go to the dentist or for some medical test. I love it. But you can't take it all the time. SSRIs weren't around when I suffered the worst from this phobia. But I can see how they really help people. But one program of cognitive-behavioral therapy helped me get over the fear of vomiting myself, so then I only got a phobic reaction when I was near someone else who might be sick...so it didn't make sense to take a drug all the time when I could avoid the stimulus. For those of you who can't avoid the stimulus, and your'e upset all the time - I'd say it would be in order to take something so your life isn't an utter hell.

But do consult your doctor, and don't take the word of anyone you hear on the internet, me included. Everyone is different as someone said and you need to try a few kinds sometimes.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I realize that people don't appreciate when I go off on my au natural rants, but after what I have experienced and watched friends experience at the hands of anti depressant and anti anxiety medication I just have to offer some advice coming from the other side of the spectrum....

I realize (trust me, I do..) how hard it is to experience anxiety daily and I also have quite the extensive background in what it feels like to be depressed. But what I have watched happen to so many people on medication is that nothing ever really goes away or becomes better. You may be somewhat emotionally void, or your anxious edge may be taken off, but if the meds disappeared, you would more than likely become a mess again. Why not work really hard at lifestyle modifications and treat your mind and body and have control over yourself once and for all?

There are tons of foods that you can eat that will help your state of mind. Foods rich in vitamin D for instance are really good for you. The B vitamins help as well. Magnesium gives you a sense of well being. Also I swear by this and will say it over and over again, work on becoming hormonally balanced. After doing this myself, I feel better than EVER IN MY LIFE. Also, you would want to see a good therapist who can help you with behavior modifications. Your mind needs to learn how to function differently.

I am just offering this to let you know that there ARE other options. Sure the band aid effect is good for the moment (sometimes..) But, why not take steps to changing your self so that you don't have to be on medication for the rest of your life?

I am not meaning to come off as self rightous or any of that. I have simply found a way to feel better. (yes, of course the phobia still exists, but I am functioning better than ever with it). And, I would just like to share with anyone who thinks that maybe this path is for them as well.

\"This too shall pass\"

I agree a lot with Shiva...Yes, I was on Paxil cr for about a year and it was a complete lifesaver for me at the time. The obsessive thoughts and worrying were much better, as was my IBS...At the same time though, I was also emotionally numb to what was going on around me. I couldn't cry when I felt like I really needed to, didn't enjoy sex with my husband, etc. There are always side effects. I agree in the way that anti-depressants are like placing a bandaid on a cut the needss stitches. It may temporariy cover it up, but it wouldn't heal it and when you take the bandaid off, its still there. I would recommend therapy along with the medication. I am off of paxil now for a year and the same emet problems and anxiety that I had before are back now because I never worked through the actual problem...I hope that this makes sense, but I am confident that emet cannot be cured through anti-depressants alone. I believe that it takes good work with a solid counselor who can help.