Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: update on cbt

well so far so good ... i feel that it is helping in some ways ... the anexity im learning to reconise and am able to put a stop to it before it gets out of control .... also i had a session yesterday and it seems as if part of it is ocd.... but also that other parts of my life seem to be making the emet alot worse as before they started i pretty had it under control and only worried about it given being in a situation with it .... so we are going to try and deal with afew other things first .. and see if that doesnt help .. were also looking at avoidence and safety measures i take during a day

i think im right im saying and correct me if im wrong but what ive learned so far is that although i dont like gagging it is the anxiety that makes me frightend at that gagging time and not actually the gagging its self .... does that make sence ???

I also hate gagging. What you say does make sense; that it is the anxiety that makes you scared, not the gagging.

yes, that's absolutely true. Even if it's vomiting. People don't actually fear vomiting (which sounds weird). The real fear is fear itself: that somehow, we're dying or there is some huge catastrophe. If you can separate the intense fear response from the gagging/vomiting, you're half way to the cure! Well done.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the theripist did also say that all the time you continue with the avoidence and safety measures that your feeding your phobia ...? is that correct ?

Yes that's definitely true. When you avoid something it gives the message to your brain that it IS something to be feared and avoided... I can honestly say I've cut down on the avoidance, for example I was in a bathroom in University and someone was v*ing in there, and I stayed until she left, and now I don't fear other people v*ing as much!

I'm just curious, how long did it take to get treatment?? And are you seeing a nurse therapist? I live in the UK too and I'm investigating different ways to go ahead with treatment[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

All the best with your therapy!
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

thank you

i paying for a cbt theripist currently ... but the national phobics society also offer over the phone cbt at £5.00 a session and the women who does it is a professor and is meant to be extremly good and that only takes 2 weeks .....

i found a theripist through http://www.babcp.com and phoned afew and asked around as they all cost different and again within 2 weeks i was seen i am currently waiting on the nhs list but i didnt want to wait forever so im paying

i also bought the book anxiety toolbook by gloria thomas which i must say very good

all about anxiety and helps you understand alot of it [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks junglemonkey - you're right. It's totally true that avoidance is the one "cause" of phobias. If you continue to avoid the stimulus, you will make the phobia worse. Of course, if the phobia is severe, as emetophobia often is, then you have no choice but to avoid because exposing yourself to the stimulus retraumatizes you and makes you worse as well. But whatever you can let yourself be exposed to...do it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I am in CBT as well. I was told I had to try to gag myself too and that scared me. I am eventually going to work myself up to it. One thing we are working on now is getting me dizzy. I relate feeling dizzy to v***. Hope it goes well for you!

i know what you mean!!! its hard to expose yourself but you have to do it to get better

just take very small steps !! thats all you can do [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

yes small but significant steps!

if i think about it hard enough, i actually can gag myself, that's how lame my gag reflex is - i can really really understand being scared if it.

but as they all say, one step at a time.

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::

Ugh, I gag myself just brushing my teeth sometimes. no fun.

i cant put things at the back of my throat, because that will make me gag! for example a toothbrush, and i hate going to the dentist because they but their fingers in my mouth!