Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys, hope you're all well - haven't been very active lately (been going quite well out there in the real world, as far as emet is concerned!)

I just wanted to ask if anyone else here suffers from social phobia type fears about public speaking...? I do, and I've had it all my life, unfortunately. I have a seminar presentation to do tomorrow and am dreading it!

But I have come to realise that one of the reasons I dread it is because with nerves alsocome n*. That "going-to-v*" feeling you get with being extremely nervous scares me more than the talk itself!

I've always been very anxious when it comes to public speaking...and I've only just realised that this fear could very possibly be connected to my emet. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same when it comes to giving talks of any kind?
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Heyy I used to have similar fears but school knocked it out of me. In my last year there, I had to read a passage out in assembly (300 pupils, and like 20 teachers) and I was so, so nervous before it (one of my thoughts was "omg what if I v* all over the mic?") but I had expended so much energy making myself ill from anxiety a minute into it I was just so elated I did it. It'll make you feel wonderful if you go through with it. And public speaking anxiety is something virtually everyone suffers from!

The more you do this, the easier it gets. I gave a lot of presentations in my last year at school and now I have no qualms about it All the best with your presentation, I hope it goes well for you!
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think that's the only fear I DON'T suffer from- LOL! I really empathize with people who have those phobias, though. I myself do have some limited social phobias but they mostly relate to emet and revolve around not wanting to v* in front of people.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

I definitely do have this fear! I can never understand it....I am fine with acting, singing, or reading in front of a big group of people, but speaking my own words....no way! Freaks me out!! I don't think it's related to emet, though, since I am able to do all those other things okay.

Good luck on the presentation!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I had a fear of public speaking for a long time.....especially when i was in school and had to get up and do a book report in front of the class....it always made me nervous to the point of N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still don't like it too much, but i am waaaaaaaaaaaaay better now...i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for me now.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I'd rather be poked in the eye with a needle than give a public talk. I've always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by harmonygirl72

I definitely do have this fear! I can never understand it....I am fine with acting, singing, or reading in front of a big group of people, but speaking my own words....no way! Freaks me out!! I don't think it's related to emet, though, since I am able to do all those other things okay.

Good luck on the presentation!

Mary

Mary, I am the complete opposite!

I HATE acting, or trying to read and put emotion into words I did not write myself. BUT, when it is my own words or something I am knowledgeable about, I'm good to go. I have done presentations in front of hundreds of people and used to be involved with public speaking. It takes some getting used to (I may not be nervous, but sometimes my knees say differently!) but you do get used to it with time.

*amber*

Thanks for the kind words and support, guys! It did go ok, thankfully - funny how you always picture the worst, but it's never as bad as you anticipate! I did feel pretty awful beforehand, and had some horrible thoughts running through my head before getting up to do it (I had to wait for an hour and a half in silence! Just about killed me!!)

I did find some great advice about it on the net for ways to prepare yourself. I have done a fair few presentations over the years, but I think the problem is that I don't do them frequently enough, so by the time another one comes around I've forgotten how pointless worrying about them is...you know what i mean? Like emet, I think...or any phobia, for that matter. You forget that what you're worrying about is silly.

Still jittery...I can't get it into my head that it's over, lol! But anyway, thank you all so much, its nice to know I'm not alone in this! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

PS. Mary, I think I'm the same as you there, because ILOVE acting, too! I try to convince myself when i'm public speaking that it's just a play...sometimes it works!
    Edited by: angel13
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I think this is very common - I think it is only human to fear being judged - so when you speak in front of a group, you risk judgement from 10 people rather than 1, for example, so the fear increases.

I've struggled with this for a long time as well... but I know as each year goes on in university I'm going to be required to do more presentations, but I kind of look at them like a learning experience. I think public speaking is something most people have to work at to get good.

amber... I'm so jealous! maybe one day I'll have that confidence!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I definitely get scared when I have to do speeches as well. I just had to do one last week, and I was nervous, but not as much as I had been in the past. The best thing to do is make sure you're as prepared as you possibly can be. The more you say it, the easier it is to say once you're in front of people.

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    I'd rather be poked in the eye with a needle than give a public talk. I've always been that way.

Me too! I just can't do it. We were made to take assemblies when we were in the sixth form at school and I was an absolutle bag of nerves when I had to do it and all I had to do was read a prayer out. It was just the thought of all those eyes focusing on me. The whole of the night before I didn't sleep a wink and felt sick to the stomach. It was awful.

My fiance is so bad about talking in front of a group of people when he was asked to be best man at his friend's wedding he couldn't do the speech and the groom's brother had to do it!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb