Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey everyone..

I'm watching the Jeremy Kyle show and there is this guy on there who has a massive fear of Food. He says he has had it as long as he can remember, and he's 21 now.

He has a young son who is starting to mirror the way he eats, (or doesn't)and thinks its normal. This guycan only eat Hot Dogs and Sausage Rolls. He is ABSOLUTELY PETRIFIED of food on a plate. Or food anywhere.

And its got nothing to do with his weight or an eating disorder.

GEEZ and I thought Emet was bad.

The phsychologist is saying thatthis guy isso overcome by food on a plate that he will push it away and go into a fear induced avoidance. He is saying its a genuine phobia associated with food and that he needs CBT to change the way he thinks. He even mentioned that it could be because he is afraid he V*s as a result of eating, or becomes ill or poisoned by it as a result of eating. He finished by saying that CBT has been found to be THE BEST form of treatment for this problem.

Its appalling - apparently all his life doctors have said to him - you're old enough and big enough to start eating now so just do it, don't be silly. Why don'tdoctorsdo phsycology as part of their studying? So many physical ailments could probably be avoided if stress and anxiety were diagnosed and treated first and foremost in most people!! GRRRRR.

Sorry ranting.. i'mgoing now. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

Yeah Kimmy i just saw that, i felt so sorry for him, he looked so frightened bless him. I really hope they can help him and i am so glad that he came forward and allowed his phobia to show on National TV. The fact he has v* and contamination issues leads me to believe he is more than partly an emet. Isn't is funny that we all have different types of 'safe' foods though. His are sausage rolls and hot dogs and yet i wouldn't touch either of those with a barge pole! This phobia can be so complex sometimes[img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

Trinity

I didn't see the show, but it reminds me of a chapter in a book on OCD I read, the name of which escapes me, and in it there was a teenage boy who was afraid to eat anything, because he thought it was poisoned or contaminated in some way, and would kill him. He didn't seem to be an emet, but it was really interesting. He eventually went through intensive therapy, and slowly started eating more and more foods, until he became a reasonably healthy eater again.