Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: gallbladder fun

I'm new here but have read posts for a long time. I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on Thursday, May 4th, and I am so darn scared. And typical, I am not even remotely afraid of the pain, just sickness. Has anyone had their gallbladder removed and how was it? The ironic thing though is that if I don't have it removed, I am certain at some point I will v*, because over the past year I have come so far as to swallow it down as it came up. (sorry) I've been in so much pain and soooo sick for so long. I mean, its time, but I really get so freaked out that I want to cancel. My hubby is wonderful, but I was talking to him the other day about v* and how he feels about it, and he feels like its just a natural part of the human body, and no big deal. He doesn't even mind it. I wish I could be like that. So, any encouragement would be so great. Thank you! Janna

Be encouraged! I volunteer on a surgical ward of the hospital and people never get sick anymore after surgery unless they're, like, not afraid of it or don't care and don't ask for any nausea medication.

I tried to do exposure therapy in a recovery room for surgery and I had to give up cuz no one vomited ever. They have such good drugs now that if you just say you feel queasy they give you something and it works instantly.

I've also had surgery myself and I woke up absolutely fine - I felt gross, but just told them and they gave me something in the IV and then I felt like a million bucks!

Be sure to tell your anethetist that you have a terrible panic disorder that gets triggered by the thought of vomiting (that's better than saying it's a phobia cuz the word gets overused). They will note it on your chart and give you anti-nausea meds immediately. There is also a wonderful little drug they give in recovery that is anti-anxiety as well as anti-emetic so you feel really fine.

So don't worry!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My mom did after her gallbladder surgery, but she sort of brought it on herself because she drank a cup of coffee only one day after she'd had the surgery. The technician wasn't supposed to let her have it, but he did anyway. Edited by: sage

I know lots of people who've had their gallbladders out and all of them seem to v* BEFORE they get it out (from whatever it was that made it necessary for removal--stones or whatever) and don't v* at all afterward. I agree with the others, just make sure they get something going in your iv for n/v and have injections/pills available for you after it's taken out. When I went under general anesthesia, after my iv was out, the nurses couldn't believe how I'd rather have the phenergan shots than feel a bit n*. LOL my thighs were their pincushions (and I didn't even feel n*! just took them as a precaution!).

So question--have you had any v* in conjunction with your attacks?
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Yes, I have had my gall bladder removed...back in 1991....and it was fine...i was very very sore for about a week, but never once did i even v or even feel sick at all.....really, you'll be fine...i know it's scary...i was petrified....and before they did the surgery they had to do an endoscope on me a week before they removed my gall bladder b/c i had about 7 gall stones in my bile duct...so they had to go down my throat and knock them down into my bladder to be removed.....i promise i am the biggest baby when it comes to surgery and i've had that done, and i have also had thyroid surgery done, and never have even felt sick afterwards....they give you anti emetics in your iv now so you have nothing to worry about....and it will make you feel better to just tell your anethesiologist that you would like to have something for nausea after your surgery and he will be glad to hook you up.....take care and good luck to you. I know you're scared, but believe me, you would rather have it out b/c if you don't, you know what will happen. I went through a year of major pain, waiting to find out what my problem was.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I had mine out in 1999 and as for the surgery, I was fine. In fact, I was back to work in 1 week. I wish you luck with it, I'm sure you will be just fine. You're in my thoughts.
    &lt;a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

Janna,

What a coincidence you ask about this- I was just about to post a new thread about the gallbladder surgery I just had a few days ago. I did not v* at all before and have not at all during recovery, so I wanted to let you know it's ok! I'm going to put the rest in the new thread and you can read more there. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Girl Drummer

Oops, got a little ahead of myself there, posted my reply before I had one. Thank you thank you thank you everyone for replying back to me. You have so put my mind at ease and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I feel like I can do this now, in large part to you guys. Well, I didn't actually v* with my attacks, but it was, well this is GRAPHIC.........it was one of those things where when I had an attack, I was so so sick that I had my head hung over something waiting, and so much pacing and shaking, and then taking so much phenergan that I was out of it for two days. This happened many times, and the v*did actually come up at times, and I panicked and swallowed it. How desperate is that. This gallbladder problem has affected my quality of life, and I just wanna blink and have it be next week. I hate this phobia, I suppose everyone hates the phobia they have, but I guess to the person who has emet, it seems worse because it affects us daily. Hourly. And that is exhausting. I will never get back the sleepless nights trembling and sweating because one of my sons acted "off" before bed, and I can recall every single instance that I was sick or someone else, even strangers. I can't even begin to imagine how much time was wasted pacing and walking outside and just praying not to be sick, when if I would have, I would have felt so much better. But I'd rather give up eight hours of tricks to aviod v* than thirty seconds of actual v*. Sigh. Anyway, I could go on, and I will later, but thank you so much for your support, I feel better. Janna

Janna,

I know *exactly* what you mean about the pacing, the memories, and wasting hours trembling, hoping and praying everything will be all right.

I just posted the details of my gallbladder surgery in the private forum (not a big fan of them being called up on google) if you want to read about my experience there. It sounds like you're suffering a lot more now than I did through the entire ordeal, surgery and all. You'll be so glad when the surgery is over. Just tell your doc and nurses about your emet, and make sure they give anti-nausea meds, and you will be fine. Don't worry! It's not as bad as you think!!

Girl Drummer