Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Taking chances

Hey everybody! It's been sort of a busy month for me. I was supposed to move to Alberta but my dad and I sort of got into this fight and now I'm staying here and living with my mom and her boyfriend (who was a chef and has 20 years experience in restaraunts). My mom knows about my phobia and understands why I'm so cautious about eating questionable food but they both are convinced that cutting the mold off the food (such as a tomato) makes it okay to eat. They do this with everything, where as I'm ready to throw it out the second I see anything funky looking on the fruits and vegetables.

So I was wondering, using the recent example with the tomato, would you take the chance?

Her boyfriend is a great cook and I'd sure hate to offend him by always refusing anything he cooks. It appeared like mold on top of the tomoto and he cut it off and the rest of the tomato looks fine so I just wanted to be sure. I've been taking a lot of chances with food ever since I moved in and it's resulted in a few panic attacks, but I think it's one step forward to getting rid of this emet.

I would still eat it. Hell, I just did it today to some watermelon in the fridge, lol. Thusfar, it has never made me sick.

I also cut the mold of cheese, wash the rest of it and eat it- did a tour of a cheese factory a few years ago, and apparently that it completely safe.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good to know, thanks Amber!

My friends came back from Florida last week and all of them were sick and now I'm coming down with something. I'm feeling pretty miserable right now, I don't think I'll be eating anything for the next little while.

I've done that with cheese,strawberries, peaches, bread, etc. I even took a bite out of a plum one time and realized after swallowing that there was a worm in it. No, I did not eat the worm and trashed the plum, but I survived. You'll be fine and the food will taste great. Mmm, I wouldn't mind living with a chef.. yum!

Mold is the least harmful thing on food. Even if you ate it you'd probably be ok. I think to be "food-safe" you need to cut down into the cheese 1/2 inch or something. But I always cut mold off veggies like onion or whatever. Only if the veggie is soft and nasty all over do I throw it out. I wouldn't do it with bread cuz it tastes like mold all over.

It's meat you would never EVER do that with - and neither would Mr. Chef!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.