Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, my brother called me this morning because we usually go out for lunch on Wednesdays. He told me that he had gotten sick at work last night and v* violently one episode and that was it. He told me he had a rough time sleeping last night, but was feeling better. He still really wanted to go to lunch today and thought that it was just something that he ate. I didn't want to disappoint him so I put my stupid fear aside and went to lunch with him. At lunch he told me that he just felt really "out-of-it." I didn't worry at all at lunch, but when I got in my car to drive back to work I started worrying "will I get it", "what if it is a sv*?". I thought that I was brave and now I just feel stupid and scared...I refused to let this stand in the way of having lunch with my brother though, but now I can't stop worrying...

Good for you for going out to lunch and not cancelling. Your brother may have felt out of it because he simply didn't sleep well. Unless you kissed him on the lips, shared his cup or fork, I think you will be fine. Feel proud of yourself for not giving into the fear. Each time you start to panick, just think, you beat emet today!! Try to focus on the positive. I'm sure you are going to be fine.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

First of- congrats on putting your family above this phobia. Don't feel stupid about that; that is the irrationality of the phobia speaking.You made the right decision.

You can't catch a stomach virus from breathing the same air as someone. Impossible. Also, if your brother has relatively good hygiene (ie- he washes his hands after he wipes) and you have good hygiene (ie- you wash before your hands make contact with your mouth or face), don't waste time worrying about this. The more time you devote to letting this creep into your thought, the more power you give it. Is there something you can do to keep busy?

Be happy that you had the courage to go out with your bro when he isn't at his best!!!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have gotten to the point now where I am so fed up that I don't care if it happens or not anymore. I am proud of myself for going and not making up a usual lame excuse that I usually do. Thank you for your kind words BabyGap...I am just plain fed up with my dumb self lately!!! I love my brother so much that I refuse to avoid him like he is a disease, I am tired of treating people like that. That is something that I CAN control, I just can't control the worrying that comes along afterwards. You are right Amber about keeping busy...I am really slow at work right so I have had all kinds of time to worry obsessively about stupid things!!Edited by: silver

I understand, I'm fed up w/myself also, but, you accomplished something today that you normally wouldn't have. I accomplished not running out of the house when my hubby v* from a migraine the other morning. I was proud of myself and you should be too. Rome wasn't built in a day, and emet didn't just start one day, it took years to develop. You are 1 step closer.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

You are absolutely not stupid! You didn't allow your emet to tell you what you can or can't do for once, stood up to it and slapped it in the face! That's a tremendous step and you ought to be proud - well done!

And well done babygap too!

[img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hey, congrats! You took a huge step, and I think you will be fine this time.

My sister & brother-in-law both had the gastro bug last week. They have a 6 month old (who fortunately didn't get it) but I knew I had to offer my help if they needed it. Fortunately,my sister knows about my fear, so was kind enough to let me stay away, but I did see them about 36 hrs after the ordeal, andstayed at their house for about an hour (without gloves or a mask on), breathing their air, and cuddled theirdaughter, and so far, so good (fingers crossed).

Was I petrified? Absolutely! Butas we in this site know,this fear can be so distruptive to our own lives, we can't letit upset the lives of those we love. Hang in there, be positive, and you will be fine.

I am trying to be positive today, but now freaking out...Scared that I may come down with it. The stupid thing is that I am more embarrassed about how I would handle it. I am so scared that I would have a complete meltdown and have to be checked into a phycho ward if I got sick like that again. I am more worried about how I would get home, etc. Its such an irrational part of this fear, worrying about all of the stupid stuff, but that's where I am with it. I haven't eaten much either. I am proud of myself for going yesterday, but dissapointed in myself for freaking out today if that makes any sense...

Good job for still being able to go. I wouldn't have been able to do that. He only got sick once, and now feels fine...you will probably be fine too