Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know this is off topic, but I know alot of you have IBS. I feel lousy almost all the time! I am so sick of it but not sick enough to go threw testing. I need to know what IS ok for IBS sufferers to eat because my lis t is getting smaller and smaller. Half the time I starve myself and the other half, I'm just so hungry I eat all the crap I'm REALLY not suposed to eat and end up feeling like I do this morning. Then as I lie awake in pain all night, I guess I turn into a hypochondriac and start to wonder if I actually have ovarian cancer or something because I can't believe at 34 how bad my stomach is. What's it gonna be like at 64? I've told my doctor I want to be tested for food allergies but she said "oh, you already know what foods bother ya". I have an apoinment in a couple weeks but I'm just so afraid to tell her how bad it REALLY is. Has anyone found any foods particularly easy to digest? I'm also lactose intollerant(which I'm also starting to wonder about) and I had pizza rollsyesterday-with lactaid mind you,but that started to make my stomach worse. Not to be gross but I could'nt "go" because of hemroids soI had some wheat thins which did'nt help-only bloated me like a balloon. I'm so tired and depressed, I have so much to do today and the thought of itis just overwhelming me. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

the tests really arent to bad .. ive had everyone possible

endscopy

colonscopy

full scans the lot ... and it was ok .. its better to know an get help if there was a problem than leave it and things get worse ...

i have a problem with eating things like cheese ...caffine

when i first went to the docs i had to cut out all dairy for 1 months ....

keep your self a food dairy then you can always give that to your doc..it could always be a food allergy aswell as you present with the same symptoms aswell ... i would recommend you see your doctor !!

Hey Swift -

Not sure what kinds of foods are easier to digest, but I started taking Digestive Advantage about a month ago for my IBS (I'm also lactose intolerant) and it has literally changed my life. My tummy hasn't felt this good in years. It helps whether you have problems with diahhrea or constipation, plus helps the bloating and indigestion too. You can get it at Walgreens. I found out about it here (don't remember who), but it is really great stuff. I've been able to eat more types of food than ever without any problems.

Give it a try...

IBS is different for everyone...remember, its more of a stress thing so it will depend more on the day and less on the actual food. Somedays I can eat pasta with a cream sauce, and somedays I absolutely can't...it is different all of the time which makes it soooo frustrating. I am sorry that you are feeling so bad, definately been there (often). On thing that seems to help a ton is a warm heat bag or heating pad of some sort, really calms down the cramping, etc. Another thing that helps is to try to address the things that are really stressing you out or upseting you...sometimes you aren't consiously aware of them, but it is important to go to the cause and not just the symptoms if you know what I mean. Try to take some time to relax and try to breath, I know that it sounds cheesy, but they things really do seem tohelp. Also, exercise, just getting out for a walk helps a ton. As far as the foods, everyone is different, but some common things seem to be the dairy (like you already mentioned), rich foods as in desserts, cream sauces, etc. Too many veggies/salads this is bad if you have the d* sort of IBS and can make it worse...Carbs mostly seem to do well and of course the BRAT diet and slowly reintroduce things and keep a food journal.

Marby, what is digestive advantage?

I;m gonna try the heating pad tonight. All I've had today was half a roast beef sanwich(plain ole ketchup instead of bbq sauce& cheese[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img])and fries-which I'm sure I should'nt have had but how the heck can ya eat roastbeef without a side of fries?I'm gonna make rice pilaf tonight and some grilled chicken. I am just too scared about any testing. It's funny, I just was talkingto my mom about the BRAT diet yesterday . My little cousin is sick-I swear IT is everywhere!!!And I think I'm gonna start a food journal too. Thanks!!!!!Donna

Digestive advantage? OOhh, I'm gonna look for that-any scary side effects though?

You could try taking caltrate. I can't say enough about it - My IBS is in almost complete remission, and it's good for you because it gives you added calcium to your diet.

Try taking half a tablet with each bigmeal ( try not to exceed 2 pills a day, unless you talk to your doc about it) and see if you get any changes. It may take a week or so to work, but I feel 100% better. You may need more that half a pill ( I find that's working fine for me), and you can talk to your doc about increasing the doseage.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Sorry - been out of pocket for awhile. Digestive Advantage is a chewable tablet taken once daily that helps regulate the symptoms of IBS. IT REALLY WORKS. No side effects AT ALL - just makes it all feel better. I don't have any more problems withdiahhrea or constipation, no more bloating, indigestion or gas pains. It started working within the first couple of days. It has really made such a difference in how I feel, which has helped with the emet issues since mystomach doesn't feel "off" anymore.

Someone else on this site posted about it around a month ago. Not sure who it was, but decided to give it a try. If you have problems with IBS - I highly recommend it!

isn't there some type of medication available i think it's some type of anti-spasmodic to calm down the intestines which is causing all your pain
    ~Sheri~

In Canada we have several anti-spasmodics.

I currently take something called Modulon. It works great!!!

There's also one here called Dycetel.

I really suggest checking out this website for more IBS info. I
    found it a few years ago on a google search and it has been a LIFE
    SAVER. It's talk about IBS research and different foods that are
    good for people with IBS, etc. and there's a whole forum and stuff.

http://www.helpforibs.com

Check it out!! It's really a great site!!!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

The worst thing you can do is smoke, and the next is caffeine. Do you
    use alchohol or tobacco?

I agree with lgood. caffine is a HUGE trigger for me.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Quote Originally Posted by lgood22573
    The worst thing you can do is smoke, and the next is caffeine. Do you

use alchohol or tobacco?
    You are so right! My IBS is better when I skip the caffeine and go lightly on the smoking. I really need to quit!

I don't smoke. I usually drink caffeine free coke but when I have a headache or go out to eat, I have regular coke. I also drink tea in the morning-can't give up my a.m. lipton wake-me-up . Yesterday afternoon, I drank some pepermint tea and the cramping in my stomach went away.

Marby....Digestive Advantage has been my LIFE SAVER too...I love the stuff...i have been on it for over a year now and it's the best thing since Lotronex....it's cheap too...i love it...i get it at Walmart for 7.92 a box...i used to get it at Walgreens for 9.99 a box....it works wonders in keeping you regular. I have had IBS for over 20 yrs and nothing has worked for me except Lotronex, which they took off the market, and Digestive Advantage...I strongly advise anyone with IBS or thinks they have IBS to try this.....

I also smoke, and drink caffeine, and eat all the things i shouldn't....but DA/IBS just helps me sooooooooooooooo much......it's worth a try for those who have tried other things...also the calcium does work also...but i have trouble with stomach pain from it...maybe my system just can't handle it as well as others...but i did try that too.

Swifftette...i have found that no matter what i try to eat, or not eat, if i am having a bad ibs flare, it doesn't matter what i eat, i will react the same...of course fried foods, fat, sugar, nicotine, caffeine, things like that, acidy foods are going to not agree with your tummy....but i at times have even drank water and still had D from it...so it's according to your own body what you can tolerate...but if you will just try the DA/IBS...i gaurantee you will see a diff soon...it make take a week or so to get adjusted but it will work. At first it makes you alittle gassy, but that will go away....i take one every morning and i am usually good for the rest of the day....hope you get some help soon...i have had the colonoscopy and endoscopy done, as well as a barium swallow...which sucked...but the other two tests were very simple....and everything checked out fine....but i urge you to have the colonoscopy...i am 39 yrs old and i had 8 polyp's they had to remove....and had i waited, they could have turned into colon cancer...so really don't be scared, i was,but it was really an easy procedure......good luck and let us know how you are doing....K
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Okay, you two have just about convinced me to try the Digestive Advantage stuff.I am just scared about the gas/cramping/bloating the first few days. That's what I am trying to get rid of! Can you guys tell me how bad that was for you if you had it and how long it lasted? When my doc told me I had IBS, he suggested I take fiber and that gave me such bad gas pains, I stopped taking it and I am afraid this will happen with this, too. I know you have to keep taking it for it to work, but I'm a wimp. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

AARRGGHH from what you;ve been discussing I think I might have IBS after all - although I don't get the cramping that much.. only if I eat something too rich.. then I go to the toilet, have very bad D* and then its usually ok.

Could anyone tell me if these are the symptoms of IBS or maybe something else?
    <UL>
    <LI>Bloated stomach - looks and feelslike i'm pregnant and lasts a few hours to a day at least, if not longer. </LI>
    <LI>Really bad constant gas (from below) and its usually pretty potent too. (Sorry!)</LI>
    <LI>A constant 'uncomfortable' feeling in my abdomen, feels erm.. like its irritated.. not sure how to describe it, its just an uncomfortable feeling just in the middle of my abdomen just down from my belly button. Like a pushing feeling maybe. </LI>
    <LI>Indigestion and burping a lot.. my boyfriend says i'm forever doing little up and down movements cos i'm burping.. he says I do it so often I probably don't know i'm doing it anymore!! </LI>[/list]

I don't really want to go to the doctor to ask what it is because I don't want them sticking a camera down my throat! I also think it might just be caused by my anxiety and nerves and the doc will think i'm a hypochondriac!

Any suggestions what this could be would be really helpful..

Thanks! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

Mary - I actually didn't get ANY gas or bloating from the Digestive Advantage. It says you may experience some for the first few days, but I didn't at all. The stuff is awesome. Sounds like Kate loves the stuff too. I really recommend it. My emet is really bad right now - but I didn't have any issues with it at all. No side effects - except good ones!

Good luck and let us know if you start using it and how it works!

Thanks, marby! I might buy some and start on the weekend...in case there is any gas!

My stomach hurts again[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I sooo much wish I did'nt have the urge to eat anymore. I had my usual cup of morning tea. Forbreakfast I had a bacon andegg sandwich with ketchup-which I did'nt finish-and caf. free coke. I had some decadent chocolate cookies and iced tea. Then for lunch I had some chicken and rice with some more coke. Now I just feel like crap. Not nauseas or anything-it just hurts. I'm gonna have some peppermint tea and mabey a Gaviscon. I wish I coud be normal.

Why don't you try Digestive Advantage with me? We can compare how it's working!

Mary

Sounds good! I'm gonna get it when I go food shoping on Friday.

Good plan! I will get some then, too! I wanted to start at the weekend, just in case it gives me gas the first couple days...

Maybe the soda is bothering you Swiftette? I used to drink loads of soda and it totally inflamed my digestion and sparked my IBS. Now that I have quit drinking it my stomach is great most of the time.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

That is what my mom thinks too. I'm not going to have any for the rest of the day and really, really try to at least cut down to 1 can a day. I am coke(a-cola) addicted!!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]The peppermint tea worked for like a half hour and now my stomach is burning again. [img]smileys/smilies_29.gif[/img]And-I gotta go get my kids and they will be at each other's throats so I for sure am not gonna get rid of this ache! I just wanna go to bed.

The gas was not that bad...i promise....and listen, that sandwich you ate, would set me off for sure...i can't eat bacon like that in the am...it kills my stomach....i have been trying to eat a yogurt in the am.....it will also help your stomach...and also for those who have never tried the DA/IBS...they have other products too, like they have it for Lactose Intolerence, Chron's...DA/IBS for kids...and they have others too. I promise Harmonygirl...the gas is not bad at all...and you could always take something else to counteract that.

Kimmy....please don't be scared to go to the doc......i was scared for many many years...i am almost 40 and i just had the test done this year...and i have had bad problems for over 20 yrs...that's how scared i was...but i promise it's not as bad as you think.....I was petrified before my colonoscopy...mainly of being sick afterwards..and they gave me an anti emetic in my iv..and everything was fine. I have all of your symptoms...and the DA/IBS works for all those symptoms...gas, bloating, diareaha, constipation...it makes you regular...and it does work very well.

Let me know what you guys think of it after you are on it for about a week or so....K[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Kate

Thanks for the reassurance, kate...I will start it this weekend!

Mary

Good luck...and you know, give at least a good week to see results...you have to stick with it...i do notice that if i go 2 days without it, the symptoms come back...so take one every day!!I always start the morning with one pill...and it always works all day...i never have to take 2. Good luck!!
    Kate

Thanks very much for your reassurance re the docs and a colonoscopy Kate!

I might just try taking the Digestive Advantage without being diagnosed.. I wonder if thats safe to do? Is it a herbal or chemical thing, the DA? And I wonder if its called the same thing in the UK? I could always go to my local health shop and ask I guess.

Thanks again and i'm looking forward to maybe sorting this uncomfortable stomach of mine out once and for all! I'm sure it would help my Emet if I had less triggers in my stomach all the time.. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

x Kimmy x

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!