Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have seen some mention of this in some other posts, and thought I would ask... For a non-emet, is getting a sv like one of us getting a nasty cold- uncomfortable, but no big deal? I really can't remember ever not being emet, so I really wonder.
    I have gone to work with colds, and not thought much about it, but would never think of going in if I had symptoms of sv. The posts about sick people at work and school made me think of this.

hmmm....I wonder if I qualify now. not exactly, but I'm thinking if I had some 24-hour vomiting virus and I felt ok the next morning I would probably go anywhere or whatever.

I'd also eat now after vomiting if I felt ok.

but I'd never go so far as to say it's "no big deal". It would be nasty, and something I'd avoid more than a cold.

Having said that, I worked at the hospital all last week and this although it was crawling with Norwalk virus like crazy. "Guards" at each elevator with hand-washing stations and everything. geesh....

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

well where i work,the svis the only time someone goes home or calls in sick, because i guess yo feel so bad, when you have a cold it's mostly a nasal thing, so most people still go to work....most people i've talked to after having an sv tell me how horible it was or how sick they were, so i don't notice anyone saying it's no big deal, allhtough non-emets don't obsess like we do and worry about catching it or passing along, ya know
    ~Sheri~

Well- I only fear others being sick, not myself- and am sick quite often. To me it really is no big thing- I view it more as an inconvenience because it slows me down. The actual physical symptoms are kind of icky, but not really of massive concern unless they are severe or non-relenting. By all means it is not a pleasant experience, and I do take steps to avoid becoming ill (handwashing, food safety, etc)- but it doesn't consume my thoughts, nor do I let it stop me if I feel I have something pressing to do.

For me it is less the actual symptoms (as icky as they are), but more the inconvenience of having to put your life on hold, or semi-on hold, until this lets up.

*amber*

I don't know if they think it's "no big deal", but I know my husband always says that he'd rather be sick with a sv rather than a cold.[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

give me a cold any day!!

I would take the plague over a sv*!!!!!<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

Is it sad that I'd rather die in my sleep then wake up with an SV?

Sad? Yes, but I feel the exact same way.

well, at least I'm not alone[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Ppl with Sv usually call in sick i believe. Throwing up and having the runs are more debilitating that having cold for sure.

My FAQs discuss the differences between emets and non-emets. I think the most telling thing is reaction to nausea.
    <UL>
    <LI>Most people say they just want to get it over with as quickly as possible. </LI>
    <LI>Most people say nausea is worse than vomiting. </LI>
    <LI>The starkest difference is in the time they are willing to tolerate nausea. The average emet will fight nausea for 20 hours before giving in and vomiting. The average non-emet only waits 33 minutes.</LI>[/list]

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

wow, 20 hours? We're nuts!

Well as far as I can tell from my friends and boyfriend, its a bit of an unpleasant thing to them, but they do 'it' and then its over and done with. They don't dwell on it afterwards and they don't remember each occassion like we do.

They drink until they are sick and don't care, sometimes its even funny and they try to carry on drinking!! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]Or they go for pizza!

I've got one friend who has terrible food allergies and has always got a really sore stomach but she still gets on the underground and comes to visit or she will go shopping etc.. and her phobia is off 'scrumpled up tissues'. She thinks they're disgusting and they make her feel gross.

Maybe thats a way to look at it. Think of other people's phobias. Clowns, heights, flying, grass, birds etc. If you try and imagine being scared of any of those, we find it ridiculous, but to them it is SO real. Thats what it must be like to them for our fear.

Like spiders. Geez I don't like them. I DEFINATELY wouldn't want to find one running on me. But I don't go out of my way to avoid them in my everyday life. I don't think about them constantly. Or scan my house for them. My friend Sasha will walk a whole block to avoid a bird. Any bird. She runs and screams in the street when she sees on flying in her direction. No amount of comforting or logic will make her see sense that they are NOT going to come and peck her eyes out!! Madness!

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

I kinda went a bit off track in my last post..

what I was thinking was that EVERYONE if they had the choice would rather sneeze or blow there nose in front of someone else or in public rather than V*.

But to Emets its humiliating and scary and to non-Emets its embarassing but they do it and then carry on with their day. They don't obsess over it and run it over and over in their mind and worry what people will think etc.

Some non-emets i know even stick their fingers down their throats to get rid of nausea! Or

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!